Possible Bighorn In Our Future?

Steelie53

My wife and I plan on going full time next year. The Bighorn 3160EL and 3370EL check most of our boxes. Would love to hear from current or prospective owners about these rigs. May consider a factory order to get the options we want installed at the factory. Our tow vehicle is an ‘18 Ram 3500 diesel short bed with SRW so we are mindful of our payload cap at 3,652. And, the fact we need a slider hitch.

jimtoo

Hi Steelie53,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed. I'm sure you will get some info soon from our other members.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you in a Heartland unit.

Jim M

MTPockets

My wife and I plan on going full time next year. The Bighorn 3160EL and 3370EL check most of our boxes. Would love to hear from current or prospective owners about these rigs. May consider a factory order to get the options we want installed at the factory. Our tow vehicle is an ‘18 Ram 3500 diesel short bed with SRW so we are mindful of our payload cap at 3,652. And, the fact we need a slider hitch.
Factory order-Yes!.... slide toppers -Yes ..... dual pane windows-Yes! .... Cold weather package - Yes! Hi gloss finish - Yes! You’ll never regret these option! ... especially for full timing...

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
While I did not order a bighorn, I did order my North trail, and yes, it was worth factory order to get what I wanted.

Dual pane windows - yes!

CDN

B and B
Hello,

Do not need a slider. Try a Sidewinder. It is lighter and you still keep your bed for other stuff. I towed a 3575EL with SRW and same payload as you have. I was well within my weights. Dual Pane windows eats up 800 to 1,000 lb of payload capacity.

If you are adding all the options may I suggest a Landmark. We found a Brand New Louisville at 38 ft fully decked out at a great deal, many still out there. No dining table, spent 20 days in it tis years do not miss it with self raising coffee table. Some have dinette.

All the best and good luck on your search,

Brian

Gaffer

You have dual pane windows once and you will never be without them again. They may help with insulation but they really help with reducing outside noise and eliminate condensation when using shower or boiling anything on the stove. Also order the power cord reel and level up

Steelie53

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. My wife and I hope to finalize our selection process and potential factory order by summers end. We have on TT listed for sale. Plan B will be a trade in.

Steelie53

Hello,

Do not need a slider. Try a Sidewinder. It is lighter and you still keep your bed for other stuff. I towed a 3575EL with SRW and same payload as you have. I was well within my weights. Dual Pane windows eats up 800 to 1,000 lb of payload capacity.

If you are adding all the options may I suggest a Landmark. We found a Brand New Louisville at 38 ft fully decked out at a great deal, many still out there. No dining table, spent 20 days in it tis years do not miss it with self raising coffee table. Some have dinette.

Brian

Thanks Brian. The Landmark is a beautiful rig but that really puts me in DRW territory. Maybe my next purchase.…but further down the road. I will certainly look at the Sidewinder.

NYSUPstater

Hello,

Brian

800-1,000lbs? WOW, didn't think they weighed that much. What makes this kinda sad is say in our case, RV weighs 14k empty w/ single pane windows and max wt of 16K. If we went w/ dual pane, our cargo capacity would be reduced by say 1K. Not a lot of wiggle room to extra stuff or need to really figure out what you want to bring/have w/you.

SNOKING

The 2659 dry pin weight of the 3370el might be pushing your rear axle weight when load. ASP if you add a wash/drier. We full timed in a 3575el for a year and a half with our 2015 RAM 3500 diesel/Aisin 4x4 CC SB SRW with a Demco picture frame and B&W manual slider. No W/D but loaded. the 3575el has a 2435 dry pin weight.

Truck and Trailer Weights Light Load Bighorn
Read to towLight LoadLoaded
Front49005120
Drivers62506620
Sub Truck1115011740
Trailer1145012780
GCW2260024520
Truck-8900
Trailer15620

We love the 3575el and it is now our summer home in the NW.

Web site says 3160el is dealer shock only, AKA it is being discontinued.

Attachments

• IMG_20160510_125655785.jpg
    IMG_20160510_125655785.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

SNOKING

Here is what 3,000 pounds looks like between the rear axle and tailgate of a RAM 3500 4x4 CC SB SRW. CHRIS

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_143325.jpg
    IMG_20190615_143325.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 39