Outside fins of refridge

Gas20

I hear about the fan/fans on the rear outside of the refridgerator and the fans blowing the hot air out the top exhaust. What does the fins do exactly for the refridgerator? There are two wires attached to the fins what do these do ? My Elkridge only has one fan and I am thinking about adding another fan maybe two anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The simple answer is that the fins help dissipate heat.
The two wires that you see should be attached to a small thermostat. This will tell the fan when to turn on.
Adding more or larger fans will help with cooling. A computer store will have them.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

Gas20

Thanks Dave, I saw a post about some member adding the extra fans, did he wire them with the original fan and they would all come on at once. I cannot find his post.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I did exactly that. You should have a red wire and a black wire going to your fans. Just hook the new fan wires accordingly.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

wdk450

Like Cookie said: A refrigerator removes heat energy from inside the box and transfers it to the outside air, thus making the inside of the box "cold" (i.e. less heat energy). The outside venting air path across the fins of the refrigerator is extremely important in ammonia adsorption refrigerators used in RV's.