New to Bighorn

Maxx

Hello All,
Recently purchased a new 2017 Bighorn 3970RD. We full time, moving up from a 2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 29FBH. Been in it just over a week and 1000 miles, so far so good, and loving it! Getting adjusted to having so much room. There are normal working out the kinks of a new rig but taking my time figuring out the vast array of options and their various functions. I have already had help from the HUG here page figuring out the residential fridge water supply. It is quite nice to have every manual and groups like this to dissect the whys and wherefores of this RV.

jimtoo

Hi Maxx,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Maxx

Jimtoo thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the invite but we will likely never be able to attend any rallies as we work weekends when I suspect most of them are held. I will however be on these forums often as I like to know my rigs as well as possible and forums like this are a wealth of wonderful folks and knowledge.

Maxx

A couple of general questions not likely worth their own threads;

1) I have the residential fridge, I generally stay put for two moths at a time and power is not too bad an issue but it can be occasionally. Can I leave my inverter switch on all the time just in case I lose power? I am used to the RV style fridge where the propane can kick on if needed.

2)My two rear den slides have black marks from the weather stripping, the hydraulic slides system is new to me and as they all move out separately as the pressure hits them they seem to settle out at lightly less tight then the two forward HD slides. is that a matter of adjustment to the slide mechanism or is it because they are the last two slides to get the pressure? Fluid seems correct. Seems like something is slightly amiss due to the marks and that they are both slightly less snug in their out position.

3) The trailer suspension seems fine however, I notice a slight offset when going down the road and when parked level (slides in) with a mild lean to the driver's side. This side does have more weight due to an additional slide and the kitchen weight but I would think that would have been taken into account in the building of the trailer. This is before we add any cargo. Any thoughts?

4) And the most important question; How do I set up one of the little maps of the USA (here on the forum) that shows where you have been?

SNOKING

1) I have the residential fridge, I generally stay put for two moths at a time and power is not too bad an issue but it can be occasionally. Can I leave my inverter switch on all the time just in case I lose power? I am used to the RV style fridge where the propane can kick on if needed.

2)My two rear den slides have black marks from the weather stripping, the hydraulic slides system is new to me and as they all move out separately as the pressure hits them they seem to settle out at lightly less tight then the two forward HD slides. is that a matter of adjustment to the slide mechanism or is it because they are the last two slides to get the pressure? Fluid seems correct. Seems like something is slightly amiss due to the marks and that they are both slightly less snug in their out position.

3) The trailer suspension seems fine however, I notice a slight offset when going down the road and when parked level (slides in) with a mild lean to the driver's side. This side does have more weight due to an additional slide and the kitchen weight but I would think that would have been taken into account in the building of the trailer. This is before we add any cargo. Any thoughts?

4) And the most important question; How do I set up one of the little maps of the USA (here on the forum) that shows where you have been?

Welcome. Go here for the maps: http://visitedstatesmap.com/ Chris

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels". I can't answer all your questions but on the inverter switch for the refrig - no we don't leave it on all the time. Our coach got caught up in the inverter software problem in 2014 and we decided to upgrade the inverter instead of keeping the original. Most refrigs stay cool for several hours so I don't worry too much about loosing the food.

As for the suspension, you might have an alignment problem with the axles, especially since you see it dog tracking down the road. This will wear your tires out quickly. There are several ways to measure the distance between the axle hubs but we use the kingpin-string method. Drop a plumbob from the kingpin to the ground. From that centerpoint take a string to the outside hub of the front axle. The left side should be the same distance as the right side hub. Again do the same for the back hub. Lippert says they are within tolerance if less than 1/4" difference between the axles. We have Correct Track on our camper and with this system, we can have a truck alignment shop or our dealership re-align the axles. We have them checked yearly because of all the traveling and backing which put a strain on the axles. We also have our tires balanced yearly.

Maxx

Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels". I can't answer all your questions but on the inverter switch for the refrig - no we don't leave it on all the time. Our coach got caught up in the inverter software problem in 2014 and we decided to upgrade the inverter instead of keeping the original. Most refrigs stay cool for several hours so I don't worry too much about loosing the food.

As for the suspension, you might have an alignment problem with the axles, especially since you see it dog tracking down the road. This will wear your tires out quickly. There are several ways to measure the distance between the axle hubs but we use the kingpin-string method. Drop a plumbob from the kingpin to the ground. From that centerpoint take a string to the outside hub of the front axle. The left side should be the same distance as the right side hub. Again do the same for the back hub. Lippert says they are within tolerance if less than 1/4" difference between the axles. We have Correct Track on our camper and with this system, we can have a truck alignment shop or our dealership re-align the axles. We have them checked yearly because of all the traveling and backing which put a strain on the axles. We also have our tires balanced yearly.

Thanks Nabo!, I will shut off the inverter, it is strange as the remote inverter switch does nothing, it lights up but only when the actually inverter on/off is hit. Its obviously connected as the light does come on. perhaps I am missing something there...

As for the axles, it is not that it is tracking wrong, it is straight as an arrow behind the truck, but that it is tilting to the driver's side as if overloaded.

GETnBYE

Jimtoo thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the invite but we will likely never be able to attend any rallies as we work weekends when I suspect most of them are held. I will however be on these forums often as I like to know my rigs as well as possible and forums like this are a wealth of wonderful folks and knowledge.
Pre-Rally days are just as much fun! Don't count youself out because you miss the weekends, just check out the rally schedule and see what might appeal to you, not to mention time to visit and meet all the other pre-rally attendees.
Good luck the the new Bighorn and welcome to the group!

Maxx

Pre-Rally days are just as much fun! Don't count youself out because you miss the weekends, just check out the rally schedule and see what might appeal to you, not to mention time to visit and meet all the other pre-rally attendees.
Good luck the the new Bighorn and welcome to the group!

Ok I will! And thanks GetnBye!

Nuclearcowboy

Hello All,
Recently purchased a new 2017 Bighorn 3970RD. We full time, moving up from a 2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 29FBH. Been in it just over a week and 1000 miles, so far so good, and loving it! Getting adjusted to having so much room. There are normal working out the kinks of a new rig but taking my time figuring out the vast array of options and their various functions. I have already had help from the HUG here page figuring out the residential fridge water supply. It is quite nice to have every manual and groups like this to dissect the whys and wherefores of this RV.
Awesome - we just picked up our 3970RD a couple of weeks ago and are taking off this weekend, can't wait!!!

Nuclearcowboy

We have the same unit and had a 2016 Bighorn before this one. I would not keep the inverter turned on when on shore power - doing so basically keeps your refrigerator running on the batteries through the inverter, which will surely place unnecessary wear on these components. Doing so will result in earlier replacement then would be the norm. Where exactly are the black marks on your slides? On the sides? As for the trailer leaning to port, I wouldn't think the refrigerator, it being most of the extra weight on that side, would cause it to lean. I would have the Dexter axle/springs checked out on that side.

Maxx

Awesome - we just picked up our 3970RD a couple of weeks ago and are taking off this weekend, can't wait!!!

That's awesome! Enjoy your adventure and it's already an adventure simply figuring out all that these units can do!

- - - Updated - - -

We have the same unit and had a 2016 Bighorn before this one. I would not keep the inverter turned on when on shore power - doing so basically keeps your refrigerator running on the batteries through the inverter, which will surely place unnecessary wear on these components. Doing so will result in earlier replacement then would be the norm. Where exactly are the black marks on your slides? On the sides? As for the trailer leaning to port, I wouldn't think the refrigerator, it being most of the extra weight on that side, would cause it to lean. I would have the Dexter axle/springs checked out on that side.

I was under the impression the inverter switcher kicked on only when the shore power cut off, I have cut it off for sure.

The black marks are on the sides and leading edge of the two rear slides, behind the outer lip edge, as if they are rubbing when the slides are closed. Ill post some shots tomorrow in daylight.

I also would not think the weight of the fridge and stove when the slides are all in would force a lean. I will see about getting the axles and suspension checked out.

danemayer

Hi Maxx,

The output of the inverter goes to a dedicated transfer switch that also gets power when you're plugged into shore power.

When plugged into shore power, the transfer switch sends the shore power to the refrigerator. When shore power is removed, it switches to the inverter output. Of course, the Inverter must be ON or the refrigerator won't get any power.

So in your scenario, leaving the Inverter ON will protect your food from spoiling if there's a power outage - at least until the batteries run down.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Nabo!, I will shut off the inverter, it is strange as the remote inverter switch does nothing, it lights up but only when the actually inverter on/off is hit. Its obviously connected as the light does come on. perhaps I am missing something there...

As for the axles, it is not that it is tracking wrong, it is straight as an arrow behind the truck, but that it is tilting to the driver's side as if overloaded.

Ok and that's good. As for a slight lean to the drivers side, yes our did a little. It's not so obvious looking at the camper thru the side mirrors but when following it, yes it did have a slight lean and our guessing is because all the heavy stuff is on the super slide (refrig, stove, microwave, fireplace, & the tv) as well as the bedroom slide. We have added Center Point Air Ride suspension system to help level the coach while traveling as well as helping it be a softer ride inside. This is the second coach that we have added the Center Point to. There's a big discussion about the MorRyde Independent Suspension vs Center Point but we have chosen CP because we can control how much air to add or subtract as well as more from one side or the other. Hope this helps or maybe confused ya.

Oregon_Camper

Hello All,

Prior model was an Outback eh? I'm guessing you are Max2005 from Outbackers.com. :)

Maxx

Prior model was an Outback eh? I'm guessing you are Max2005 from Outbackers.com. :)

Nope! I was never on another RV forum until I started shopping for an upgrade. But that is a funny coincidence as my Outback was even a 2005 too.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok and that's good. As for a slight lean to the drivers side, yes our did a little. It's not so obvious looking at the camper thru the side mirrors but when following it, yes it did have a slight lean and our guessing is because all the heavy stuff is on the super slide (refrig, stove, microwave, fireplace, & the tv) as well as the bedroom slide. We have added Center Point Air Ride suspension system to help level the coach while traveling as well as helping it be a softer ride inside. This is the second coach that we have added the Center Point to. There's a big discussion about the MorRyde Independent Suspension vs Center Point but we have chosen CP because we can control how much air to add or subtract as well as more from one side or the other. Hope this helps or maybe confused ya.

That helps, I will check out the CP for that very reason then (the add more air to one side). Thanks!

Oregon_Camper

Nope! I was never on another RV forum until I started shopping for an upgrade. But that is a funny coincidence as my Outback was even a 2005 too.

Ok, but even the model of the Outback matched yours. The one topic asked about was a problem with the siding and how to replace.

Maxx

Ok, but even the model of the Outback matched yours. The one topic asked about was a problem with the siding and how to replace.

Wow, maybe it was me??! I did have a siding issue years ago on the Outback that ended up being fixed beautifully by Camping World, I don't remember joining an Outback group, I must have connected to get help for that one issue. How on earth did you connect those dots???