Pex Connections leaking

gslabbert5119

I have been chasing a water leak in my cargo bay for weeks now, and I finally found a number of slow leaking pex fittings. If they were all 180 degree joins then I would buy sharkbite connectors, but there are 90 degree connectors, 180 degree connectors and the 90 degree fitting onto the waterpump that is leaking.

I have a pressure regulator fitted to my water system and it is set to 50 psi so excessive water pressure is most likely not the cause.

Do I cut off the existing pex fittings and replace them with brass and then clamp them or are there other better suggestions
TIA guys.

Gavin

sengli

I found on my rig, especially with temperature changes, a lot of the screw on fittings would start to leak due to the "gasket" in them shrinking over time(at the pump, under the sinks, on the shower fixture). I sometimes would replace the gasket only, and quite often just replace the entire fitting. So yes cut it off and replace the connection.

I bought the clamping tool, and line cutter years ago. And carry a box of fittings of every nature. I dont really re-use the plastic fittings, but will the brass ones.

jnbhobe

If you have the tool just try to tighten the clamps that are there now. If that don't work then change them. I have done that many times

gslabbert5119

If you have the tool just try to tighten the clamps that are there now. If that don't work then change them. I have done that many times

I do have the tool, and will give that a shot first.

There are a few pipes that I want to reroute so that I can enlarge my storage area (pipes all over the place are wasting precious space

Thanks for the suggestion.

oldelmer1

I have found that its next to impossible to cut the clamp off and then remove the plastic fitting.

So I just cut the entire fitting off and replace it with a new piece of PEX and a union if necessary.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have found that its next to impossible to cut the clamp off and then remove the plastic fitting.

So I just cut the entire fitting off and replace it with a new piece of PEX and a union if necessary.

Once a piece of PEX has been clamped onto a fitting, I don't think you can reclamp it without cutting off the end where it was clamped. When I did my repair, some time ago, I had to use some unions and short pieces of new tubing to reconnect the line. Haven't had a PEX leak since, but I keep a supply of the brass fittings and the tools on board, with a short length of tubing.

hut

I just did a bunch of work behind our bay walls. A couple of weeping connections I was able to tighten up. On the hose connections, I couldn’t get new crimps over the hose, so I used good hose clamps with no problems so far. I replaced some of the hoses with pex. All of the screw on connections needed new rubber (we’re in a 2012), but I replaced just the rubber. I have my regulator set @ 65# (mama likes good water pressure) and all seems well.

2PawsRiver

I just did a bunch of work behind our bay walls. A couple of weeping connections I was able to tighten up. On the hose connections, I couldn’t get new crimps over the hose, so I used good hose clamps with no problems so far. I replaced some of the hoses with pex. All of the screw on connections needed new rubber (we’re in a 2012), but I replaced just the rubber. I have my regulator set @ 65# (mama likes good water pressure) and all seems well.

Thank you, I thought it was just me, or I was missing something. I cut off my weeping crimped clamps and replaced them with hose clamps and no more leaks.

hut

Thank you, I thought it was just me, or I was missing something. I cut off my weeping crimped clamps and replaced them with hose clamps and no more leaks.

Just don’t do that on the pex connections. The hose is soft enough to clamp tight, but not the pex.

dave10a

There are many YOUTUBE examples on how to replace, repair and install PEX fittings. Some are quite cleaver.

porthole

Retired
Cut off offending fitting replace with brass.
I like others now carry an assortment of PEX fittings and clamps.

Just an FYI, I have found the 3/4" clamps work to make up new water hoses. I use these instead of hose clamps.

3/4" clamps of 5/8" hose
1" clamps on 3/4" hose.

schew

Not sure if you were implying that sharkbite connectors do not come in 90' angles. They do in fact fyi..

gslabbert5119

Not sure if you were implying that sharkbite connectors do not come in 90' angles. They do in fact fyi..

Sorry just getting to this as i am out of country.
Was not suggesting that there were no 90 degree sharkbite fittings, just that the little town on the ID / WY border did not have any, and i had to make do with what was available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donhutch1800

I cut all my crimped on clamps off and replaced with hose clamps.no more leaks.Plus you can tighten them up if needed.

jbeletti

I cut all my crimped on clamps off and replaced with hose clamps.no more leaks.Plus you can tighten them up if needed.

Don, are you using hose clamps on the red/blue PEX or just the white vinyl/PVC lines?

Reason I ask is that under any decent pressure, it's real hard to get hose clamps to clamp down hard enough (to prevent leaks) onto the barbed ends of PEX fittings.

porthole

Retired

Hose clamps for hose, PEX crimp-pinch-compression for PEX tubing.
If you could get the hose clamps tight enough they will deform in the center of the clamp where the worn screw is engaged and eventually pop loose.