Power Cut-outs when running Slides or Landing Gear Motors

I have a 2013 3370RK. When moving the two main slides or the front landing gear the motors quit, after a wait of about 15 sec they go again. This happens about three or four times while moving the slides or landing gear. Sounds like a relay somewhere. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be?

THANKS

PAUL

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: pwer cutouts

It sounds like you have either a low voltage situation causing the auto-reset breaker to trip or you have a weak 50 amp breaker.
It is not uncommon to replace the 50 amp breaker that protects the hydraulic pump wires.
To identify the correct breaker follow the heavy red cable from the hydraulic pump to the breaker.
Breakers cost around $10 or less and take about 10 minutes to change.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

As Dave mentioned, a low battery will cause the breaker to trip (or a fuse to blow). Try operating the hydraulics while still connected to shore power, if it's available, or to the truck with the motor running.

it has to be a relay or breaker, because it did it while using ground power and battery power. Is that the breaker found in the forward basement section?

danemayer

The 12V DC mini-circuit breakers are located near the battery. They're usually covered by a red rubber boot. Here are some pics from different rigs.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 50
  • circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 47

It sounds like you have either a low voltage situation causing the auto-reset breaker to trip or you have a weak 50 amp breaker.
It is not uncommon to replace the 50 amp breaker that protects the hydraulic pump wires.
To identify the correct breaker follow the heavy red cable from the hydraulic pump to the breaker.
Breakers cost around $10 or less and take about 10 minutes to change.

Peace
Dave

I went by camping world and they agreed that it probably is the 50 amp CB connected to the hyd pump. They recommended replacing it with a high fuse. Is this a good idea, or no way Jose?

Paul

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: power cutouts

A higher amperage breaker would have a different form factor. A lot of people have changed out their 50 amp breaker for an 80 amp breaker.
Changing to an 80 amp breaker will require a little extra wiring.
For me, when I had a problem, I just replaced the 50 amp breaker with another 50 amp breaker. That solved my problem.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

danemayer

There are differences of opinion on moving to a larger breaker to fix the problem. At one time Lippert recommended moving up to an 80 amp breaker, but then they withdrew that Lip Sheet.

Some people have had the current usage measured and found that the motor is pulling close to 80 amps. But the question remains: why is it pulling that many amps?

So before you move to a higher value breaker, you should check things out to make sure you have clean, tight electrical connections, a good battery charge, and no binds in the mechanical parts.

Changing to a new 50 amp breaker may just solve the problem in 10 minutes for $10.

TedS

The motor is rated at 1 hp, 745 watts. At 12 volts, rated current is 62 amps. So at anytime, depending on load, the motor could draw 62 or more amps. I fail to understand why Heartland continues to use a 50 amp breaker. I changed mine to 80 amps and did not look back.