Plastic wire support belt

slaytop

Hi Tom,
Lippert looked at all of the FlexGuard installations at the rally and replaced several of them. They stated that Heartland was the only company that was having problems with the installations. They use the same support straps in other brands.

Rather than put in a hinge, they added a mounting bracket that was bent out (45 degrees?) to help when the strap is extended to its full length.

Since I placed a hinge on mine, they were satisfied with the solution and didn't suggest any change. I have one strap that is still ok without a hinge and they didn't touch that one either.

I hope someone else who had a repair made by them can add to my reply.

L'l John

[/QUOTE]They stated that Heartland was the only company that was having problems with the installations. They use the same support straps in other brands.
I can tell you that I saw the same problem with this kind of support strap on another brand of 5th wheel last winter when I was in Harlingen, TX.
While shopping around for a 5th wheel I found a new 04 model Mobile Suites on a RV lot that had the strap broken and hanging down. I asked the salesman about that and he said they had not noticed it, but would fix it. Later, I was back by there and it was in the shop having a new support strap installed. Not modifications, just a new one.
Can't say for sure that it was made by Lippert.

Racerguy

Glad there was success in replacement from the Rally attendees, but what is Lippert and Heartland doing about replacement of ones who did not attend? (Scott?) Jim can you pose this question to the factory?

Tom of Ypsi

Thanks guys for the info. As a temporary fix I just took my support belt, door side, and rescrewed it back up to where it was. So far it has worked with no problems. The other side is ok, do not know why but do problems.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
support belts

Just go home from our 2nd trip out. Other than a nail in one tire that will have to be replaced with only 1000 miles on it. The nail is on the outside of the tread so bye bye to the tire. Also my support belt on the livingroom slide broke. It looks like it was just too short and actully ripped at the mounting screws. Measured the belt..52 inches distance to be covered 51 Inches. Not quit enough slack to do the job, Another one for the list.
Rand

ChopperBill

Going to report , after checking out my sagging fresh water tank, that my VERY late built BH has the old style plastic strap that seems to have problems. Looks like I am looking forward to some more "owner fix it yourself and fix it right" repair work.

slaytop

Well Folks, Guess what!
The Lippert crew inspected the Flex Guard straps on my coach during the rally and stated that they were OK and didn't need any adjustments.

Today I discovered that the second strap broke off at the screw end. So much for confidence and reliability. It's back to the hardware for another hinge.

HappyKayakers

You might also want to check the FlexGuard on your kitchen slides. I just returned from a short trip and found that my frig wasn't working. After much troubleshooting and calling a local RV repair tech, he discovered that there was no 12 volt going to the slide at all. The problem was caused by the wires under the kitchen slide rubbing against the tire and breaking. (Forrest, this should look familiar to you).

Attachments

• P1060028.jpg
    P1060028.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 79

fhollan

Wire Support

Slaytop: Thanks to you and the forum I solved my problem with the brass hinge also. It seemed the support was stretched to the hilt and broke at the frame. You could tell by the rod on the dinnette slideout since it was bent slightly. The 3 1/2" hinge had the holes on the frame lined up exactly. The broken ends were cut off, drilled the holes, fastened them to the hinge, and now it has some slack and it works fine.