Powermax TowMax tires

tireman9

TPMS will only warn you if you are loosing air, not if there is a belt separation occurring. If your tires look like any of these I suggest you have your TowMax or Heartland dealer do a full inspection. If they say the tire is OK then get that in writing.
IMG_1819_Small.jpgIMG_1820_Small.jpgIMG_1821_Small.jpgIMG_1822_Small.jpg

tireman9

If you have LR-E TowMax tires be sure to read the load rating on the tires. I understand that some are rated at 3520# @ 80 psi. This is 100# per tire higher than the same size when manufactured by some other tire companies. You can confirm the load & inflation on your Placard also. If you change brands you may be giving up some load capacity and will need to reduce the load you carry.
While you are at it, be sure to confirm you have metal bolt in valves. I have heard that sometimes passenger rubber valves have been used in the 80 psi application. Standard rubber valves are only rated for 65 psi max at cold inflation.
THIS post is just one of 8 posts I have done on valves.

tireman9

To all who are complaining about various tire problems. How many of you have bothered to file a complaint with NHTSA? If you did, did you provide the complete DOT serial and trailer VIN?
If you did not file a complaint then I hope you feel better by just complaining here as there will never be a recall if there aren't enough complaints filed with accurate information.

FlyerChief

For those of you who might question the value of filing a safety complaint with NHTSA, just do it! About 18 months ago, we had a complete brake failure in our SOB motorhome - a Freightliner front engine diesel with hydraulic brakes. I filed a complaint with NHTSA - mine was the first - and posted on that brand's version of this forum - got a dozen or so others to file also. The end result was a recall was issued several months ago. Of course, we have since gotten rid of the MH and are enjoying our BH ;-)

In my conversations with the NHTSA investigators, they said that their most difficult task was often just getting folks to file reports. The more the better. Their second issue was being able to get their hands on 'evidence'. Too often folks have something repaired and don't keep the original defective part. They also said that it is very difficult for them to force non-US based companies to do recalls. Not impossible, just difficult - thus the need to get as many reports as possible!

File those safety reports!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I got rid of my TowMax Tires yesterday and replaced the original wheels and tires with some new ones from Scott at Trailer tires and wheels. The BH is now sporting Goodyear G114 with Hi-Spec Series 7 Wheels. Here are a couple shots before and after. Sorry, our RV Pad is pretty narrow so I was not able to get back away from them very far. That along with my new TST 507 TPMS, I think we are set in the tires and wheels department! :cool:

My DW and I got lucky and replaced the Towmax's before we had a blowout thanks to all of the great information from all of you on the HOC website. Thank you all!

AFTER/NOW :D
After.jpg After 2.jpg After 1.jpg

BEFORE :mad:
Before 1.jpg Before 2.jpg Before.jpg

Rod Ditrich

donr827

I got rid of my TowMax Tires yesterday and replaced the original wheels and tires with some new ones from Scott at Trailer tires and wheels. The BH is now sporting Goodyear G114 with Hi-Spec Series 7 Wheels. Here are a couple shots before and after. Sorry, our RV Pad is pretty narrow so I was not able to get back away from them very far. That along with my new TST 507 TPMS, I think we are set in the tires and wheels department! :cool:

My DW and I got lucky and replaced the Towmax's before we had a blowout thanks to all of the great information from all of you on the HOC website. Thank you all!

AFTER/NOW :D
View attachment 23375 View attachment 23374 View attachment 23373

BEFORE :mad:
View attachment 23376 View attachment 23377 View attachment 23378

Rod Ditrich

Rod, nice looking wheels. I bet you like the peace of mind with new wheels and tires.
Don

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Yes I do. I stressed out each time I towed it wondering it today was the day. I stopped at every rest stop, checked the temperature, pressure and looked for blemishes in the tires. I look forward to towing without worrying.

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

haulinem

So has there been ANY communication from Heartland about this problem, real or perceived? I mean, they ship their units with these tires, they must have faith in them no?

Oscar, according to many previous posts Heartland has been made well aware of the tire problem. In addition, they must monitor these forums since they chime in on occasion. After reading the posts about the tires I recently took a closer look at the ones on my 4100 King with less than 5000 miles and noticed some odd looking lines in the sidewalls running from the wheel toward the tread. Not sure if these indicate underlying separation issues or not but given all the negative posts I decided not to take any chances. I replaced all the tires and wheels and went with 17.5" wheels and Sumitomo ST727 tires. Not a cheap conversion by any means but I now have more clearance between tires (which is reduced if converting to LT tires, especially important with our tri-axle setup), 75 MPH speed rating and no loss in load capacity. I plan on taking the OEM tires to an expert for evaluation, whether they are bad or not at least now I have peace of mind while haulinem. Hope you enjoy your King!

Terry & Grace

Lobovista

Elkridge is still in the shop getting $7000 worth of damage repaired from two Tow max tires throwing their tread during a trip to the Keys. First one went on the way down in Miami. Was able to limp to next exit and lucky to find tire shop (tire did not lose air, just the tread). Replaced with another ST tire and went down the road. On trip back outside of New Orleans on I-10, second tire on other side went just like the other. Took out all the LP piping, lights, fenders, etc. still was able to run on aired up treadless tire for about 8 miles to tire shop. I had reviewed all the tire problems on the Internet and now was a believer in throwing away these new looking tires with 3000 miles and replaced with LT tires. Stuck at a Firestone dealer so had to get Firestone tires. Hope they are all right. Called Heartland and was told they were unaware of any tire problems with the Tow Max. This really spoiled an otherwise great trip. Get rid of these tires as fast as you can and go to a tire made to haul people at 104 mph. They are made much better.

Last edited:

hbjersurf

I had a similar experience. Blew 2 power max tow max tires in one trip with under 1000 miles on them. I just blew my third two da
ys ago in the middle of the desert near Parker, AZ. Ugh. Coinsidentally my 11 year old son noticed a slight buldge in the tire on a break 35 minutes prior to it blowing. I took note and thought that it may be sitting on a bump on the ground or something. Sure enough it blew. Treads peeled completely off. I made it home on my spare and traded out the remaining tire with the extra that I had purchased and took with me on the trip in case I got stuck and couldnt find a replacement due to the odd size. I had it with me. I have a mid size tt North Trail 28 BHS and they only placed 205-75-R14 on it. Hopefully its just bad tires. All combined took out metal (seal) in wheel well on one side and partial on other, wheel well skirt, and a running light. I guess i will see what they will do. I kept the blown tire this time!

rbvett

Rod;
I have a 2013 3055 with Towmax tires and very worried after reading all the horror stories about blow outs. Can you call me, or send me your number and I will call you - bunch of questions about 215 series tires and 17.5" wheel clearance.

Thanks,
Ron Niemi
rbvett@yahoo.com
916 240-1050
El Dorado Hills, Ca (Near Sacramento)

Theresau

We just caught our tire bubble luckily when it went on the BH. Tire dealer indicated that the tires had delaminated. They still had sufficient tread and from the surface looked ok - Joe kept them covered, etc. Thank goodness we stopped at the rest area we did and that Joe checked over the trailer that time.

We replaced all 4 of the tires before we sold the BH - didn't feel good about selling it with faulty tires.

We went with Goodyears on the new BC. It was a change request as we had already ordered it.

Gaffer

I have a 3055 and loaded there is only 10k on the rear axels. You don't need a heavier-duty tire just a better E-rated tire. I switched to Maxxis and would do it again in a heartbeat. They are a quality tire and can be purchased at Discount Tire. 110 pounds or more air on a rig this weight would make for a rough ride.

Rod;
I have a 2013 3055 with Towmax tires and very worried after reading all the horror stories about blow outs. Can you call me, or send me your number and I will call you - bunch of questions about 215 series tires and 17.5" wheel clearance.

Thanks,
Ron Niemi
rbvett@yahoo.com
916 240-1050
El Dorado Hills, Ca (Near Sacramento)

TireHobby

This is just my opinion..My understanding is that the difference between the two is the STR has added one synthetic belt to the construction if the tire. I don't see how one additional belt can change a tire from junk to greatness. They might be okay on a trailer as light as yours but if it was mine..I'd sell them for whatever you can get and put on a set of good old American made trouble free LT truck tires. Don

The new power King TowMax STR series of ST tires have an added nylon cap on all 15” & 16” sizes. The nylon cap is designed to help prevent early tread separations.

The STR is a much improved tire and has a separate 4 year warranty starting with the 2012 production cycle. Of course those with early failures will not like that information. But, if you don’t know your actual tire loads on each axle position you may want to check them out before your new tires have early failures.

TireHobby

TireHobby

TowMax STR is the "name" of the tire. ST is a type of tire classification.

Here is our tire from 2 years ago. Luckily caught before a blowout. (Notice the STR)

View attachment 23036

This tire was less than 2 yrs old, and was the spare tire. We had to put it on the trailer and had used it about 600 miles when I discovered the stretched tread on the inside sidewall.

I would consider getting something else. Worth it for the peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I see in your picture is a tire sized ST235/80R17. That’s very disturbing because the TowMax STR isn’t manufactured in the 17” diameter.

Just coping TowMax pictures when I noticed the 17.

TireHobby

ncrzrbk

I weighed my rig a few weeks ago and the trailer came in at 10,250 lbs. With load capacity of the Powerking, I am we'll under the 6k axle rating and tire load when keeping them at 80 psi. I have the TST on them and monitor them constantly. I also double check with a pressure gauge. So far, the tires look fine and haven't had to adjust any pressures. The tires are holding a constant cold temps between 79 and 80.
My date code on my tires are 1212 so I am hopeful these tires will hold. I have read many forums and it seems the newer tires are performing better than previous older tires. Keeping fingers crossed. I have only towed them about 1k miles so far and they still look new. No noticeable signs of bubbles or separation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KiwiRVer

We have done about 5k on our Towmax and replaced two. First one got a cut from a pothole on an interstate exit and the InnoTechRV TPMS went off instantly so that was no problem. Second one I noticed the tire was a different shape from the others, had a rounded section whilst the others were square across the top. Took it to a tire place and they diagnosed internal tread separation. Powermax paid for a replacement of the second one under warranty. I am still arguing with the tire insurance company about the first one (*^%$%^$# Scumbags.)

Lynn1130

I just read an article on trailer tires in Trailer Life. One of the tires recommended was Tow Max. NO NO NO NO!