Patio Awning for Door-side Slide-out

timk

a couple of pics on a bighorn

Sounded like such a good idea, I went out and got one. Ordered it from a guy with a bad attitude at camping world. Said it couldn't be done. Which of course made me want to do it even more. We've only been out one week, and so far we have used it more than the main awning.

Attachments

• P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 67

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
timk said:
Sounded like such a good idea, I went out and got one. Ordered it from a guy with a bad attitude at camping world. Said it couldn't be done. Which of course made me want to do it even more. We've only been out one week, and so far we have used it more than the main awning.

We had ours installed last fall and had not really used it that much till we went to the beach. It is really nice to have the extra covered sitting area. It has gotten alot of looks from folks walking by. Great investment. Have not had any problems with it. As a side note the second AC is also great.

trdeal

timk said:

timk, how are you liking your second awning? Gives you alot of extra sitting space. When we were at the beach a few weeks ago,we had alot of folks stop and look at ours. Some ask questions and some just pointed. We really enjoyed ours. We felt that it was a great investment for us.

timk

We've been having rain every day for the last 3 weeks. Its really nice to be able to leave the windows open and have a little more dry space.

trdeal

timk said:
We've been having rain every day for the last 3 weeks. Its really nice to be able to leave the windows open and have a little more dry space.
YEP, You are right.Glad we did it.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey Timk

Did you mount the arms on the side at the flange edge or in bound? Install a rail at the top? below the flange? Did you think about installing an electric unit?

DE

trdeal

DE, check out thread #14 for a couple of pictures of how the awning is attached to the slide out. Wish we had thought about having the electric one installed on our slide out before we had the manual one installed. We do love the manual one though.

jbeletti

I have the Weather Pro electric awning in the standard position on my Landmark but would like to have at least window awnings on the door-side slide-out windows. Taking it a step further as Timk and others here have done and/or are considering, having a full standard awning would be nice.

Since my existing awning is electric, I was thinking that it might give me more options to get a manual full width awning for the slide-out. That way, it can be staked down whereas the electric one cannot. Also, the manual awning can accept the Patio Room option whereas the electric awning cannot.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the convenience of two electric awnings. Just thinking that I may get more use out of a manual awning in the second position.

Thoughts?

Jim

ct0218

I agree with you Jim. The electrics we have are nice and convenient, but the rain tip feature does prevent you from securing it to the ground, attaching light sets, etc. I like Terry Deal's awning on the slide.

trdeal

Jim Beletti said:
I have the Weather Pro electric awning in the standard position on my Landmark but would like to have at least window awnings on the door-side slide-out windows. Taking it a step further as Timk and others here have done and/or are considering, having a full standard awning would be nice.

Since my existing awning is electric, I was thinking that it might give me more options to get a manual full width awning for the slide-out. That way, it can be staked down whereas the electric one cannot. Also, the manual awning can accept the Patio Room option whereas the electric awning cannot.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the convenience of two electric awnings. Just thinking that I may get more use out of a manual awning in the second position.

Thoughts?

Jim
Good points Jim. When we have our awnings out we do stake them down and we do like to hang lights from them,so with that in mind we did make the right choice to go with the manual.If you do go with the second patio awning I am sure you will enjoy it.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I have witness a number of awnings damaged and rip from campers during a bad storm. Some were staked down and that did not stop the damage. An awning acts like a very large sail. The only safe position is in the closed position during a storm. So I vote for an awning that will close real fast. Now you do have a good point about the lights.

trdeal

dieselengineer said:
I have witness a number of awnings damaged and rip from campers during a bad storm. Some were staked down and that did not stop the damage. An awning acts like a very large sail. The only safe position is in the closed position during a storm. So I vote for an awning that will close real fast. Now you do have a good point about the lights.
You are right.When we were at the beach we saw several awnings torn or ripped off or the arms or tube broken due to water and wind. With the help of some friends and some quick action on our part we avoided this problem, but it can happen very quickly and easily.If you have your awning staked out you had better keep a watchful eye on the sky and if you leave the campground for an extended period of time roll the awning up.

timk

dieselengineer said:
Hey Timk

Did you mount the arms on the side at the flange edge or in bound? Install a rail at the top? below the flange? Did you think about installing an electric unit?

DE

DE
Here is how I mounted the awn arms. I didnt really consider an electric, because I wanted to keep both awnings the same.

Attachments

• IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 33