One key fits all.....

Pizzadigger

My wife and I didn't like having three different keys to access the doors and compartments on our Big Country. I found rvlocksandmore.com :angel: and ordered new baggage door slam locks and compartment door cam locks key same as our entry door. Our SOB we had for 18 years used three keys also, real pain. Now 1 key opens everything.:cool:

Garypowell

I like this idea. Not only for the convenience but some added security. I realize there seems to be a great honor code amongst RVers. You rarely hear of a neighbor going into your compartments. But with everyone having the same 751 key it does cause one to think about it.

On the other side as my dad used to say "locks only keep the honest people out" so there is no reason to go crazy because if they want in....they will get in.

I looked at the web and their stuff seems reasonably priced.

Thanks for sharing!

Pizzadigger

Their prices are good . I found that I had to order their metal backing plates for the slam latches so they would tighten properly. Otherwise they were a perfect fit. I think I spent less than $60 on this mod and we are very pleased.

Garypowell

I was at my rig today and took a look. the slam latches are pop riveted to the trip on the inside of the doors. I suppose this is common and I have drilled out pop rivets in the past. My question is if these replacement locks have to be pop riveted in like this....or do they use a screw of some sort.

And my slam latches (2013 model) has a backing plate inside. As I mentioned above it is pop riveted to the trip on the door. But does this piece not work with their locks.....so you have to buy their backing piece OR....did you not have any backing pieces?

Thanks,

Pizzadigger

I have those plastic backing plates as well with pop rivits. I just used the existing screws and put the metal backing plates on over the plastic ones. Kind of using the plastic plates for gaskets. Small pain to line things up but when I got everything tight looks and works perfect. pretty sure our latches are the same.

Andy

alex00

Since my trailer has two entry doors, and neither is keyed alike, I am seriously considering going this route. I'm just afraid of ruining my perfect streak of always putting the wrong key in the lock first. I'm torn between the keyless entry lock, and this setup. It's too bad I can't get the keyless lock keyed to this setup for the ultimate solution to this problem.

eddylives

When we picked up our unit new I also changed all the locks and even replaced every thumb latch with a lock for added security.
I removed all the locks , bought the same style extras to cover the thumbs and brought them all to a local lock shop and had them keyed alike for under $50 or so.
The only lock that was an issue was the short barrel lock on the outdoor shower door....it is a little fussy at times with the new unique key.
Gives me peace of mind that a thief will have to physically break in and not just have a hand full of keys to gain access (this had happened to others around us in the past while boon docking)

ICamel

This thread rocks! I ordered cam locks the same as my big door lock on 4/8 and they arrived and were installed today. One less key on the key-ring, and a little more peace of mind on the security of the baggage door locks. Very satisfied with RVLocks&More! And on a side note, I now have an extra 4 keys that fit all the doors.