Votes: 35 9.9%

Votes: 103 29.3%
  • 5 - highest level

Votes: 185 52.6%

• Total voters

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Re: I'll stand with Lefty on this.

I must be lost here. Where is the post by maddycamper and what web site are you talking about?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Me too Larry, maybe JB POOOOFED it. I just read the whole thread..... all 9 pages....no Maddycamper??

2010augusta

Must have been poofed.
Capture.JPG

Larryheadhunter

Through my diligence I found the website which will remain nameless, where ole maddycamper basically says that she bought her Sundance in November and it sat parked till August the next year and when she went to use the rig, it had numerous problems. This of course is a dealer issue, and she stupidly claims the dealer told her to wait till next spring when she would be using it next, and he will take care of the problems, and contact Heartland warranty which by this time it was of course out of warranty. Now who would listen to such nonsense. Wouldn't you have that rig parked at the dealer the next day, and leave it there till all the issues were addressed?
DUH!!!!!!!!! I think I have some swampland in China I could sell her. LOL

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Larry, the post was made the day she signed up 7/13/10 and apparently went unanswered for quite awhile although there were several people who knew about it.

Hudson

Along the same lines as "your actions are screaming so loud I cannot hear what you are saying," I *did* buy another Heartland. I went from a Big Country I had for two years to a Cyclone I got for Father's Day (lucky me). When I went looking for a toy hauler, I actually looked at Heartland first, realized they had no floorplan that met my needs and looked at everybody else (even K-Z's Inferno). In the end I found the 3950 did not meet all my requirements but *nothing* else on the market had the quality/price ratio that Heartland did. I bought the Cyclone because it was the best built toy hauler on the market (no, I'm not counting hyper expensive & custom built rigs).

Do I have the right to b*tch about Heartland products? Well let's see, my Big Country had a screw come up through the floor requiring a completely new floor, a leak in the shower, a cargo door that would not close properly, two sagging springs, and some other "minor" things. (Oh gosh yes something else huge: three blown tires including both tires on the same side blew out at the same time ... scary!) My Cyclone had a problem with water flow to the rear stool, a fantastic fan that wouldn't come on, a sticker/graphics/decal on the outside that needed replacement, a slide room that pushed out too far such that the fascia bent, a central vac that wouldn't turn on completely correctly (wiring problem), light peeking through my ramp door, and some restraining straps that were inconveniently placed. So I guess I definitely qualify for the right to dump on Heartland.

Except for two things:

1. Every one of those problems happens just as frequently to other brands (even ones that cost much more). Those China Bombs tires are put on almost every trailer made. Sh*t happens to every manufacturer if you read RV.NET. So my Heartlands were not any worse than anyone else.
  2. Heartland and their dealer network fixed every single problem correctly (replacing instead of repairing), quickly (never more than a week's delay and usually less than a few hours of my time), and conveniently (to me, as in a quick highway stop along my way to somewhere else). Even the major problems. And I never saw my original selling dealer for the Big Country ... that one was fixed by several different, excellent dealerships.
Well geez, if their problems are about the same as the other guy, but they fix them that readily, then I want their unit behind my truck. That I saved money because my Cyclone is was much less expensive than the other guy's is a bonus. That there are more "standard" features on Heartland's (at least my Big Country and Cyclone) helps me enjoy using the rig more. That the sheer build quality of the frame, roof, etc is waaaay better than the other guy is well, priceless. Frankly I don't even understand how they can build that quality with those features at that price.

Would I buy another Heartland? Too late, already did buy another Heartland. Would I go for the hat trick if/when that time comes? If Heartland keeps their construction quality, feature lists, and price point in line with the way they are now ... and if somebody doesn't come along that does it even better, then "yes, I would buy (yet) another Heartland." [to Heartland management: those are some big, important "ifs" -- don't rest on your laurels or cheese up your product or you'll risk your market share.]

Now I have had bad information from both dealers I bought from. The Big Country dealer's delivery person warned me strenuously that the basement is not actually heated (wrong, I checked out the heater vent myself). The Cyclone dealer had multiple delivery people warn me extensively and repeatedly never to be on shore power and the genset at the same time because there's no transfer switch. (Well, I have not taken it apart to find out for sure and won't test it out until I've traced the wires, but I'm pretty sure that is wrong advice). So apparently, the dealerships' delivery people could use better training. Though I know of at least two dealers who were kicked out of the Heartland program, apparently due to poor customer service ... and I even got great service at one of them.

You know, it's funny about running the extra coax (it's only $4 more) and putting on the strong arms (that's another $100 and it's wasted if you get Level Up), digital thermostats, yada yada yada. A whole bunch of little things really adds to the price and each only satisfies a fraction of the market. It would be great if everything we ever wanted was a factory option ... except for one thing: how many people order their rigs versus how many buy off the lot whatever the dealer chose to order? Yeah, you either have to order and wait (getting a much poorer discount to boot) or you wind up with dealer's choice (which like cars will be the "loaded" units and the "bare" units). I wish for some of those features too, but as long as I'm wishing I'd rather wish for a truck that drives like a BMW, rides like a Mercedes, sips diesel like a Rabbit, and tows like a Mack Vision ... oh, and a trailer that's two giant slides all the way down both sides and ... well, you get the picture. Choose from what's available in your price range.

If it matters, I don't do much more on my rig than change light bulbs and grease the sh*t out of anything with a zerk. I know how, I just don't feel like doing it.

I do wish Heartland would put in huge giant letters on the PDI sheet to not go over 65mph due to the tires. I was on my third RV (my first Heartland) for almost a year before I noticed it in the fine print of the tire "instructions" (honestly, who would ever read instructions for tires anyway?) :eek:

On the other hand, I have seen more than one person here and on other boards post about long delays at the factory's end ... I am willing to believe every one of those stories but I have to wonder if there are two guys at Heartland who handle this with one guy being a jackwipe and the other one doing a great job.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader

I have a 09 3055RL. I have had some minor problems and fixed a lot of QC issues but overall my wife and I love the product. Would I buy another heartland. yes I would.

Rick & Joanne

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The only thing I would add to Hudson's magnificent post is in all my research prior to buying a Big Horn I didn't have a single dealer tell me "This thing is perfect and you will never have to do anything to it" Fact is every one of them told me to plan on working on it. Well done Hudson and thanks, Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Got to agree with Dave, good write up Hudson.
You have had some problems and you have had them repaired.

I guess I missed all the posts where you ranted about all the problems you had. I also guess I missed all the posts about your trailer sitting at a dealer for months on end while you took out all your frustrations here. I also missed the posts where you were bashing the product, the people who worked on your trailer, the guy who delivered your trailer, the dealership and the building your trailer was made in.

Oh wait, that's right. You never did any of these things and you still got your issues resolved to your satisfaction.
Hmmm, maybe your onto to something.....

Larryheadhunter

I think you are onto something, Ollie! LOL.

I think the last few posters are spot on with their assessments. It is unfortunate that some of us are not too mechanically inclined, but when we bought our rig, it was drilled into Debbi and me that these rigs are "rolling earthquakes", all the boat adages, etc. and will try our patience. But, they added, stick with it, son, it is worth the effort. That is what Manufacturer's warranties and extended, ah key word extended warranties are all about. And you get to see North America in its natural beauty. No hotel rooms with all those boogers, and bugs, and other peoples germs, well, I guess you know what I mean. LOL. No waiting for planes or trains that are late, or other people's problems, nope we get some that we get to call our own. And so what? It's worth it. That's why I got a full set of tools, that I have no clue of their functions. So when someone offers to fix something broken on my rig, but sorry, they didn't bring their tools, I am ready for them. Yea! And so that is the picture. Please show me an RV that doesn't have its own issues, I am holding my breath, which I will be doing till I am blue in the face. So, we love our Heartlands, and we deal with it. And that's the way it is..............so get over it.