Potential Buyers

J.B.

We are looking at purchasing a 2011 3055RL. This would be our first 5th wheel. Any positives or negatives would be appreciated.
Thanks,
J.B.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
J.B. welcome to the forum and hopefully the Heartland Family. This is a great place to get the information you are seeking.
I do not own a 3055RL, but we are on our second Bighorn and love them both.
The 3055RL is a very popular model that had been around along time because of that. I know several people that own them.
Hopefully you will hear from an owner soon.
I also moved your thread to the Potential Buyers area.

Peace
Dave

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We don't have the 3055RL either but can tell you we love our 3670RL. The support from this forum and Heartland customer service are second to none. Good luck.

jimtoo

HI J.B.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We have an 08 3055 RL and love it. We had an 06 also and almost went with a 3670 the second time, but decided to stay with the 3055. It's very comfortable and open. The only thing we might consider changing is the king bed to a queen size. Very little room between bed and closet... but since that room is only needed once or twice a day, getting in bed and getting out of bed, it's not that bad,, and besides that it's on the wife's side. :)

You will need 2 a/c's in Texas and I would highly recommend the dual pane windows also.

Enjoy the forum and we are here to help.

Jim M

jayc

Legendary Member
Our first Heartland was a 3055 Bighorn. We traded it in for an '09 Bighorn 3370 because we were retiring and wanted something a little larger. Recently we traded the 3370 for an '11 Landmark Grand Canyon.

No negatives about the 3055. It's been a very popular floorplan.

ihsolutions

Welcome to the forum. I can't comment on the 3055 because we have a 3670RL, but I will say, there's no better company to buy an RV from, in terms of support after the sale. We've had our share of problems, but Heartland has been outstanding to work with. There will be problems with just about anything you buy (unless you get REALLY lucky) but having a company that makes things right, and fast, is what's most important IMO.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Welcome from another 3670RL owner. Regardless of the floorplan that suits your needs (or makes the wife happy), this forum is the place to learn about the nuances and inconveniences that may occur, as well as some of the more serious problems encountered by owners. In most cases, Heartland has stood behind their product and made things right. When you do take delivery of your rig, be sure to do a thorough inspection (PDI) of it before leaving the dealer's lot. Many on the forum can advise you of things to look for and provide checklists to follow. And there is a wealth of information here on how to prevent minor things from becoming major and how to "personalize" the rig to make it your own.

Westwind

Hi we opted for a 3070RL over the 3055 because we wanted a bathroom closed off from the bedroom. My wife and I get up at least once during the night and we thought it might be slightly quieter for the one trying to sleep. Also thought that when the grandchildren came it would offer some privacy while they used the bathroom and we were getting dressed etc. We also got the island which does restrict our getting to the refer while traveling which was fine with us since most of the time we don't take the time to stop and go into the trailer to prepare food, but everyone is different.
Because of time restraints we were not able to do the PDI at the dealership, we had to pick it up and travel 4 hours to home because of my work schedule. I did our PDI at home over a couple of weeks and fortunately found a couple of very minor problems that I took care of myself. I was lucky. If you can plan to do the PDI at the dealer and stay a couple of days near the dealer if it's a distance from your home.
I've been very impressed with the quality of our unit, this forum and Heartland so far.

MTPockets

We've had our 2012 3055RL since October 31st - Spent 4 months shopping and toured factories in indiana including the Big Horn plant, to see how they are built.... We're convinced it's a great unit! First thing I did was tear down that cabinet over the sink in the MBR... It's a head banger - Other than that, we like all the other features - Everything is accessible with the slides in too.... Good luck.

ChopperBill

Our first Horn was a 3055. My only complaint was the cabinet over the sink and the location of the TV and wished there was a window in the kitchen. Was going to have the the cabinet modified and lower the TV, but bought a 3610 instead. Kinda wish I would have done the mods to the 3055. The license fees were $1,000 a year cheaper! Plus pulling and backing a shorter RV is a lot easier for me, and I could double tow.

ibrick

A 3055 was our first Bighorn and we overlooked the fact that the large windows are opposite the door side. We found that having windows on the door side gave you the option of still participating with what was happening at your campsite around the fire or picnic table while inside the unit.

We also found ourselves as base camp many times when with friends and family. The cabinet above the sink eliminated the view out that big back window while cooking or washing dishes, the amount of available light in this area was also an issue at times. The limited counter space made it difficult for entertaining or cooking up a feast when the weather turned bad.

Having the sink and shower exposed to the bedroom might cause more of a problem for those that come late or leave early to those sleeping.

I could shoehorn the 3055 into more places than the 3670.

Everyone's needs are different and the friends we sold the 3055 to are still extremely happy with it.

You can't go wrong with Bighorn quality, amenities and the knowledge available on this forum.

Good luck
Rick

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have a 07 3055RL We just love it yes there is the cabinet it's in the way to watch t.v but we just eat in the living room if we want to watch t.v . I like the fact that I have a laundry place and it is big enough for laundry and other things. We have had it for 5 years and still love it it is just big enough for us. I do like some of the other models but not enough to go buy one. We have this one the way we want it so we will be keeping it for a while longer..

aatauses

If that is the floor plan you like, then go for it---We have the 3670 because of the size of the kitchen, ----this forum it great and the customer service from HL has been outstanding---enjoy
al

J.B.

I just want to say thankyou for all the feedback to our question about the 3055RL. We purchased it today and will pick it up next week. I will be pulling it with a Ford F350 (single wheel) short bed. Should I go with a slider hitch or will a standard 5th wheel hitch work with the radius front cap on the bighorn.
Thanks,
J.B.

Westwind

I have a 3070RL with a Trailer Saver BD3 hitch and it is not a slider hitch, backing into my driveway from the street is a tight back in and I make out fine without the front cap striking the cab of the truck. Initially I was going to get a slider but after searching hitches on this forum and reading everything I could I came to the conclusion that I was fine with a standard hitch and the Bighorn.

Last edited:

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
WE have a slider and Kenny says he would not but another... We have had ours since 06 and never used it!!!

GOTTOYS

I just want to say thankyou for all the feedback to our question about the 3055RL. We purchased it today and will pick it up next week. I will be pulling it with a Ford F350 (single wheel) short bed. Should I go with a slider hitch or will a standard 5th wheel hitch work with the radius front cap on the bighorn.
Thanks,
J.B.
I have a Super-Glide hitch which is an auto slide. Dodges have a little shorter cab to axle distance than the other brands so it can get a little tight. Not sure if I really need it or not because it's the only hitch I've tried. I bought the one that fits on standard rails in the bed. It was very little more than many of the other brand hitches, but I did have to shop online to get a fair price. I'm very happy with it....Don

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
we own an 08 3055 and it has been a great rig. we have not had any problems except for the cheap surround system that it came with had it replaced with another cheap one. It went bad also so I bought a little 100 watt rca and now all is good. I do wish it had the new hydraulic front landing gears. I think the the new bighorns come with it. If not this is probably be the only thing I would change.We have the manual awning which I like because it can be anchored down and hold up better in the wind. It is the shorter than the other bighorns and pulls like a dream .It also comes with the king bed which is nice because we have a dog that sleeps with us. In our opinion it is a great rig We have a lot of heartland friends that have 3055's. they will probably chime in when they see your post. The choice though remains your's. goood hunting

MTPockets

J.B...... We have the F350 crew cab short bed SRW.... We did buy the manual slider, but now I don't think I will ever use it. We've turned it pretty tight and had plenty of clearance with that Big Horn frame design.

jnbhobe

J,B., Too bad your not closer to me. I have an 18K Superglide with rails for a ford. I would make you a deal on it.