Possible to add water to holding tank from water jugs -with anderson valve set up?

When I run out of water from the freshwater holding tank (bun-docking with a toyhauler), is it possible to add water through the Anderson valve from 5 gallon water jugs likely via gravity feed?
Water would need to be hauled in from a remote location.

thanks

danemayer

The city water inlet on the Anderson Valve has a built-in check valve to prevent water from coming out that connection when operating the pump. It takes a certain amount of water pressure from the water supply to open that valve. That leaves you with several choices:

1. Get a small pump and use it to pump water from the water container into the valve. Harbor Freight has an inexpensive pump.
2. Add a tee to the pex line going to the fresh tank with a cutoff valve that you would open when adding water.
3. Remove the check valve from the water inlet and replace it with a manual valve that you would open when adding water.

I'd suggest getting the pump.

danemayer

Just a question is it possible to use the on board pump and suck the water in using the winterizing position?

dave

If you suck the water in while the valve is in the winterizing position, it will be available to the faucets and fixtures, but the path to the fresh tank is closed while doing so. If you add a tee to the pex line going to the fresh tank, you could use the winterizing position on the valve and the outside shower to feed pressurized water to the tank.

Yes, absolutely. We did exactly that for one trip last summer when we had no fresh water tank. Worked like a charm!

I am guessing you are stating that water pump will suck water from an external container (with Anderson in winterization position) and distribute the water to the faucets/waterheater and shower.
But as others have stated, it will not pump it in to the holding tank.
Pulling form a container is still a better option than not having water in the coach.
Thanks for letting us know.

Geodude

Yes, that's it. We had our fresh water tank split and drop about 6" last summer but had two trips on the schedule before the dealer could get the tank ordered and installed. So we filled two Aquatainers and used a Y-connector hose to draw from the two containers simultaneously. Like this:
2015-08-28 18.52.09.jpg
(the narrower Desert Patrol container was just there so that I could top up the Aquatainers).

I have friends with Jaycos and they have something similar to the Anderson valve with the notable exception that they can draw water from an external container to fill the on-board fresh water tank. It seems like a better solution. I bought a small pump from Harbor Freight but it adds to the messing around when you want to fill the fresh water tank. And if that pump fails, which mine did, then you've got a new challenge. I now carry two pumps.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I like the use of duck tape that all projects are required to have. :)

Peace
Dave

khalsey

On my "classic" Landmark, I line valves up for winterization then in UDC I snap the hose I made up into sprayer hose quick connect then stick the other end into fresh water fill then turn pump on. There is a long hose on winterzation suction to pump so I can leave my 7 gallon container on ground.

IMG_0978[1].JPGIMG_0979[1].JPG