PDI, Demo and first night out!

jrzygrl64

Hello all!

Bill and I have an appt Saturday to have our PDI and demo for our new Landmark. I am hoping some of you more experienced Heartland owners can give us some advice regarding this process! I have already printed out a check list off a blog/website called "changing gears" that seems to be pretty comprehensive, but I was hoping for some helpful info some Heartland owners can share. We already have a reservation for a campground near the dealer (which is 2 hours from where we live) to spend the night and try out as much as we can, before driving it home.

I guess one specific question I have, considering we are in the northeast, how do we try out the a/c?

If anyone has any advice for us, I appreciate any help or thoughts!

Thanks!

Kelly

alex00

Congratulations on your new rig. To test the ac in the winter I would crank the heat in the trailer to the 80s. Then after a few minutes set the ac to the 60s and let it do its thing. You'll at least know if the compressor kicks in and the fan works. You may have to wait for summer to see how much it actually cools but cooling warm air from inside the trailer will still give you a test since the ac is not using outside air to cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I guess one specific question I have, considering we are in the northeast, how do we try out the a/c?

One thought would be to make them use the furnace and fireplace to heat the interior to 75 plus degrees so the thermostat will let you turn on the the a/c?

I am sure you will get a lot of advice from Landmark owners. That being said make them show you how everything works and make sure it works to your satisfaction. Ask questions. Have them explain every switch and cable outlets inside and outside the trailer. Make sure you know how to turn everything on. A lot of folks have trouble finding out how to turn on lights or other things that they discover after the PDI. Have them explain how your hot water heater works both on electricity and gas. Make sure they have filled it before they turn it on. They should have done this to test it and the water systems as part of the prep. Run all the water faucets and look in cabinets for leaks as well as out side and in the basement. Enjoy your new LM

danemayer

Make sure you understand the controls for winterization, including locating the cutoff valve to the icemaker water line, and drain valve if you're getting the residential refrigerator.

oldmannj

One suggestion that shows up quite often is to video the PDI so you can reference it later. Wish I had done it!! As for the a/c, heat the trailer with the furnace, then turn on the air. I'd check it with a thermometer, as the output temps should be considerably lower than the ambient temps. With all that said........
CONGRATULATIONS on your new home away from home!!!!!!!! Hope to See you in Cape May , 5/16-18 for the N.J. chapter rally. ED.
:angel:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Have fun Kelly! Good luck with your PDI and please let us know how things go. Can't wait to meet you guys but until then, you know where we are and how to contact us. Let us know if you need anything because we are here for you!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Congratulations!
I might suggest that you not leave the dealer with any issues that you don't want to have to deal with yourself down the road. The dealer will be most helpful before the check is in their hand. After that, their cooperation in correcting issues may be somewhat less than you hope for. If necessary (and it will be very hard to do!) walk away from the rig and make an appointment to take delivery at a later date.
Hopefully my advice won't be needed but there is the possibility that it will be your best offense if the rig isn't thoroughly prepped before you arrive.

Birchwood

On your first campout(term used loosely when sleeping in a Landmark) continually check for plumbing leaks as these could cause damage.There is a 98% chance your A/C units will work fine and you are only 2 hrs from dealer.Look closely(wear glasses if needed) for tears and cracks in walls,flooring,countertops and cabinets.Be prepared to ask for money if you have a flaw and don't want (ie small crack in countertop) it replaced .Enjoy your Landmark

Miller0758

Kelly, be careful running the AC in the colder (below 50) temperatures. It's less about getting the rig warm enough so the AC will come on and more about the damage you could do to the AC compressor trying to run it when the oil is so cold. You could cause damage that may not be covered under warranty. If you have heat pumps, then disregard ... they have lockouts to prevent damage.

jrzygrl64

Hello again, Bill and I brought our new home "home", or at least to the storage place where it will live until we sell the house! It is 6 miles up the road and we are so excited to be able to "outfit" it the way we want and get it ready to go!
We found only a few minor things during the demo and PDI and the overnight at the campground. Overall, we are very satisfied. I have to call/email the dealer today to see if they will just order/send us the things we need so we do not have to drive back. Bill said he will do stuff himself.
Thanks to those who advised not rushing. I did feel the guy who was doing our PDI and demo was rushing and the only reason we found the few things we did is b/c we had time to hang out in it while they were installing the tire pressure monitoring system on the truck. The initial demo guy was only scheduled with us for an hour. Didn't even show us the TV's. There was a guy working on a unit that was parked next to ours and he helped us more than the demo guy. I do plan to talk/email the dealer about this. I realize it was the first nice day and they were busy, but an HOUR? That isn't a lot of time for what needed/should be covered.
Thanks again for everything! We appreciate it and hope to meet up in person someday!

Kelly

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
So glad things worked out for you Kelly! It was rather nice weather for an overnight stay too. You can order parts directly from Heartland as long as you know what they are called. You will also get a discount rate with a membership number. This might not help you this time but keep it in mind for the future. Need to meet you soon!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Kelly, glad all went well with the PDI and demo. Now to make some plans to attend a rally!