OK a Stupid question

blkdodge

Why is it I can not put air into my tires. Air compressor has #130 psig and 4 different air chucks would not allow air to enter the valve stem. 2012 San Antonio with Goodyear G614 235x85x16 is their a different valve stem that I'm not aware of or what? They only had 97.5 lbs per tire and I wanted to bring them up to 110#.

57chevyconvt

One possible cause is that the air chucks are all made in China. If so, the plunger that opens the Valve in the valve stem is to large to go in the I.D. of the stem. I have had to take some of the China made chucks apart and file the plunger so that it will go down into the stem and open the valve to allow air to go into the tire.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the steel bolt on stems or the hi pressure rubber/brass?
Take a look at the Dill valve and look see if it appears to be seated too deeply.
Seems odd that your 4 chucks would not fill the tires.
Also, check the regulator on your compressor. The guage might say 135 psi, but you may only have 90 psi coming out. Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

blkdodge

They could all be CHINA made air chucks i guess. We are leaving early in the am so I guess I will find a place and try theirs.

As far as the regulator thats not and issue

Thanks for the quick replies.

David

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Also, check the regulator on your compressor. The guage might say 135 osi,but you may only have 90 psi coming out. Just a thought. Peace
Dave

I have had this same issue...not able to get the 110psi and it was the compressor. A small compressor rated at 125psi cannot seem to get the tires to 110psi. I have to borrow the neighbors bigger compressor!

porthole

Retired
Why is it I can not put air into my tires. Air compressor has #130 psig and 4 different air chucks would not allow air to enter the valve stem. 2012 San Antonio with Goodyear G614 235x85x16 is their a different valve stem that I'm not aware of or what? They only had 97.5 lbs per tire and I wanted to bring them up to 110#.

You may need to dump enough air from your compressor to have the motor kick in. This will fill the tank back up to max.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have a small air compressor rated at 125lbs. It will pump 110 lbs in my Goodyears but only if the compressor is running.

hoefler

Your compressor has a cut in pressure of 90 PSI and a cut out pressure of 130 PSI. Like said above, you will need to have the compressor running and building air, to get your tires over 90 PSI.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As alluded to, if you're using a small air nailer compressor to fill your tires, it may show 120 psi on the gage, but it won't put it into your tire unless it's running. When you first set the chuck on the stem, you get a little air until the tire and tank equalize, which is most likely higher than the point the compressor will start again. To overcome this, open the dump valve on the compressor until it starts and then stick the chuck on the stem. You're fooling the compressor into "thinking" the tire is now part of the tank and the compressor will try to fill the volume. You will have to repeat this for each tire since the compressor will shut off at its preset limit when you remove the chuck.

I used this method when I filled my tires with my 3-gallon Makita air nailer compressor. I now have a 12V Viair 400C compressor that runs to 150 psi and topping off the tires is no problem. Just did it yesterday.

dewwood

I have had the same problem with some of the made in China air chucks. Good advice above. One other possibility is you might have the outgoing air pressure set lower for using nail guns. The compressor will still pump up to 130 but will be limited to what the outgoing side is set at, check this out also.

MTPockets

You may need to dump enough air from your compressor to have the motor kick in. This will fill the tank back up to max.

This is what I have had to do.... You have to listen carefully for the air flow - when it stops, dump the compressor and then fill the tire again... I've had to do that 3 or 4 times to get to 110PSI ..... A larger compressor would help.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have had trouble getting the air to flow into the tire also. It is not my compressor but the fitting on the hose that connects to the tire valve. I have to press really hard on it to get it to engage in the dill valve. Probably, like they have said a Chinese made fitting. I think our manufacturers forget the US uses the English system and the rest of the world uses the metric system. Sometimes they are not compatable.

tireman9

Since you tried multiple air chucks I believe the problem is the valve core. Get a new one. You should be able to get one at no charge from a dealer selling your brand of tires if you go in and say " I am having problems inflating my xxx brand tires to the proper level and I think the valve core is defective"
Valves for normal automotive use have a single worldwide interchangability standard and there are not metric vs inch. This is like wheel diameters are always in inches.