new Heartland - what truck would be the best?

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
well I think IM going to go with A C4500/C5500 or the ford f650 .
I like the look of the f650 but more then likely it will end up being the C4500/C5500 I have found some good deals on them and the f650 is a little to pricey .
Is there any thing I should look for when buying this truck?
Like any good add ons that I should get?

sorry for all the questions just want to get the right truck from the start.

thanks for everyone's input ..

Air ride is a definate need item, or you'll beat yourself and trailer to death and low pro 19.5 tires (should be standard on 4500/5500 but many 650s have 22.5 tires, just something to watch for).

The F650 is a class 6 truck like my F800, my F800 is spring ride and it's a very rough ride with a 26k GVW (7k front axle and 19k rear axle).

One thing to think about is the class 4 (450/4500 series) and class 5 (550/5500 series) trucks you get the same engines and trannies that were put into 250/2500 and 350/3500 series trucks. Once you step up to a class 6 they are speced like big trucks, this way you can have the best of all world.

Thats where you can find that nice Ford Chassis with a Cummins and an Allison tranny built that way from the factory like mine;):D....... The downside is operating costs, maintenance costs and purchase price.

Now that I've probably helped make your decision even harder, good luck.None

tmcran

Just got a Sundance 2998RB.The dealer is installing a Reese Pro 15K. Any of you folks familiar with this hitch? TV is Chevy Dmax CC 2500HD.

mkcay2004

Air ride is a definate need item, or you'll beat yourself and trailer to death and low pro 19.5 tires (should be standard on 4500/5500 but many 650s have 22.5 tires, just something to watch for).

The F650 is a class 6 truck like my F800, my F800 is spring ride and it's a very rough ride with a 26k GVW (7k front axle and 19k rear axle).

One thing to think about is the class 4 (450/4500 series) and class 5 (550/5500 series) trucks you get the same engines and trannies that were put into 250/2500 and 350/3500 series trucks. Once you step up to a class 6 they are speced like big trucks, this way you can have the best of all world.

Thats where you can find that nice Ford Chassis with a Cummins and an Allison tranny built that way from the factory like mine;):D....... The downside is operating costs, maintenance costs and purchase price.

Now that I've probably helped make your decision even harder, good luck.None

are you saying to get 22.5 tires or stay away from them?

pmmjarrett

are you saying to get 22.5 tires or stay away from them?

Stay away. I'd look for 19.5 tires, trucks with 19.5 tires sit 3-6" lower at the frame than trucks with 22.5 tires depending on tire size and 19.5 tires are MUCH cheaper to replace.

Frame height on a 19.5 low pro truck is around 33" frame height on a low pro 22.5 truck is about 36" and frame height on a dock height truck with 11r22.5 tires is about 39"

Now the flipside is that 22.5 tires are easier to find in the middle of nowhere.

225/70r-19.5 load range F 12 ply tire has a dual tire load limit of about 3400 lbs per tire.

245/70r-19.5 tires come in load range F and G, 12 ply and 14 ply respectively and have dual tire load limits of about 3800 and 4500 lbs per tire respectively.

A load range F tire will be run at 95 psi and load G tires run at 110 psi. F tires will give a bit better ride than a G and 225s have slightly less tread depth and wear faster than a 245 which is only 1.2" taller making your frame height about .6" taller.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The C4500 will fit right into what Pmmjarrett is saying about tires...it has 19.5" tires, and with the pick-up body that we have, we sit almost at exactly the same height as a dodge 1-ton dually 4x4...less than an inch difference.

We have no problem hooking up our 3600RL Bighorn, and we're able to get just about perfectly level for towing (we also have an automatice air-ride system that brings the rig to level as soon as the weight of the truck goes on the hitch). As others have said the ride is NOT good, especially when not towing...but this truck really does the job. Just remember you will need either air on the pin, or on the hitch to protect the 5er from unnecessary shock...other than that don't think we could have found a better tow vehicle for us.

pmmjarrett

Just got a Sundance 2998RB.The dealer is installing a Reese Pro 15K. Any of you folks familiar with this hitch? TV is Chevy Dmax CC 2500HD.

Missed this earlier. Not familiar with that particular hitch but it's more than enough for the Sundance. Reese is a good hitch.

pmmjarrett

The C4500 will fit right into what Pmmjarrett is saying about tires...it has 19.5" tires, and with the pick-up body that we have, we sit almost at exactly the same height as a dodge 1-ton dually 4x4...less than an inch difference.

We have no problem hooking up our 3600RL Bighorn, and we're able to get just about perfectly level for towing (we also have an automatice air-ride system that brings the rig to level as soon as the weight of the truck goes on the hitch). As others have said the ride is NOT good, especially when not towing...but this truck really does the job. Just remember you will need either air on the pin, or on the hitch to protect the 5er from unnecessary shock...other than that don't think we could have found a better tow vehicle for us.

Yep 225/70r-19.5 tires are just about the same height as my 235/80r-17 tires on my Dodge dually..... within a fraction of an inch.... The 19.5 is actually 4/10" shorter if you use a tire height calculator:eek::confused:

If I was looking into a medium duty truck to pull a big toy hauler. I'd get a class 4 mabey a 5 but most likely a 4.

It'll be a lot easier and cheaper to maintain and repair than a class 6, 7 or 8 truck... or a class 3, 4 or 5 other than Ford, GM or Dodge........ It will also be a lot easier to find mechanics and dealerships that will even work on it. Once you've stepped into class 6 and above you are in a brave new world.

DW_Gray

I don't know if you got your truck yet or not. First of all, the RV GVWR shown on the Heartland website and in their brochure is not entirely correct. That's a one downside I have with Heartland's advertising. Be sure and look at the actual Certification Label on the RV. I have a 09 Cyclone 4012 and the actual GVWR is 20,200. I made the mistake of believing the salesman that my 08 Ram 2500 was good enough. Wrong! I upgraded to a 08 Ram 3500 and it tows just fine and it's still not overweight. There are plenty of others out there towing these big RV with 3500s. True, 4500 would be a much better choice. If I could have afforded it at the time, I'd gone for the 4500. If I decide to become a RV lifer, then I'll get a bigger truck.

Here is a link I found last night that may be helpful:

Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator

AL KADEY

ALLEYKAT&MOMMAKAT
Tow a 38 ft big horn with 4 slides. Tow with a 2500 duramax onfact this is my duramax had a 2002 now have a 2007. I do no even know the trailer is on behind. It pull the mountains here in the west like a dream. Have friends with fords and dodges who are amazed at the towing capabilities of the gmc duramax. I am a ex truck driver have had penty of experience driving and pulling. But i guess it is your choice and preference. This is my second bighorn trailer as well both same size different floor plans. Had trouble with the welding of the frame on the 2007