Ordered A New Cyclone

Well my wife and I just ordered a new 4100 King, it should be ready sometime around the end of April, we traded in our 2005 Raptor, looking forward to seeing posts here about what other owners have to say about their 4100 kings. I had no problem towing my old trailer that had a loaded weight of around 15,000 when loaded, the new trailer will weigh in at just over 18,000, I hope that is not going too be too much for my 2007 F-350 6.0 L PS, will have to see, might have to look into a Freightliner next to pull it with. :cool:

jimtoo

Hi Davechandler,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Now the hard time begins...WAITING. :) Check out all the mods that others have made and start planning things to do to your new toy to make it YOURS!

Enjoy the forum and join us at rallies where you will meet the best folks and have some of the best food in the world.

Jim M

Last edited:

scottyb

Hello Dave and welcome to the club. You are going to love your 4100. I'm assuming your F350 is a DRW? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble pulling it, although the newer trucks have much higher tow ratings. If it is a SRW, you will be overloading the rear axle and tires. I had the same problem with my Chevy 3500 SRW and, after 4500 mi, decided it wasn't worth the risk. I would seriously look at ordering it with different tires than the stock Powerking Towmax. Take a moment and search this forum for "Towmax", and you can draw your own conclusion. This //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/35956-Powermax-TowMax-tires?highlight=towmax is one of the latest of many topics concerning those tires. I wish I had the option of ordering it wiith alternate tires but I purchased an already built unit, and didn't know any better at the time. It cost me $2K+ to get new tires after we got it home.

Good luck and keep us posted upon it's arrival.

oscar

Welcome........ We just spent our first week (two more to go) in our brand new 4100 and we are LOVING it. It will need little tweaks here and there, but that is normal. Nothing major, and everything is working as advertised.

As far as your truck, I hope it is a dually. I'm pulling ours with a Chevy 3500 Dmax CC, DRW and its adequate, but earning it's keep. Yes, a Peterbilt would be nice......

There is a wealth of information on this forum, plus a boatload of people that are willing to help out, even if the question has been asked before.

Finally, when you get yours, pay heed to the yellow sticker on the left front, and plan your load accordingly. With a good deal of options, and a vacation load it is almost impossible not to go over 18K, even when watching the liquids. Now, exceeding 18K is one thing, but exceeding the axle weights, the tire weights, the tow vehicle trailer weight or its axle and tire weights is another story. Ours is a little over 18K, but we're good on all the other weights.

Learn the numbers and manage the risk accordingly.

I wonder if it would be worth making a DRW out of my truck? it is a F-350 and the rear axle looks like it will accommodate a set of duels I would just have to find a set of fenders for the box. I had no problem towing the old trailer and that was a toy hauler, we would load a Polaris Ranger in it along with 2 or 3 sets of scuba gear, several tanks and weights and just about everything else that we thought we might need for the weekend and I'm sure that trailer would be 16,000 +++, however I can see where I might need a DRW. A frightliner crew cab with a 350 cummins and a Allison automatic would be nice, that would pull it, bet the wife would like that idea !! however it was her idea to buy this trailer, and I told her that it might max my truck out. Well any ideas on this ??

oscar

If you replace the axle with a dually axle (not duels, there are no pistols involved) you can add the fender and have a better rear end. Don't know if your tranny is ready for that though. If you just add a wheel with a kit out of a catalog but leave the pumpkin the way it is you are asking for trouble.

Well just did a bunch of research and found out that making a Duelly out of my 2007 F-350 diesel is not a option, so now the search is on for a 2013 Ford F-350 DRW diesel. Thanks for the info here. Will let you all know how the search goes.

porthole

Retired
now the search is on for a 2013 Ford F-350 DRW diesel.

New Ford?
Go to this page:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/brochures/

Request a brochure by MAIL, link on the bottom right.

In several weeks you will get a mini brochure with an extra 750-1500 bucks off rebate. This is a private rebate that is on top of all other offers.

Key though is to make sure the dealer does not know you have it when you work out your deal. It will show up under your name when the dealer inputs your info.
I got my extra 750 after I ordered the truck, but when the dealer did the paperwork on delivery it showed up on their system, so the sales manager "increased the cost", then reduced it by my rebate back to the original deal price. Underhanded and sneaky, but he didn't get away with it.

There are a lot of us on the forum with the 2011+ Super Duty, and all but one have had great results with the new model/engine/trans combo.

You may need airbags. The new suspension is designed for a better ride un-loaded. So with a heavy trailer it tends to sag in the rear a bit. The truck can handle it and even with 3000 pounds of pin weight in the bed it doesn't hit the overload tabs.

But, the DRW has 2 blocks under the springs where all the SRW's have 4" blocks. SRW's look level with a trailer, DRW's sit nose high because of this.
You could change out the blocks, but then the truck sits higher in the rear unloaded.
One of the decisions for me when I bought the new truck was the unloaded rear bed height and the Ford is the lowest.

jnbhobe

I did the same as Duane except my dealer didn't play games. We used the X-plan thru GE then my dealer pulled all the add on fees ford sticks in there out for us.

OK,I'm looking at a new F-350 DRW at my local dealer, it is a King Ranch and is loaded, but it has a standard rear end, not the limited slip, is this a big thing ??

scottyb

For me it would be a deal killer because I drive off roads a lot. Are you looking at 2WD or 4WD? I watched a non limited slip 4WD try to dislodge a a frozen-in trailer. It wouldn't budge it. Right front and left rear tires just spun. Another friend with LS backed in front of him and pulled them both with ease and w/o spinning a tire. I would think you would need it in MN, and when you are spending that much money, you should get what you want.

tmcran

From what I've seen Ford Limited Slip is about useless. It would sure not be a deal breaker. However, for me its 4x4 only. I have pulled 4 Ford's with LS over the years. Most were on wet grass.

oscar

All depends..... If you avoid winter weather and stay on neatly paved or at least graveled and groomed campgrounds it's no big deal.

If, like me, you attend events where the "RV lot" is basically a grass field, which after a few good showers and 50 RV's churning around into it turns into a muddy green slippery mess, you need 4WD AND a limited slip and all the skill you can muster to pull the mother out of there.....

scottyb

From what I've seen Ford Limited Slip is about useless. It would sure not be a deal breaker. However, for me its 4x4 only. I have pulled 4 Ford's with LS over the years. Most were on wet grass.

Let the games begin. Although I loved my 2007 Chevy for 185K miles, I didn't notice any superiority in it's LS from my current Fords, nor the Fords I drove before the Chevy. I drive offroads almost every day of the week and I stuck my Chevy just as much as any Ford.

Last edited:

tmcran

Let the games begin. Although I loved my 2007 Chevy for 185K miles, I didn't notice any superiority in it's LS from my current Fords, nor the Fords I drove before the Chevy. I drive offroads almost every day of the week and I stuck my Chevy just as much as any Ford.
I think the G80 option on the Chevy works better than Ford LS. Howerver, its still nowhere near gonna get ya out of wet grass are slimy mud. Thus the reason for getting 4x4 for me. Of course I also need it for getting over muddy rough ranch roads.

Thanks everyone for the input, it sure has been helpful, I should look and see what my 07 F-350 is, do not know if it is LS or not, and yes the new truck is a 4 x 4, I would not own another truck with out it

porthole

Retired

"Limited slip" is limited slip, doesn't matter if if it is Ford, GMC or Ram. The name describes how it works.

The F-150s have an electronic locker in the rear axle, now that would be nice in the big trucks, and why they are at it, why not add an electronic locker in the front axle!

As to Dave's question - I would pass. Surprised living in a snow belt the dealer would even order it that way.

jnbhobe

Duane, you can get the electronic locker in the F-250 and F-350 SRW trucks. I have it in mine.