No power to radio

Parttimer

I made a mistake hooking my battery up. I hooked it up backwards ( Now fixed). Now my radio has no power and when I try to replace fuse in the fuse panel box the fuse keeps blowing. Any idea about what has happened? Everything else works, just the radio/ entertainment center not working. I have a 2011 29MK Greystone 5th wheel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Parttimer, welcome to the forum. Lots of good information to bge found here.
If you hooked your battery up backwards, then you blew the three fused in the connverter.
Find your converter and replace the fuses.
I don't know if this will help the radio, but the converter will not charge the battery with the blown fuses.

Peace
Dave

CliffP

Welcome! Either your radio is fried or a wire is melted between the radio and the fuse. Pull the radio and take apart the fuse holder on the power (red) wire. Replace the fuse. If it blows your problem is in the wiring between the radio and fuse, if it doesn't your radio is probably fried. Good luck!

Cliff

Parttimer

Sorry, pushed wrong button. Pulled radio and fuse was good. Don't quite understand why fuse in the panel keeps blowing when I replace it, but will keep looking. Thanks Cliff

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things come to mind.
Are you replacing the fuse with the correct size?
If the radio fuse is good, pull the fuse panel out and look for a shorted wire. Remove the fuse from the radio end and pull the wire from the fuse panel. Then check that wire for continuity to ground. That will tell you if there is a short somewhere.
Is your radio in a slide? If it is look under the slide for a plastic loom full of wires. Follow it and look for an electrical box. Look in there.
It is possible that a screw or staple may have pierced a wire.

Peace
Dave

CliffP

Welcome! Either your radio is fried or a wire is melted between the radio and the fuse. Pull the radio and take apart the fuse holder on the power (red) wire. Replace the fuse. If it blows your problem is in the wiring between the radio and fuse, if it doesn't your radio is probably fried. Good luck!

Cliff

Sorry, I meant you should leave the fuse out that is behind the radio and replace the fuse that has been blowing.

1 If it still blows your problem is in the wiring.

2 If it doesn't blow chances are fuse that is behind the radio didn't protect the radio and your radio is most likely bad. If it doesn't blow try replacing the fuse behind the radio and see what happens.

Cliff

Parttimer

Good news & bad news. Replaced blown 40 amp fuses behind convertor, pulled the radio and unplugged it. Got the 15amp fuse in the panel to stop blowing. The inline fuse behind the radio was good, but when I plugged the radio in, the 15amp fuse would blow. I think that I have everything working again but the radio is probably done for. I did mark my battery though so that I won't be as dumb to hook it up wrong again lol. Thank you for your info Cliff.

Parttimer

I was using the correct fuse and the fuses behind the convertor which were two 40amp fuses. Checked inline fuse behind radio and it was ok. Unplugged the radio and did continuity check on the wires going back to fuse panel. They test out ok. Plugged radio back in and blew 15amp fuse in fuse panel. I figure the radio is history, but I got everything else working again. Thank you for the info you gave me, wouldn't have known about the fuses behind the convertor until when I was out on the road. Marked my battery so I don't make the same mistake twice lol.

Thanks again cookie

traveler44

Sounds like you have found the problem. I am surprised that the radio blows the down line fuse-in the fuse panel- instead of the inline fuse. Most inline fuses are rated for less amperage especially on radios. I wonder what would happen if something else that is fuse protected were plugged in to that circuit.

CliffP

Sounds like you have found the problem. I am surprised that the radio blows the down line fuse-in the fuse panel- instead of the inline fuse. Most inline fuses are rated for less amperage especially on radios. I wonder what would happen if something else that is fuse protected were plugged in to that circuit.

It doesn't make a lot of sense. Had to scratch my head a little but here is my theory. Since the radio was causing a dead short, the fuse in the panel (closest to the power supply) blew because the dead short continued from the radio through the fuse near the radio to the fuse panel. The first place power met ground (at the panel) gave and that fuse blew. If something else (that was causing a dead short) was fuse protected and were plugged into that circuit the dead short would continue to the same place (fuse in the panel) and the results would be the same.

If the radio (or whatever - fuse protected) was working before the dead short occurred the fuse closest to the short (fuse by the radio) would have blown (the first place power met ground) and the higher amperage fuse (at the panel) would not have.

Clear as mud? This chicken scratched diagram might help.

2012-04-04 20.26.33.jpg

I'm convinced that it makes sense to me now. I'm going to test this at work tomorrow and will let you know if it works that way.

Cliff

CliffP

Parttimer,

Ignore post #11. I tried to make that work, even changed wire lengths. Luckily one of my coworkers asked what I was doing. Traveler44 is right, smaller fuse should have blown. (weakest link) What my coworker suggested actually does make sense. You have a problem elsewhere. When your radio is on that circuit it doesn't draw enough power to blow its own smaller fuse but with the other draw on that ciruit it adds up to enough to blow the fuse in the fuse panel. Sorry, I was thinking too hard and unintentionally started making things up. I don't know what else would be on that circuit. Technically fuses should have protected everything. Could it be interior/exterior lights, power awning, power jacks, power tongue jack or a dc outlet ? What other 12 volt things could it be? I sure hope you can get it figured out!

Cliff

pegmikef

You might try hard wiring the radio to a 12 volt source bypassing the fuse box all together to see if the radio does in fact work. I have in mind using a booster battery or maybe the 12 volt outlet next to the cable outlet. That way you might be able to eliminate the radio as the problem.

Parttimer

Sorry for taking so long for reply. I came up with same idea and hard wired radio to seperate battery and concluded the radio was the problem. I figure some of the curcuitry in the radio will only take current in one direction, and reverse polarity fried it. My tuff luck, but could have been worse. Checked everything else out in the camper and all is well. Thanks for your imput.

parttimer

CliffP

Sorry for taking so long for reply. I came up with same idea and hard wired radio to seperate battery and concluded the radio was the problem. I figure some of the curcuitry in the radio will only take current in one direction, and reverse polarity fried it. My tuff luck, but could have been worse. Checked everything else out in the camper and all is well. Thanks for your imput.

parttimer

Are you going to stick with the same level radio or maybe upgrade to a better one?

Parttimer

Are you going to stick with the same level radio or maybe upgrade to a better one?

Got a surround sound system by RCA at Wal mart. Has am\fm radio, plays cd's & dvd's. Hooked easy and works real good so far. Runs on 120v but thats ok with us.
Used some of the original speakers plus front and center speakers that came with the new system. I didn't hook up the sub woofer, maybe later, don't care for the thumping that it might make in a campground. Kind of sensitive to that kind of sound Lol. Lot cheaper route to go compared to replacing what was originally in there.

parttimer