New to all of this!!!

uma55

We just picked up our 2013 Bighorn 3010RE. Super excited but somewhat nervous too!!! My husband and I are approaching retirement in the next couple years and thought this would be a fun start to a new chapter. We are planning a short trip (appox 500 miles)for the end of this month. Any advice tips would be greatly welcomed :)
I keep reading about the tires? is this a major issue with this unit?

Be Blessed
Tom & Teena

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom and Teena, congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Heartland family. There are a lot of great helpful people on this forum.
When you start your new chapter there will be plenty to learn, but we are here to answer any of your questions.
You mentioned tires. Yes there have been some issues but not with all brands. What brand tire do you have?
One thing you will want to do to avoid tire problems is to keep them inflated to the max pressure listed on the sidewall. You will want to check the pressure in the early morning before the tires heat up. Pressure will increase as you travel but that is ok as long as they were properly inflated to begin with.
Consider attending the North American Heartland Rally in Goshen, IN come June. Also Michigan has a large chapter and their rally in August is in da UP eh. Michigan Chapter Rally
You will meet a lot of great people at rallies and they will all have ideas for you.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Regarding tires - my best advise is the purchase a tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) - there are several brands available (we have a Doran). Then make sure you inflate the tires to the correct COLD pressure, check the torque on the lug nuts, and visually inspect the tires at each stop. Any sign of over-heating, cracking, bubbles, or tread separation, stop using that tire immediately and replace it. A infra-red temperature guage is helpful also to check for overheating. I one of the tires is hot then that indicates a problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Resist the urge to pack your entire wardrobe or every piece of cookware you own. With a little preplanning, you can decide what essentials you need to bring. Unless you're heading out to the boonies, you can find a Walmart on just about every corner and get your fresh supplies once you get parked.

If this is to be your first trip with the rig, I'd actually suggest you plan it a little closer to home or nearer your dealer. That way if something isn't quite right you won't be far from help.

JanAndBill

As I end up doing the driving, I find that it helps to stop every couple of hours or so, even if it's nothing more than doing a walk around. I'll thump the tires, feel the hubs, and in general just check to see if anything looks out of place. In the process the bending, stooping, walking, etc, does wonders for the body.

dskaczmar

We just got our camper too and are on our first trip as I type this. It's funny, I love this camper but already have camper envy! We bought our Bighorn at the Richmond camper show without doing any research. We were extremely lucky that we picked a Heartland but I do wish we would have looked at a few different models as I think I would have liked a U-shaped island rather than the center one that this model has. We have seven years to retirement and have a 13 year old son, as well as three dogs that will be with us all the time-God willing! Anyway, I'm excited about the whole adventure.

aatauses

You WILL enjoy your new adventure!!!! You ask for some pointers and here are a few----keep your tires to the proper pressure--check each day----torque the lugs on the wheels before starting out. If you can get the unit weight with everything you plan to carry---adjust accordingly to what is recommended ---you will run out of weight BEFORE you run out of storage space. Consider a pressure regulator for the water and a surge protector for the power. Remember on turns you have a lot of "swing space" behind you.
Ask, ask all the questions you can think of ---this is a great bunch of people who will always help.
al
currently in Kenai, AK