Oops - I put DEF in fuel tank!

scottyb

I have a friend going through the same thing right now with his Dodge. He had to cancel joining us at the San Angelo race this weekend. He also filed a claim and will let the insurance company take it up with the gas station.

It's not just diesels. Wife and I fuelled up her brand new 1985 Bronco II one night after a big thunderstorm. It coughed and died about 200 yards from the gas station. Had to be towed. Gas station paid for everything. I think they had multiple complaints. There will probably be multiple complaints in your situation as well. That's how the insurance company will nail them.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm surprised your fuel filter did not stop the water. Does not have a water separator in it? I will say 2 gallons of water is....a lot of water.

porthole

Retired
I'm surprised your fuel filter did not stop the water. Does not have a water separator in it? I will say 2 gallons of water is....a lot of water.

The "nice" thing about the water separator in the Ford's is that although it does separate water from the fuel, it also allows water to pass through the filter, right into the high pressure pump.
Poor design and in this day and age there no reason for it.

When fuel injection first started appearing in Chrysler products, the tanks were equipped with a nylon sock on the tank pickup tubes that was so fine water molecules could not pass, but gasoline could. So if you got water in the tank, all that happened was the vehicle would shut off, no damage. Only expense was cleaning out the tank.

...you have to pay attention when fueling these trucks, don't let your attention be drawn away from the job at hand,

That's my thinking too. The few times I've come close to putting gas in my diesel truck, it's because some yahoo on the other side of the pump starts talking to me, causing said "distraction"