Poo Pumps

Lou_and_Bette

Poo Pumps - problem solved

OK, dirty subject but I would like some users to chime in on the different pumping systems for black water removal. Just tried to dump for the first time since we recently returned to our wintering site. Found out that the new BH sewer outlet is lower than old RW and having some flow problems into the septic tank's inlet which is very near level, or slightly higher, than the RV's outlet. Therefore, I am looking into buying one of the RV waste pump systems. There seems to be two different types...one type electrically powered and one type water powered. So here are my questions:

1. If I choose "better living with electricity" is the better choice the 'Flow-jet' or the 'Sani-con'?

2. I know the 'Sewer Solution' is cheaper and doesn't need electricity but does it really macerate those big "sewer trouts"? Also, this system seems to empty the tank much slower than the electric systems so is there any problems with a low water flow not really washing out all the solid waste from the tank? Will this system "pump" up hill as well as the electric models?

Thank you for taking any time to help me resolve my issue and make a better informed decision, heaven knows I don't want a repeat of my Goshen adventure no matter how funny those stories are around the campfire.:mad:

Lou

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Lou, I have the Flowjet and it WORKS even uphill a long ways, call me if you want more info. Jon

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I bought the water-powered Sewer Solution after our first Goshen rally. The sewers in our area were uphill and the pipes 12" high (until mine met a borrowed hacksaw). Dumping a 30' stinky slinky by milking and massaging it was no fun. At our second rally on the same site, the Sewer Solution worked
like a charm, even with the not so high water pressure. If you use sufficient water in your tank, the solids should be pretty broken up to begin with when it's time to dump.

Since we're on a FH seasonal site the majority of our usage of the rig and don't need to assist the flow to the sewer, spending for the electric unit was not a necessity. And there are as many negative reviews of them as positive ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

I bought a basic 12v Jabsco macerator pump off the internet about 10-12 years ago and adapted it with various fittings to connect to a short 3" sewer hose and to a contractor grade 100' 3/4" water hose. I use it to drain tanks more than half the year. It has worked great all this time and everything cost less than $150 (back then). It pushes through 200' of hose to my septic tank all summer. Be sure to hook it electrically with 10ga wire or larger, especially if the wire is longer than 15'.

happykraut

Lou I also have the Flowjet and like it very much. I have read that it will pump uphill for quite a distance, but unlike Jon, I have not tried that.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Interesting topic, since I had my MorRyde IS/Disc Brakes installed I have lost some clearance between my 3" connection and the ground. Thus, I now have the occasional uphill dilemma to drain tanks. Did not know pumps/macerators could help correct this issue. What models are you guys looking at and what model do you have Jon?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to hijack this thread, but Murry, I thought that adding the IS increased the clearance.

So here's my story.
We were in Falcon Lake State Park, Texas and ran into the sewer pipe being on the wrong side of the coach and uphill.
I didn't want to go through that ever again.
Next stop, Tweety's. Bought a FloJet portable model.
I also use it on occasion at home. Pump the "stuff" about 150 feet into the woods through a garden hose.
Works great.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Jim I have the 250 dollar portable model and a 75ft 3/4 hose it will pump uphill a long way

porthole

Retired
Only at home use, but I use the Flojet.

Not exactly this kit, but I have this "stuff" (link below)

I have the Flojet pump, two 20' lengths of the 1" smooth wall hose and 2 different sewer hook up adapters with the valves (like shown on the link).

At home, I tied into the waste pipes and ran an extension pipe out through the sill plate. So my hook up is about 2' off the ground.
I use this setup almost every time we get home to empty any residual tankage. Or, because I do have this setup, if a campsite does not have sewer hookup I will usually wait till we get home to dump.

I made an adapter out of a 1.5" ABS cap, drilled and tapped for the hose fitting.

I looked at the systems that used water to pump but see two issues with that for my use.

First, we have low water pressure at home. We are at the end of the line and at the top of a hill - it is what it is.
Second, I want whatever pressure that is available to be be flowing into the black tank rinse.

To get the highest pumping capacity out of this pump, I ran 8 gauge wires from the battery to the ODS of the trailer near the sewer discharge and use industrial battery connectors.

Lou, with the valves shown in the linked kit, this may be just what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Dump-CD...d=1413467281&sr=8-2&keywords=flojet+macerator

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Flo-jet and use it at home to dump right into the septic tank about a 75 foot run uphill. It works great without issues. I recommend it.

Lynn1130

FloJet and I too dump at home into the sewer clean out which is about 3 ft uphill and 30 feet away. Works great and I can spend the time necessary to clean the tank and not worry about a line behind me at the dump station.

SeattleLion

We have the sewer solution. Been using it all summer. It has never had a problem and has done a good job in uphill pumping. The instructions say it can pump up to 10' vertical rise (we never had to go that far). We have an extension (makes the hose 20') and it works like a charm.

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks for all the replies and info you guys provided. I solved the problem simply by using the "first law of plumbing" that is...a certain substance runs downhill

(that's a 8x8 behind the wheel to give you some idea of how high I lifted the rig - it's only up until all is dumped, then back down)

IMG_7249.jpgIMG_7250.jpg

Westwind

We have had a Sewer Solution since 2002, I used it with my 26 ft. TT and when we bought our Bighorn with a washer I went back to a standard RV hose - that lasted one stay of a few days and then I went back to the Solution, I was leery that the narrow hose wouldn't handle the washer water volume, I forgot the water goes into the tank first. The Solution handled everything fine so since then we have used only the Sewer Solution and if asked I would recommend it to anyone. I also have the extension that makes the hose 20 Ft.

HornedToad

I've been able to dump at home into a sewer tap behind my house that I can pull right up next to in the alley. All good things must come to an end... never thought I would say that about waste management.

Moving and DW has a lot picked out for a new house, it's on a corner so I can still park and plug in to get ready, but the alley has a sharp turn so I don't think I'll be able to pull through with the trailer. I will be able to park on the street within about 20 ft of the side of the house where I could have a sewer tap installed, but it will be about 20 inches above the street level.

Reading this thread it doesn't sound like 20 ft or 20 inches will be a problem... Can I let DW get the lot she wants as long as she gets me a Flojet / Sani-con / Sewer Solution???

Geodude

I run the Flojet (aka the Poop Cannon) through 50' of hose and up hill maybe 3 feet, no problem at all.