Possible fire cause

bdb2047

Water heater tripped breaker checked element first by disconnecting element and the resetting breaker. Breaker held so I thought problem was with element it is not usual for bad element to trip breaker but it can happen. That was not my problem. With futher checking had no voltage,120v, to heater O.K. at switch in wall but at switch on heater. At junction box on heater connections where bad. It looks like on hot leg only the solid wire was in connector with stranded wire from heater in connector but not into the metal that twist wires together. Also found no evidence of a connector on neutral looked to be twisted together and tapped. Maybe worth checking could cause other problems,shocked,flickering lites ect. I had no other indication of problwater heater 009.jpgwater heater 011.jpgem till breawater heater 008.jpgker tripped. water heater 006.jpgwater heater 007.jpg

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Dave,

Where is that Junction box? it seems to me that the connection may have become resistant casing enough heat to melt the wire nut completely off. it the nut was not twisted on tight enough to cause the wires to wrap ( if it was two ) and the nut became loose - that may have allowed for a restive connection. Total speculation on my part here as I am not an electrician. Just thank God that was in a metal junction box... I do not want to think of what could have happen if it was not...

wdk450

This is something for owners to check one time as it is a bear to get to and open up, but has been the cause of MANY reported water heater problems (including my own intermittent then constant problem of repeated water heater circuit breaker trips). This connection seems to be frequently done poorly at the factory. Mine was evidently shorting at the stripped wires. I disconnected than reconnected the wiring, taping the wire nuts in place and tape insulating the wires from each other. No more circuit breaker trips!

This is definitely a situation you don't want to have, but the possible fire danger is minimized because the connections are contained within a small metal electrical box.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave,
Glad you found it before it became more serious. I too have read about this more than once on this forum.

IMHO it is a good idea to check this item, especially if a person is having any unusual symptoms with the WH. Trace

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Dave,

Where is that Junction box? it seems to me that the connection may have become resistant casing enough heat to melt the wire nut completely off. it the nut was not twisted on tight enough to cause the wires to wrap ( if it was two ) and the nut became loose - that may have allowed for a restive connection. Total speculation on my part here as I am not an electrician. Just thank God that was in a metal junction box... I do not want to think of what could have happen if it was not...

In most (?) cases, the junction box is on the side of the water heater, near the outer wall. Depending on your layout, you may have to enter the Basement 'o Doom on your hands and knees. Leave word with next of kin.

In mine, it's between the water heater and the rear wall of the UDC enclosure. Photo is prior to moving converter and EMS box to another location.

View attachment 28909

bdb2047

Dave,

Looking from outside J-box is top left front corner just inside outside wall. To reach mine,with out removing heater,I have to remove electrical panel can just reach it. I believe the initial problem was a bad connection. The stranded wire was not captured in the wire nut when connection was made just held against by tape. Feed wire seams to be annealed 6" outside box will replace entire section from wall switch to J-box.