Pocket doors.

ChopperBill

I didnt figure out why they started using regular doors on the bathroom. Looked like they would be a PITA in the small living place. Think I figured out why. I notice when the Fantastic fans where on I could smell a slight odor coming around the bath room. Then I felt air coming out of the pocket door inclosure. It had a slight smell coming in it. On inspection with a flash light I could see through the slot that the door hides in that wall is not finished behind there and air is coming from the basement. Trying to come up with ideas to seal it off in back there or installing another style door and just closing off the slot. Any ideas on an according style door or some other style door that could be fitted and left open when you want too? Or how to seal it off back in the pocket?

jimtoo

Hi Bill,

How about removing the sliding door and pushing one of the foam pipe insulation things all the way to the back? Or one of the swim noodles things.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Jimtoo. You might also try some low expanding spray foam alone or with some sort of filler such as what Jim mentioned.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

Good ideas! I thought about pushing some foam into the space, But foam pipe or noodles sound cheap and easy. If I can recall the wall isn't paneled back there so I don't know if those would be thick enough. Thats the trouble with having to put your stuff in storage, only allowed 48 hours to have it at the house to work on it.

Theresau

Interesting - we noticed the same thing (odor) but never put two and two together. Joe is going to look into it. (I believe our bedroom and bath are the same...)

Theresa

jimtoo

Good ideas! I thought about pushing some foam into the space, But foam pipe or noodles sound cheap and easy. If I can recall the wall isn't paneled back there so I don't know if those would be thick enough. Thats the trouble with having to put your stuff in storage, only allowed 48 hours to have it at the house to work on it.

I'm pretty sure the pipe insulators can be bought in different sizes. Just need to have it a little larger.. might just let the door push it back...as long as you could make sure it seals top and bottom.. not sure I would want to spray any of the expanding foam back there... you may need to get back there at some time or have access to it.

Jim M

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Chopper,
Regarding the odors you are smelling.
Even if the door is allowing air from the basement, the tank should be a sealed unit all the way down to the valve and up to the vent on the roof. If that is done properly you should not be smelling anything.

I went to install a Camco cyclone rotating vent cap on one of my gray tanks because I was getting an odor in the bdrm. What I found when I pulled the vent pipe flange on the roof is that it wasn't sealed around the pipe where it drops down into the coach. It wasn't air tight. Tank odors would go up and out the mushroom cap and sort of lay on the roof. When the fan was on it was just pulling them back down around the vent pipe and into the rig. I took some sealant and filled in the gap around the pipe. (Expansion foam would work also.) Then I installed the cyclone. I now have zero odors with the combination of those two changes.

Also try opening another vent, or window for a fresh air source if you are running a exhaust fan. (weather permitting)That by itself should help also. Trace

ChopperBill

Interesting - we noticed the same thing (odor) but never put two and two together. Joe is going to look into it. (I believe our bedroom and bath are the same...)

Theresa
If your kitchen cabinet attaches to an inside wall you might also remove some drawers or look to see if some wiring or plumbing come through. I could feel air coming through ours. I pulled a row of drawers and there was about a 2X3 foot hole in the wall for wiring and plumbing. I got some plastic sheeting and duct taped it to cover the hole as best I could to keep air out. Helped in the kitchen.
Tandt: The smell isnt really like sewer it is more like a slight musty basement odor. I did notice the more windows you open when the fan is on the less any air comes through the pocket.

Geonkat

My coach has a louvered vent in the kitchen wall which is a return air passage to the furnace which is in the basement. I think all Bighorns have this vent somewhere. I know there are lots of other areas which are not closed off to the basement, like my drawers under the steps. I think the fantastic fan will pull some air from the basement unless adequate window / door ventilation is provided.

ChopperBill

Was thinking you cant stop it all from coming in but thought that I might put one or two of those room fragrance things in the basement.