Percentage off MSRP question

NYSUPstater

What is the norm for % off MSRP on BC's when purchasing new? Have seen what appears to be around 17% off BC's which differs from what I've read where 25-30% off MSRP is the norm on other mfrs.

Mburtsvt

It’s really a multi part question. If it’s been on the lot for a few month it has cost the dealer an additional 1-3% a month to “floor” it. If it’s a special order - there is a little more “Play” in the final selling price. Most RV’s sold can withstand a 30-35% off MSRP sell price. Keep in mind an additional “kick back” from the finance company in the form of up to 3 payments are common.

Gaffer

If you have no trade, you should have no problem getting 30% off the MSRP. On top of that you will have the delivery charge from Indiana. You can get a good idea of that cost by checking out the dealers posted "MSRP" in your area. Don't play games with a salesman who can't close a deal. Start with the sales manager and be upfront with your offer. Know exactly what you want and what you will pay when you walk through the door. I wouldn't order one or buy one that was built over the winter and driven over salted roads. If you see what you want on a lot, check the build date on the off door exterior sticker. They don't sit around that long after the build date before being transported. Order one in from another dealer if they won't play nice.

Mburtsvt

If you have no trade, you should have no problem getting 30% off the MSRP. On top of that you will have the delivery charge from Indiana. You can get a good idea of that cost by checking out the dealers posted "MSRP" in your area. Don't play games with a salesman who can't close a deal. Start with the sales manager and be upfront with your offer. Know exactly what you want and what you will pay when you walk through the door. I wouldn't order one or buy one that was built over the winter and driven over salted roads. If you see what you want on a lot, check the build date on the off door exterior sticker. They don't sit around that long after the build date before being transported. Order one in from another dealer if they won't play nice.

BE CAREFUL!

There is no legal requirement to post the MSRP's on RV’s. Unlike autos that are legally required to post MSRP’s on every NEW vehicle - RV DO NOT.

Dealers can post their own MSRP’s on the RV. Unfortunately it happens a lot.

brianlajoie

The only MSRP I would trust is the one published on this forum. When we were looking for our trailer, I found cases where the MSRP list price was inflated above HL published MSRP. I ended up not trusting those dealers to give me a fair price.

The percentage off has many factors: popularity of the model, time of year, time trailer spent on lot, new model year or end of model year... I believe the only way to know what the market price for the model is to compare all prices for that model using the web. That should be your starting point before you negotiate your offer. I found out that in Denver, there was little competition, so trailers in Salt Lake City were cheaper - go figure.

Mburtsvt

The only MSRP I would trust is the one published on this forum. When we were looking for our trailer, I found cases where the MSRP list price was inflated above HL published MSRP. I ended up not trusting those dealers to give me a fair price.

The percentage off has many factors: popularity of the model, time of year, time trailer spent on lot, new model year or end of model year... I believe the only way to know what the market price for the model is to compare all prices for that model using the web. That should be your starting point before you negotiate your offer. I found out that in Denver, there was little competition, so trailers in Salt Lake City were cheaper - go figure.

Now we come up with another problem…..MAP pricing. I know Heartland may not agree with me posting this type of information, but here I go.

MAP pricing stands for minimum advertise price. It’s an agreement between Heartland and it’s dealers to NOT go under a minimum price in all of their media activities, (web, print, radio,TV, etc,) It make it harder to compare pricing on RV’s on the web. In exchange for this agreement Heartland will support dealers with CO-OP dollars to pay for approved marketing activities.

It makes it harder for consumers to get correct pricing in this case on the web since Heartland pays to maintain the MAP pricing between dealers.

End of the day know what the Heartland MSRP’s are and negotiate percents off from that list.

I would not want to be a first time RV buyer for anything in the world.