plugged fuel filter

Uncle Rog

Sounds like a real drama ther buckeye, cold is not an issue here, it has been 80+ for the last 10 days. I do have a fuel question though. My truck has a 48gal tank. I always keep it topped off, rarely getting below 50%. Does anybody know if the diesel mixes up in the tanl enough? It might sound dumb but could the "old" fuel go bad? The lumber trucks go through a full tank pretty regularly so no problem for them..............

SmokeyBare

Rog,

I've read the fuel pump sends far more to the injector manifold than is ever being used. This fuel returns to the fuel tank. The circulating fuel helps keep the fuel always mixed... it also helps to cool the fuel pump.

ct0218

I know on my Duramax that there is a fuel cooler mounted on the front end of the fuel tank, looks a little like a small rediator, to cool down the returning fuel.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Mine gelled also.

I have an 08 Silverado Duramax/Allison that currently has 11,000 plus miles on it. I have my Duramax on a 5000 mile service/tire rotation schedule with changing the fuel filter every 10,000 miles. Two weeks ago I was returning from Central Illinois, where I had purchased fuel and the temps were in the single digit range, and as I exited I-57 to head cross country to my hometown the motor slowed way down, the engine light came on and a message was broadcasted that the motor was operating under reduced power. I could not get her to go over fifty miles an hour and it took some time to get to that speed. I limped on home (slowly) and took it to my mechanic. The fuel filter had gelled and $158.00 dollars later I was good to go. My mechanic suggested when filling up in the winter months not to trust the stations to put in anti-gel additives and keep some Diesal 9-1-1 on hand. It is an anit-gel product that takes 16 ounces per 26 gallons of fuel. I keep it on hand now.

nhunter

It's true diesels always circulate back to the tank any unused fuel. It is not uncommon to see fuel temps of 140deg F. Meltdown is another good emergency de-gellant. Does the GM have a fuel bowl heater?

ct0218

No, just the recirculation of the warmed fuel as far as I know. I went thru 4 filters in a week a few years ago due to plugging, learned my lesson. I use anti-gel from Nov until April.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A question from a diesel newbie: If the fuel you buy contains the anti-gel agent and you add some yourself, will it cause any problems?

ct0218

If you buy fuel that doesn't contain any, or enough, anti-gel--that causes problems. Never heard of anyone having a problem because of too much, but a lot have had the opposite problem.

jpjulian

Had my '08 SuperDuty in for an oil change this past Friday and for a minor recall issue. Truck has just over 20,000 miles on it. Dealer called me and said it was due for fuel filters. Said the cost would be $340.00! Sounded way out of line cost wise and not so respectfully declined. Any other SuperDuty owners out there that can advise what it should cost to replace the filters? Been using cetane boost since the cold hit. Never had a gelling issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
jpjulian, I don't own a Ford, but I bought a fuel filter for my GMC and it was under $30. Being careful not to make a mess while changing, it took me about 20 minutes. $340 for a filter change, comeon jp the guy's gotta make a living.:p
Peace
Dave

jpjulian

The $340.00 was in addition to the oil change. $340 seems rather exorbitant. The oil change was +- $75.00 and I am good with that.