Plumbing Penetrations - To Seal or Not To Seal?

Nuclearcowboy

I am thinking about foam sealing that big hole cut in the flooring under my BH sink - seems to me that this could provide an entry point for ants, etc. Does anyone see an issue with doing that?

rxbristol

I believe in not sealing the holes from the inside to the belly area so heat can transfer down there in cold weather. For example, today it's 10 degrees and I still have water flowing. I believe it's much better to seal all the holes, cracks, and seams in the frame to prevent insect and vermin penetration and heat loss.

Nuclearcowboy

I believe in not sealing the holes from the inside to the belly area so heat can transfer down there in cold weather. For example, today it's 10 degrees and I still have water flowing. I believe it's much better to seal all the holes, cracks, and seams in the frame to prevent insect and vermin penetration and heat loss.

Thanks - I thought about that, but wonder just how much heat really makes its way through that penetration, especially with the cabinet doors closed all the time.

danemayer

Thanks - I thought about that, but wonder just how much heat really makes its way through that penetration, especially with the cabinet doors closed all the time.
There are many factors involved with keeping the water running in sub-freezing weather. But in some conditions if you keep the under-sink cabinet doors open overnight, you'll wake up with running water in the kitchen instead of having frozen water lines.

If you don't plan on camping in that type of weather, I wouldn't worry about it.