Pismo Beach to Yosemite California

flips

Greetings!

We're going on our first big adventure with our NorthTrail 33BKSS.

Super excited but worried about the section going from Pismo area to Yosemite (Yosemite pines RV resort).

Has anyone pulled their trailer around those parts?

Any highway recommendations or tips. I'm not new to towing but very new to having 37' behind me😓

Thanks!

wdk450

Flips:
You need to face the fact that you are going to have to do some mountain climbing pulling your North Trail. I hope you have enough truck, and the cooling system is up to the job. The Groveland area is at about 3700 feet. Going from Groveland into the Yosemite Valley via the North (Hwy 120) entrance you cross a pass of 6100 feet elevation. You can't tow a long rig on Hwy 140 East of Mariposa due to length restrictions enacted a few years ago after a big landslide on the route, and Caltrans' fix of a "temporary" bridge across the Merced River to the other side of the canyon to bypass the landslide.
The climb up Hwy 120 from Hwy 49 is a steep, curvy, route, but you don't see too many breakdowns. Tour buses and semis all take this route. I tried the only alternate route I could find in late April, and it was 45 minutes of 25 mph truck struggling to make it. I stayed 3 weeks at the Thousand Trails Preserve; nearer the North entrance, than Groveland. I went back down to the valley on Hwy 120.

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
As Bill stated, the Priest Grade (120 just west of 49) is a steep climb. After the cuesta grade coming out of San Luis Obispo, that should be the only real test the rest of the way to Groveland.

It's a nice drive (without the RV) into the valley from the RV park. As an alternative to driving into the valley, there was a bus service from Groveland that we used a few years ago and it was very reasonable. I'm sure the people at the RV park will have information if it's still operating.

Enjoy your trip!

wdk450

As Bill stated, the Priest Grade (120 just west of 49) is a steep climb. After the cuesta grade coming out of San Luis Obispo, that should be the only real test the rest of the way to Groveland.

It's a nice drive (without the RV) into the valley from the RV park. As an alternative to driving into the valley, there was a bus service from Groveland that we used a few years ago and it was very reasonable. I'm sure the people at the RV park will have information if it's still operating.

Enjoy your trip!

BTW - DO NOT IN ANY CASE TAKE THE "OLD" PRIEST GRADE BYPASS. FOR SOME REASON MOST GPS'S AND MAPPING PROGRAMS ROUTE YOU THIS WAY. IT IS PROBABLY THE STEEPEST 2 MILES OF ROAD IN CALIFORNIA. There are yellow signs at the bottom with prohibitions for large vehicles. It cuts about 10 miles of the new Highway 120 Priest grade down to about 2 miles. I came down this (mistakenly) in a rented mini-van. I had a very hard time trying to get it to downshift, it was a nail biting descent, and I had all 4 brake assemblies smoking at the bottom.

flips

Thanks WDK and GrampaFish! We called the RV park as you suggested and they gave us the best route to take. You guys are dead on regarding old priest and the 49. We were told to stay out of those sections.

flips

We made it!

The incline was a piece of cake but the twisty windy road was a bit hairy.

Next challenge is going back down...I'm kinda scared! Lol

imagejpeg

8amps

Glad this thread was here. GPS did route us through Old Priest Grade, but thanks to this thread we knew not to take it. We are at Thousand Trails Yosemite Lakes (technically in Groveland but actually 19 miles from there) and made it up the grade fine, despite the windy road. Phil kept asking if I was sure we weren't on the "bad" road - oh no, I could look over and see it on the other side of the canyon going STRAIGHT UP. The "New" Priest was bad enough! Not looking forward to going down though with the rig. But not sure we have any other option, Hwy 120 is closed for the moment, and by the time we're ready to leave, may be closed for the season. We are going into Sonora Thursday just with the truck to have the oil changed and the brakes checked (GMC Duramax). They were squeaking while towing, but aren't squeaking with the trailer. Not taking any chances. It is beautiful here, the leaves are changing and the Yellowstone Falls are flowing.

Mrsfish

Glad this thread was here. GPS did route us through Old Priest Grade, but thanks to this thread we knew not to take it. We are at Thousand Trails Yosemite Lakes (technically in Groveland but actually 19 miles from there) and made it up the grade fine, despite the windy road. Phil kept asking if I was sure we weren't on the "bad" road - oh no, I could look over and see it on the other side of the canyon going STRAIGHT UP. The "New" Priest was bad enough! Not looking forward to going down though with the rig. But not sure we have any other option, Hwy 120 is closed for the moment, and by the time we're ready to leave, may be closed for the season. We are going into Sonora Thursday just with the truck to have the oil changed and the brakes checked (GMC Duramax). They were squeaking while towing, but aren't squeaking with the trailer. Not taking any chances. It is beautiful here, the leaves are changing and the Yellowstone Falls are flowing.

glad to hear you guys have having a good time. Safe travels and we hope to see you soon.

flips

Awesome. Glad you made it up safely. It's gorgeous up there. Next time however we plan on staying closer to Sonora and just drive up towards Yosemite without the trailer to do some site seeing.

Take your time going down. I couldn't believe how fast some towed down that grade. It was 30-35mph for me using 1st and 2nd gear on my van. Hardly used my brakes.

You should visit the caverns when you're in Sonora.

Enjoy!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I is beautiful up there this time of year. Rhonda and I were married in that Yosemite church Oct 18th 17 years ago. We Love it up there. Glad you made it safe.

wdk450

Awesome. Glad you made it up safely. It's gorgeous up there. Next time however we plan on staying closer to Sonora and just drive up towards Yosemite without the trailer to do some site seeing.

Enjoy!

I am a Thousand Trails member and stayed at Yosemite Lakes in April. Yosemite Lakes (like most other Thousand Trails) has sites open to non-members and is only about 6 miles from the Yosemite North entrance. It IS about 25 miles from there (at a 35 mph National Parks speed limit) to the Yosemite valley floor. I went over to the valley 2 times in my 3 week stay, and also made a visit to nearby Hetch Hetchy valley and Dam which is a smaller version of the Yosemite valley. The Thousand Trails store also has the last gas/diesel station before entering Yosemite on Hwy 120.

8amps

We made it down the grade today. All in one piece. Fortunately, we met with very little traffic behind us. Just for fun the other day, with the truck only, we went UP Old Priest Grade. All I can say is WOW. Really really glad we weren't going down. Had a great time in Yosemite Lakes but my, it was getting chilly. At least a week below freezing at night. Days were sunny and crisp but pleasant. On the plus side, Yosemite dusted in snow was really beautiful.