Plastic wire support belt

Tom of Ypsi

I put this problem on the Minor Service Request Form for the Heartland Rally. Hopefully something can be done.

busted2341

...Well mine lasted one outing and 4 slid opening / closings...real good product design...I thought I read on here somewhere about a hinge..mine is BH 3055 so I guess I will try the same thing and see what happens..

davebennington

Have we been just lucky or is the belt breaking problem only with the models other than the Golden Gate? I have checked ours and it appears to be just fine. Maybe the problem is there is too much weight on it (gas line, electric line, etc.). Has the factory come up with and solutations?

dave:)

Scott

Flex Guard Repairs

There is a field repair for the broken "flex guards" that Lippert has issued. It is available on their web site:

Scott,

Feel free to post any information about the fix on your forum, and/or direct them to our website at: http://www.lci1.com/Service_Documents/Service_Documents/Default.aspx where we will post this lip sheet on the proper upgrade.
They will need to contact us to have the required parts sent to them.

If you have any other questions or concerns here, let us know!!

Andy
Lippert Components, Inc.

Check this out and get with Lippert to have yours repaired/replaced.

ST

Admin: Updated link to Lip Sheets - 12-Mar-2007

Last edited by a moderator:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Where?

Scott,
I tried that website and could not find anything related to the "flex guard"

Help!

jbeletti

Hi folks,

Please be paitient on the LIP sheet. I asked Scott to post the latest about the fix which he did. Looks like we are just a little bit ahead of Lippert on this. I am confident they will get the LIP sheet posted on their site very soon at the URL that Scott posted above.

I have also asked Lippert to email me the PDF and I will post it here in this thread as soon as I get it.

Thanks,

jim

slaytop

Hi svd,
In my opinion, that is not a fix. Actually it is a good illustration why it breaks on the ends. Was it ever tested for durability? Sorry, I know you can't answer that question and you can probably sense my impatience with this matter.

I would like to see proof that the FlexGuard will hold up for a long period of time attached in that manner and flexed to the degrees that our slideouts require. The posts in this thread are illustrating that both the method of fastening and the material itself are not designed well for this task.

jbeletti

As svd mentioned above, Lippert just got the LIP Sheet for this fix posted on their website.

I am also attaching it to this post.

Jim

Hmm - for some reason I am not able to uploiad this attachment. Can someone else please try to download it from Lippert and attach it to their post (Manage Attachments)?

Last edited:

busted2341

..So is heartland providing the z part and screws for attachment or do we have it made????..Just a thought??

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Flex Guard

While I have not had an issue with this on my trailer (yet?) I do think that there are other solutions that could be considered. With the Rally just around the corner I think this would be the perfect opportunity for Lippert, Heartland and all of us customers/owners to brainstorm our ideas (beyond those already on the forum). As simple as this FLex Guard function is, there are alot of items to be considered. Safety being #1, function,simplicity and cost to implement and manufacture. This may be an item better handled outside of the factory tour as it could turn into a lengthy discussion in itself.

Anyway, just my 2-cents

jbeletti

busted2341 - Lippert will be supplying the parts for LIP 028. Who/How to contact them for the kit - I don't know just yet. Look for a post very soon with details.

mrcomer - Lippert will be one of our vendor presenters at the rally. They will be presenting at 8 am on Friday for an hour. While we cannot dominate the hour on 1 item, it is the venue to discuss your ideas with them. Note too that they will surely speak to this matter as part of their planned presentation and they will be providing these repairs to any coaches in need at the rally.

svd

Well, I went ahead and installed the hinges early on. I didn't want to have a failure during a trip. The fix seems to retain the angle of the support belt to the frame rail, and push it tighter to the slideout when it is closed, so I don't understand how it improves the problem..........

busted2341

..Let me ask now. I have had the dealer order another stap for me. I am going to take this new strap and put a hinge on it then attach it. Has anyone done that yet to where it works or does it put a bigger load on the strap causing it to fail in the middle or other end...Just a thought??

BluegrassMan

Hi Guy's:
While ya'll are with Lippert for that hour, Jim could you ask them about the "what seems to be a inherant problem" with Grand Canyons. I know of at least 4 GC's that the shaft which connects the two rollers on the slideout (street side, kitchen/computer desk) rubs the tire(s)!!!

Mine is in the shop as I write this post. There is another at the dealer with the same problem. I beleive that "Fireflipper" has had his fixed as well. To my knowlege, it's just Grand Canyons. EVERYONE THAT HAS ONE CHECK IT UNDER THE LEFT REAR. The spring hangers may also be welded crooked (as mine are).
Scott and Randy have been great about getting this taken care of. Lippert has been a little slow, I feel. I'm still waiting after 2+ weeks. Just thought I'd give ya'll a heads up. You may want to discuss this at the rally.

slaytop

svd,
The rigid attachment point forces a small area just beyond the post to flex as much as 81 degrees from closed to open positions. Just as a wire will break if flexed next to a rigid point, the Flexguard also breaks in time. The center of the belt also bends quite severely in the closed position and then has to straighten out when the slideout extends. I commend Lippert for the idea of using the Flexguard but the problems are unacceptable.

nscaler2

Wonder how others do it?

I don't mean to kick a dead horse here, however, I wonder how other rv manufacturers address the design problem of having electrical wires travel with the slideout. I can't recall seeing on rv.net any complaints of other brands of products having the type of problems that we are having with our Heartland products. If other manufactures have a design that allows this work, I wonder why Heartland and Lippert seem to have the problems getting it right:confused:

Tom of Ypsi

Can any of the rally attendees tell me if the issue with the wire support belt problems were addressed and what was the fix if any? That was on my short list for repairs but as you know I did not make it to the rally.