Odd problem with water dispenser.

2010augusta

For a while now, about half the times we go to get water from the dispenser, we get nothing. The light comes on but no water flows.

If we open the kitchen faucet for a moment, and go back to the water dispenser, it works just fine.

I have installed a residential pressure regulator, but could it need adjustment, cleaning, or service, it seems like we occasionally build up water pressure.

anyone have and idea for a cause and a solution?

lwmcguir

Your 12 volt solenoid valve may not be opening all the way. Do you have a filter before the fridge? Could have a piece of gravel or something blocking the valve. Had one at home that seemed to change flows and it was the valve. Good luck.

Northern Virginia
I also think the solenoid is sticking. It probably has calcium deposits or other junk in it. I would take it apart and see if you can clean and lube the plunger. It might be just as easy to order a replacement.

As long as it sticks closed it's only a nuisance. Mine has stuck open a few times, but closed after about 20 seconds. We have had so many problems with the water line to the fridge, I have just shut it off. Seems like to me there are way too many crappy parts on that fridge. Then again, we have a top of the line KitchenAid at home and we are on are on our third ice maker. It sure does get old.

Willym

It's possible that the solenoid valve is not able to operate against the line pressure, although they usually operate better with a higher line pressure. I'd try varying your regulator setting to see if it makes a difference. The valve may also be on the way out, I've changed one on my fridge at home when it just stopped working.