OEM tires are now Westlakes?

avvidclif

I guess it would depend on which tires they are using. The ST235/80R16 LRE are 10 ply tires(3580lbs). The ST235/85R16 LRG are 14 ply(4080lbs).

I'll stick with Sailuns. he 80's are 4080 and the 85's are 4400.

T

TomMontague

I guess it would depend on which tires they are using. The ST235/80R16 LRE are 10 ply tires(3580lbs). The ST235/85R16 LRG are 14 ply(4080lbs).

I'll stick with Sailuns. he 80's are 4080 and the 85's are 4400.

We are using the 14 ply G range for Bighorn and the 12 ply F range for Traveler. I’ll try and post more tire info soon. We aren’t hiding the fact we use Westlake. We consider this a quality tire that upgrades our FW because of the quality of the tire and the support of the company supplying them. Lionshead also has 5 warehouses around the US to quickly support our customers in case of an emergency.

Talk soon
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TomMontague

Tom, your willingness to post on the forum (and that you obviously read it) is why a lot us value the Heartland Owners Forum so much. Thank you.

John D, I have yet to find any tires at Charles Schwab. May have done a few trades there but I do most of my tire business with Chuck's brother, Les. (Sorry I couldn't pass that up.)

Thank you. The information and discussions on this forum are extremely important to me. I don’t always chime in but I do watch.

I also don’t always have the most popular answer or the best answer but I will always give you the truth and hopefully that’s worth something.

Thanks again.
Talk soon
Tom

Gaffer

Just because they don't stock Maxxis doesn't mean your local Discount Tire store can't get them in a few days at most. On my BH3055, they were shipped from California to Portland in about 2 days. No extra charge. Discount sells 57 brands. Not realistic to expect them to all be in stock.

sengli

Time will tell if these tires hold up well. The cost of the tires if they fail is nothing. So having a warranty on them is great, but that wont fix the damage they could potentially impose on the unit. Having to repair the slides, they come into contact with a flapping tread piece of a failed tire, is the expensive part. I just have inklings of the not so recent past, concerning the "other" tires everyone knows about.

Last edited:

avvidclif

We are using the 14 ply G range for Bighorn and the 12 ply F range for Traveler. I’ll try and post more tire info soon. We aren’t hiding the fact we use Westlake. We consider this a quality tire that upgrades our FW because of the quality of the tire and the support of the company supplying them. Lionshead also has 5 warehouses around the US to quickly support our customers in case of an emergency.

Talk soon
Tom

Thank you for the update.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just because they don't stock Maxxis doesn't mean your local Discount Tire store can't get them in a few days at most. On my BH3055, they were shipped from California to Portland in about 2 days. No extra charge. Discount sells 57 brands. Not realistic to expect them to all be in stock.

Both Discount Tire stores I went to said they don't carry them anymore.

And if they can still order them, they didn't seem too interested in doing it or getting my business as they appeared more concerned with selling what they had in stock, to which I didn't even bother to shop them there.

I also tried to purchase tires elsewhere and bring them to a tire shop and none would allow me to do that.

They stated that the liability issues was the reason for this.

In otherwords, they were telling me that I had to buy the tires from them to get them to mount them for me.

T

TomMontague

Time will tell if these tires hold up well. The cost of the tires if they fail is nothing. So having a warranty on them is great, but that wont fix the damage they could potentially impose on the unit. Having to repair the slides, they come into contact with when then fail is the expensive part. I just have inklings of the not so recent past, concerning the "other" tires everyone knows about.

I feel very good about Lionshead and their overall quality. I’ve seen the testing to failure they’ve done on the tires we’ve selected and it’s impressive.

Talk soon.
Tom

I have the Westlakes on my new 2019 3760EL Big Horn and if they are as good as the 2 sets of Sailun S637's I've ridden on for the last 8 years on my 2011 3450TS Big Country, I'll be extremely happy.
The Sailun S637 may be a Chinese tire, but I will put them up against a Goodyear any day.
I had one (1) nail hole repaired in 8 years, and never another problem with Sailun tires.
I also dealt with trailer tires & wheels in Edon, Ohio, 55 minutes after I arrived there, I was back on the road with 5 new tires, balanced and installed.
Thanks for your information on the Westlake tires Tom.
Hockster

Oldelevatorman

On a couple other forums people run screaming away from Westlakes due to blowouts. I have Sailuns on my LM 365 and haven't heard a bad word about them yet. In the infamous words of Roseann Roseannadanna, 'It just goes to show you, you never know'!

CDN

B and B
Thank you Tom for being here,

Question I have is Lionsheads in Canada?

How is warranty handled? Will they drop ship tires here as Westlake are hard to find but the Sailun on my 17 Bighorn like I have are much easier to find in stock.

Brian

danemayer

On a couple other forums people run screaming away from Westlakes due to blowouts. I have Sailuns on my LM 365 and haven't heard a bad word about them yet. In the infamous words of Roseann Roseannadanna, 'It just goes to show you, you never know'!

Where are you seeing this? Google search doesn't seem to show people screaming about Westlake blowouts.

Oldelevatorman

I can't find them now of course. Prior to reading the posts I'd never heard of Westlake. Before the LM I'd never seen Sailun tires either! Just read a review on cars direct.com and Westlake are one of the brands they say not to buy! They say it's due to the fact that they lack some of the safety features inherent in other brands.

danemayer

I can't find them now of course. Prior to reading the posts I'd never heard of Westlake. Before the LM I'd never seen Sailun tires either! Just read a review on cars direct.com and Westlake are one of the brands they say not to buy! They say it's due to the fact that they lack some of the safety features inherent in other brands.

We discussed the carsdirect.com recommendation earlier in this thread. It's 11 year old information about auto tires. Here's the link.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've got a little over 700 miles on my Hercules tires now...made it in one piece!

And other than dirt, dust and a scrub on the curb at the NRA Campground (DOH!)...they still look brand new!

Big difference (better) in the way it tows over over the 'D' range tires that were on it before...

Heading north to Albuquerque next week for the HOC Rally there.

Wasn't it Bugs Bunny who used to say "Shoulda turned left at Alba-koikee!"? :cool:

Oldelevatorman

We discussed the carsdirect.com recommendation earlier in this thread. It's 11 year old information about auto tires. Here's the link.

Hope they work well for you! I'd still be sceptical. Are they doing things better, did they really upgrade their processes? What's the incentive for Chinese companies to anything different than they've always done? Oh yeah, we really care about consumer safety now!

Last edited: