One satellite box feed to all the TV’s

HornedToad

This modification is about wiring one satellite box to feed a signal to all the TV’s in the trailer.

Originally I paid the cable guy to set this up. He brought the signal in from the satellite dish on the pre-wired satellite in connection to the box. He then hooked up the box with a red/white/yellow AV cable directly to the main TV and connected the TV out from the box with a coaxial cable backwards into the over the air antenna line. This did send a signal back to all the other TV’s, but the picture quality was marginal.

I complained about the picture quality in a post on the forum and one of the moderators said it was probably because you could not feed the signal back through the over the air antenna line if it did not have bi-directional splitters and suggested I could run a long coaxial cable from the box and connect it to the exterior cable in to test. That solved the problem with the picture quality and it worked so well I decided to hook it up that way permanently. I wish I could blame all my hair brained ideas on the moderator.

Since I had already drilled a hole in the side of the trailer for power to the garage AC it was easy to add a coaxial inlet. I ran this new coaxial in from the garage through the wall directly to the satellite box, hooked the TV out from the satellite box back through the wall to the satellite in outlet for the garage TV and jumped the signal outside with a 1 ft coaxial cable from the exterior satellite in line, which was now the satellite box TV out, to the exterior cable in. This sent a clear picture to all the TV’s in the trailer.

Going back and forth through the wall to the garage TV power/coaxial outlet let me Velcro the box on top of a cabinet to get it up off the counter and keep the cables out of sight. An added bonus of having the box on top of the cabinet was that I have a direct line of sight from the bedroom for the remote.

TV 1.jpgTV 2.jpgTV 3.jpgTV 4.jpgTV 5.jpgTV 6.jpgTV 7.jpgTV 8.jpg

I know every trailer is wired a little different, so you may not be able to do it exactly this way, but the idea of wiring one satellite box to feed a signal to all the TV’s in the trailer works well for me because I have cable TV at home and don’t want to pay extra for a bunch of satellite boxes on the trailer. With two exterior satellite in lines you may be able to rig your box up this way without a new coaxial in line if you could get to both of them from the box and get rid of any splitters. Use one in from the dish antenna and the other out to jump to the cable in. I couldn’t get to both of mine because one ran to the main TV/garage and the other went up to the front bedroom/basement. On my trailer access to the splitters for the satellite lines was right behind the exterior cover plate but I could never get to all the splitters on the over the air antenna line.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, Depending on what receiver and remote you have, you may be able to change it over to an RF signal so "line of sight" isn't required. When I originally wired our Bighorn I had an HD DVR that was capable of RF so I found an RF capable remote on Ebay pretty cheap and was able to use the same remote in the BR. We've since upgraded to the Genie and I found all the power supplys and other needed things on Ebay. Now all I have to move is the receivers. Very convenient now.
It's really nice being able to set our RVs up to fit our own specific situations. Thanks for the post.