plexi-glass on screen door

Tweitekamp

has anybody ever put plexiglass or something on the screen door? We hate having our exterior door closed all the time if it is a bit chilly. It lets so much more sunlight in. I was just wondering if anybody has customized a interior door to make it clear but cover the screens. Temporary of course! Summer we want it open, but we do a fair amount of spring and fall trips.

Just omething to think about over the winter!

Todd

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
To answer your question yes, we have put lexon on our last 3 coaches without any problems. Got it from Home Depot or Lowes, used a craftman knife to finish cutting it. Flexed it to fix in the screen grooves and used small screws to attach at the bottom. You will love having the door open.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Also a good idea (even for just the bottom half) if you have pets or small children, to protect the screen from damage.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We use Velcro too...makes it easier to remove the Lexan when I want air through the screens...

ILH

I've seen the plexi put in the channels of the door - but I'm not clear where you put the Velcro? Do you put it on the metal frame?

jnbhobe

I've seen the plexi put in the channels of the door - but I'm not clear where you put the Velcro? Do you put it on the metal frame?

I just cut the Lexan a little big an put about 6 little strips of Velcro around the edge.

Is there any way anyone could post any pictures of what the plexiglass actually looks like installed. It sounds like a great idea, just would like to see it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

We installed the tinted Lexan last summer and its good.We used metal clips with small screws to install the Lexan.The screen is still there and the modification can be reversed at any time.Try it and if you want to go back its easy!Its not a permanent modification and its use may depend on your location.Personally I would like a screen door where you can raise the window and have a screen.

VKTalley

Is there any way anyone could post any pictures of what the plexiglass actually looks like installed. It sounds like a great idea, just would like to see it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI Allen, check our blog and I'm sure there are pictures of our door with the plexiglass installed. Click here for the link. They are night shots of the door but you can see what we did.

Sajo

We used small screws on our first coach and used plexiglass. Problem came about when a strong wind slammed the door and with no play with the screws.....cracks! This time I went to Lowes and purchased narrow weather striping and used a flathead screwdriver to insert (and hide) the striping inside the framing. Plexiglass is tight, no loose fit but can expand when needed. Next time I will spend a little more and get the tinted..
Sajo

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Got the tinted at Home Depot, cut it to size and put it in the empty channels. I first put a small strip of Velcro on the metal of the door. The plexiglass could be removed without too much trouble be we just leave it in place year round.