One, (1) Uno, AC vent in bedroom?

LMC3

It appears two bedroom vents are all that were designed for this model.

The bedroom A/C issue to me (fyi, an uninformed person) is negative airflow to the forward vents. Cooled air enters the ducts from the second A/C above the bedroom in a manner that it draws air away from the forward vents. I've not look in the duct yet but I'll bet the unit just dumps the discharged air into the ducts at a 90 degree angle causing turbulence and friction.

Putting in "fences" like on an aircraft wing is probably the easiest aftermarket solution. I've not done this yet but will look to put a small /\ angle piece as close to the air-drop as possible to force some of the air forward. I'll update once I find time to experiment.

bob34787

the problems I have encountered is the collision of air between the main A/C and the bedroom A/C, they should have a way of separating them. the collision in my Landmark occurs in the hallway at the top of the steps. If I block off the front end of the duct work than all A/C seems to go where I want it. Second is the vent cover itself, they should be adjustable instead of the fixed grate type. I swear the people who design RV'S have never used their own products.

LMC3

Yep, I agree. Yet we keep buying them... I can turn the circular vents (with some resistance) but not open/shut, which would be great! I'm going to insert different air dam shapes into the air ducts from the bathroom vent, trying where you suggested as well and see what works. Thanks for the input.

ksucats

LMC3: At the risk of being thrown off the forum by the moderator - I feel your pain with Camping World. The manufacturers need to look at their distributors, their sales and, more importantly, their maintenance staff. It took CW in Grain Valley over four months to fix something (badly) that had to be totally redone. I took the coach to another brands dealer closer to home and in less than a week they had it reworked, correctly, and my coach back to me. That included ordering and receiving the exact same parts to complete the rework as CW said they had so much trouble getting. I feel for anyone who must deal with their shops. 'nuff said.

LMC3

I agree (by the way, War Eagle K-State! Sorry, I had to through that in).

This brand new unit has spent a few days shy of three months at CW with two main issues.

A water leak that was a true warranty issue fully on Heartland. Heartland people have been great to work with but a thin unprotected residential-grade ice maker water line in a 5th wheel roll-out wall don't go together. The issue was the line needed replaced not patched so it continued to leak. Every time I got the unit back, it was still leaking. This ended up costing Heartland new insulation and numerous shop hours each time the unit was returned for "repairs".

The other turns out to be all CW. One DC electrical issue would crop up after another; dim awning lights (CW replace awning lights), various interior lights dim or not working (CW replace lights), GFCI plugs tripping, jacks and refrigerator not working on DC, etc. CW never could resolve the issue so I asked Heartland to allow the only other shop in our region (who was not Heartland authorized at the time) to work on the unit. Turns out, all the electrical traced back to dead batteries. CW sold us this top-end coach with used re-manufactured batteries that started to dye just six months after the purchase. CW never thought to check the voltage from the batteries, just bolted on new parts and charged them to Heartland. The hours of shop time tracing one electrical issue after another and replacement parts charged back to Heartland could have been eliminated if CW had not sold the unit with new batteries.

A learned another lesson bloggers; when buying a new RV, specifically ask for new name-brand batteries for they are NOT included in CW or manufacturer's warranty.

ksucats

I would never have thought about getting used or re-manufactured batteries with a new coach. I know that it is the dealers responsibility to install such ( I don't know if they are paid for them by Heartland or how they are covered) but, if for no other reason than customer satisfaction, new should be the norm. Then again, it is CW. Not to plug a specific RV dealer but CW in Grain Valley MO has driven a lot of its business to another RV dealership just up the road from them. Heartland's Landmark is one of their major brands and they seem to sell them just as soon as they get them in. More power to them!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I am sorry it has taken me so long to update this thread and put a couple of photos of the additional AC exhaust vent that our dealership and Heartland RV's installed.

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Rod

TxCowboy

Rod, thanks for the update. Looks great!

Can I ask a boneheaded question? Is there a visual difference in the return vents and the supply vents? I can only find return vents (with filters) on the air distribution boxes in my older RV.

Hunter11

The return and supply vents in our unit were the same other than the return has filters. I have since changed out all the supply vents to adjustable ones.

danemayer

Can I ask a boneheaded question? Is there a visual difference in the return vents and the supply vents? I can only find return vents (with filters) on the air distribution boxes in my older RV.

Hi TxCowboy,

On older units, the 6" round ceiling vents are all air outlets. The return is at the larger square grill that's under the a/c unit, which is where the filter is located.

On many newer units, the round ceiling vents are divided into a set of air outlets and a matching set of returns. The returns have filters.

TxCowboy

Dane, thanks. I recall seeing some with filters in the newer units DW and I have been looking over and thought they were returns. Always good to ask the experts. :)

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Ours are just like yours. The exhaust vents have nothing inside of them where the inlet vents have a small piece of synthetic filter material in them. The AC exhaust vents in ours throughout the coach are on the drivers side of the fifth wheel and the intake vents are on the passengers side. Here is a picture of the new AC exhaust vent they installed. The other exhaust vent in the bedroom, which heartland had originally installed is the top left of the photo. The intake vent is the one on the very top of the picture and the other is depicted directly in front of the washer and dryer closet. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_8_10_15__10_37_PM.jpg
Rod

sgtbigb

Pull the vent cover from the one that is not blowing air, reach your hand in the vent to see if there is any loose trash or objects that may blocking the flow of air!

TxCowboy

The return and supply vents in our unit were the same other than the return has filters. I have since changed out all the supply vents to adjustable ones.

I asked about using these adjustable vents in another AC thread and the general consensus seemed to be that anything restricting the airflow into or out off your AC (including the vents) was BAD.

I have a 2015 Key Largo and it is also missing the A/C vent nearest to the closet in the bedroom. I have our unit at the dealer right now for another A/C issue and asked them to install the missing vent. They asked HL for authorization but HL says it was designed that way! I don't know which is worse a design like that or bad QA that missed cutting the vent in the first place. I am sure much of my A/C is getting lost in the front cap as even when both A/Cs are working the cooling of the unit is terrible.

I have a 2015 Key Largo and it is also missing the A/C vent nearest to the closet in the bedroom. I have our unit at the dealer right now for another A/C issue and asked them to install the missing vent. They asked HL for authorization but HL says it was designed that way! I don't know which is worse a design like that or bad QA that missed cutting the vent in the first place. I am sure much of my A/C is getting lost in the front cap as even when both A/Cs are working the cooling of the unit is terrible.

Update - I have sent a HL CSR a link to this thread and pasted some of the pertinent posted in an email. Hopefully that will be sufficient for them to authorize the repair,

- - - Updated - - -

Update - I have sent a HL CSR a link to this thread and pasted some of the pertinent posts in an email. Hopefully that will be sufficient for them to authorize the repair,

Update 6/20/16 - Called HL CS and was once again told my unit is designed to have only one AC vent in the bedroom. When i was transferred to a regional rep all I got was voice mail. I left a message with my number but I am not holding my breath for a call back. I am not a happy camper at this point! :mad:

danemayer

Update 6/20/16 - Called HL CS and was once again told my unit is designed to have only one AC vent in the bedroom. When i was transferred to a regional rep all I got was voice mail. I left a message with my number but I am not holding my breath for a call back. I am not a happy camper at this point! :mad:

If the air conditioning is not sufficient in the bedroom, have you considered just asking them to correct that problem without specifying how it gets corrected. Sometimes by asking for a specific action, the the reason for the action gets lost in the discussion.

aRAYwego

I also have a 2015 LM Key Largo but I have 2 returns and 2 vents in the bedroom. How can yours be designed for only one vent? Think someone at the dealership is dropping the ball. I would be calling HL with my vin# to hear what they say with my own ears.