Powerking Tire Failure on Cyclone 4200

Tree14

HELP we own Cyclone 4200 and our center tire blew and shredded into pieces a b d it flattened the tire in front. Trailer is barely a year old JUNK ****** TIRES !! Anyone replaced there's yet?
Stranded on FL turnpike and furious! !!!#

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Tree14

Re: Enough of the Big Country and Landmark threads.. Go Road Warrior and Cyclone's!

I guess we are to busy having a good time with our toy haulers to post threads! Lol.

Think i i stirred the pot with this thread? :cool:
They are nice but BEWARE TIRES ARE DANGEROUSLY CRAP !! Ours is barely 1 year old and we are stranded kn Florida's turnpike right now due to center tire falling yo pieces and blew the tire in front of it too !! American Guardian policy, they NEVER WANT TO HELP, ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, NOT!! Underneath trailer damage and ruined my vacation! !

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: RV tires

HELP we own Cyclone 4200 and our center tire blew and shredded into pieces a b d it flattened the tire in front. Trailer is barely a year old JUNK ****** TIRES !! Anyone replaced there's yet?
Stranded on FL turnpike and furious! !!!#

Tree14, sorry to hear of your mishap.

First you'll need to tell us what brand tires were on it, and then there should be a stamp on the backside of the wheel saying it's load rating (like 3750 or similar) or psi (80 or 110). Then we can help recommend tires.

Could it be you hit something that caused the blowout, or were your tires under inflated? Were you running faster than the Speed rating of the tire? Could you be overloaded? Have you rubbed a curb, or hit large potholes in the past? All these things contribute to tire failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Re: Enough of the Big Country and Landmark threads.. Go Road Warrior and Cyclone's!

They are nice but BEWARE TIRES ARE DANGEROUSLY CRAP !! Ours is barely 1 year old and we are stranded kn Florida's turnpike right now due to center tire falling yo pieces and blew the tire in front of it too !! American Guardian policy, they NEVER WANT TO HELP, ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, NOT!! Underneath trailer damage and ruined my vacation! !

Hi Tree14,

Would you mind sharing what year/model trailer you have and what brand of tires it came with.

Tree14

POWER KING came on it 11 months ago brand new. We're lucky we're alive. On the side of the road now 4 hours NO ONE will help !! We have tire extended warranty, trailer extended warranty !!! NO HELP! !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree14

REALLY rubbed a curb?? I gave driven big rigs since I was 16 horse trailers.

Tree14

2016 Cyclone 4200 Power King tires

TravelTiger

That seems unusual. I thought Heartland switched to load range G tires on all toyhaulers in 2014.

Tree14

Tree14, sorry to hear of your mishap.

First you'll need to tell us what brand tires were on it, and then there should be a stamp on the backside of the wheel saying it's load rating (like 3750 or similar) or psi (80 or 110). Then we can help recommend tires.

Could it be you hit something that caused the blowout, or were your tires under inflated? Were you running faster than the Speed rating of the tire? Could you be overloaded? Have you rubbed a curb, or hit large potholes in the past? All these things contribute to tire failure.

TT
No of the above we are both highly experienced drivers. We were under 60 mph and definitely not overloaded. Just CRAP tires, ruined 2 sensors , fkashing/ underpinning of trailer snd my vacation and faith I n Heartland

Tree14

Well nope each tire 3500lb rated and there are 6. 20,000lbs

danemayer

Hi Tree14,

People who have had early life tire failures usually go through similar frustrating steps. Maybe I can save you some time and aggravation.

First, the tires are warranted by the distributor, not by Heartland. So Heartland will point you at the distributor for warranty. The usual path with the distributor is for them to invite you to send the damaged tire back to them for inspection. They will likely tell you that they found no defect, but are willing to give you $100-150 as a goodwill gesture. They will not pay for any damage to the trailer.

As an alternative, you may want to report the issue to NHTSA with complete information including the tire numbers stamped on the sidewall, and make the tire available to NHTSA for inspection. If they find a manufacturing defect, they can order corrective action.

You'll likely be putting the spare on and buying a replacement tire. You may want to replace all 7 tires, especially since you don't trust the tires any more. No need to wait for a 2nd incident. Be sure to check the load capacity (lbs) of the new tires, not just the load rating.

Your trailer collision/comprehensive insurance should cover the cost of repairs to the trailer, less your deductible.

Btw, even the best tires can fail. A few years ago one of our Goodyear G614s threw its thread, taking out the j-wrap and fender.

TravelTiger

Well nope each tire 3500lb rated and there are 6. 20,000lbs

Tree14, you said "nope" are they G rated or E rated tires? Specs on HL say tires are G rated.

Tree14

Yes I believe they're g surely that did not put the wrong rated tires on it originally? ? The guy that changed our tires said anybody he has seen with big rigs with that same tire has had them on for less than 60 days and got rid of them he said they're nothing but junk. I wish I could show you the picture we have it in the back of the truck there's nothing left of it pathetic

danemayer

Yes I believe they're g surely that did not put the wrong rated tires on it originally? ?
The GVWR label near the front, off-door-side, shows the tires that were originally spec'd for your trailer. The Heartland website currently shows LR-G, but for a 2016 model year build, it could have been LR-E.

LBR

In the proper forum, search keywords "towmax" & "blowmax" for more input on Power King tires, possibly to steer you to a different brand àfter your horrid day today.

Several others here may also agree that your 4200 probably did have the Sailun shoes on when it left the factory, but got a different set put on prior to your purchase.

TravelTiger

The GVWR label near the front, off-door-side, shows the tires that were originally spec'd for your trailer. The Heartland website currently shows LR-G, but for a 2016 model year build, it could have been LR-E.

Dan, they made the switch to load range G back when I was still newsletter editor, so it's been a while. I doubt they would go back to E. but they could change brands of G rated tires.

Lynn1130

Much like you I had very low miles on a new trailer at 65 mph with a 70 degree day and way under loaded when the tire blew and damaged the trailer. The tire distributor asked and paid for the tire to be sent back and then lost the tire. I pushed until they settled for about what the damage was. I had replaced the tires within 3 hours of the first blow out. I did not go through my insurance.

You can push the tire distributor, which took me about 6 months of staying on their A** or you can go through your insurance company and get the damage repaired right away. Or you can do both and try to get your deductible back from the tire people. They will not give up easily and you will have to stay on them.

Bottom line to this is that you will need to replace all tires now and you will get nothing from anyone for the other 5 tires. Just be prepared to bite the bullet with that replacement. You might get lucky and sell the others on Craig's List and get a few dollars back.

My daughters tell me that I should start a "recovery" business that deals with going after companies that fail to pay up because I generally "show them no quarter" when dealing with these people. I take it to the wall.

Tree14

There are tons of posts on these tires. A member told me to file a complaint with NHSTB , we should all do this. What did you replace the POS ones with? ?

TravelTiger

Tree14, please tell us for sure what your sticker says and the date of manufacture. I think I would also confirm with Heartland directly as to what tire should have been installed on the rig. I found an advertisement in my Heartland Newsletter from Q-3 of 2015 advertising all Toyhaulers will now come with Sailun G rated tires.

This would suggest units made after August 2015 probably had the Sailuns.