Powermax TowMax tires

TireHobby

Ok pulled the plug today and replaced all my Towmax with Firestone Transforce HT LT tires. As I intimated earlier, the problem may not be as much poor quality of tires but poor selection of tires by Heartland. They choose tires that will last from the factory to the first campground because that is where a large majority of their rigs end up so why spend more money on a tire that will last thousands of miles of travelling if it is just going to sit for the rest of its life in a local campground.

Daggonit I always take a lot of heat for pointing out regulations. But sometimes it needs to be said just because of the safety factors.

Having a great feeling about tire strength can just go so far, then you're going to run into snags.

The absolute minimum standard for tire fitment to RV trailer axles is to equal the manufacturers GAWR for that vehicle. The manufacturer does that and places their selection on the vehicle's certification label.

Now vehicle owners do not have to abide by what the manufacturer has done. But the rule is to at least match the Original Equipment tire selection by the manufacturer with size/load capacity. Some will argue that. I can provide dozens of references that support the manufacturer's selection.

Now, let's get to the point at hand. Putting two tires rated at 3042# ea on 6750# GAWR axles is not acceptable by any standards. I know the TransForce HT LT comes with load capacities of 3415# and 3640# but they are normally too tall or wide for RV trailer axle usage so I suspect you're using the popular LT235/85R16E size. The 2013 specs for the BC 3690 SL says it has 7000# axles. And I have no doubt that it does. However, the vehicle manufacturer can lower the rating on those axles to allow them to set a valid GVWR. I'll bet when the certification label is checked it will depict two 6750# GAWRs. I checked a lot of certification labels last year with GVWRs around 15500# and every single one of them had GAWRs of 6750#.

I read and notice tire things in numerous forums. Sometimes owners just don't now they've created an unsafe condition for themselves. I hope this post will open some eyes and get people to do deeper research on their replacement tire options.

TH

KiwiRVer

Well TH I am sorry but I did hours and hours of research on what tire to replace the garbage the manufacturer decided were appropriate and am now more confused than ever. Nowhere was I able to find anything that said the max weight to put on a particular tire was such and such. All they ever said was load rating E which only seems to relate to the number of plys.

I am afraid this tire rating ******* is purposely designed to totally confuse the consumer. In the end I took the advice of the supposed tire professionals who said that the Firestone Transforce was suitable for my rig.

Clearly the manufacturer doesn't know what is suitable because if they did I wouldn't have had two tire failures in less than 8k miles on a rig that is under the GVWR.

You so called tire experts who haunt these forums don't help because no-where have I seen any one of you say clearly and succinctly that this tire is suitable for this GVWR or GAWR and this one is not!!!! If you are an expert put your money where your mouth is and lay it all out for the rest of us in language we can understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Well TH I am sorry but I did hours and hours of research on what tire to replace the garbage the manufacturer decided were appropriate and am now more confused than ever. Nowhere was I able to find anything that said the max weight to put on a particular tire was such and such. All they ever said was load rating E which only seems to relate to the number of plys.

What's stamped on the sidewall of the tire? Is there a max weight? Max air pressure number?

TireHobby

I am afraid this tire rating ******* is purposely designed to totally confuse the consumer. In the end I took the advice of the supposed tire professionals who said that the Firestone Transforce was suitable for my rig.

Clearly the manufacturer doesn't know what is suitable because if they did I wouldn't have had two tire failures in less than 8k miles on a rig that is under the GVWR.

You so called tire experts who haunt these forums don't help because no-where have I seen any one of you say clearly and succinctly that this tire is suitable for this GVWR or GAWR and this one is not!!!! If you are an expert put your money where your mouth is and lay it all out for the rest of us in language we can understand.

The SpecialTrailer (ST) presents a challenge to the first time RV trailer owner. Most often they are just not familiar with the numerous design and specification differences between those tires and the ones they are use to. They are too acclimated to their experiences with their every-day tires.

I'll just get this one out of the way because you are being affected by it. Because the ST235/85R16E tire is manufactured with three distinct maximum load capacities -3420# - 3500# - 3520# - all at 80 psi - it presents a problem for the RV trailer manufacturer. Regulations state when the same sized tire is built with varying load capacities only the lowest value can be used in axel fitments. Now you have a trailer that must have it's real axel capacity reduced by the vehicle manufacturer so they can use any of the varying load capacity tires.

By design, ST tires have a much higher load capacity than a like sized Light Truck tire (LT). Example: LT235/85R16E tires have a maximum load capacity of 3042# at 80psi. The ST235/85R16E tires have a maximum load capacity of 3640# at 80 psi. Many tire store retailers are not familiar enough with the ST tire to know there is a vast difference in the two LRE (orother comparable load ranges) tires.

The DOTregulation for tire fitment on your trailer is very firm on minimum tire/rim size. It states in part that the manufacturer MUST fit tires/rims to - at the very minimum match - your trailer's certified GAWR. That means each tire on your trailer MUST have a minimum load capacity of at least 3375#. The only 16" LT tire currently suitable for fitment on your axles is the LT235/85R16G rated at 3750# at 110 psi. There are manufacturer options for that sized tire with vast price range differences. Other options are available in 17.5"sizes. None of those options are failure free but they have shown they will last longer when properly maintained.

Here is a link to the most recent Firestone warranty for your tires. Of most interest maybe on page 21 - 28 - 33 Item B.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/BFS1211.pdf

TireHobby

Last edited:

kinports

hi,
we had three blow outs in one weekend with the towmax tires. i have a 3950 cyclone 2010. i have replaced them with maxxis 8008. my question is how do i go about getting all the replacement metal and trim pieces to make my rig look new again? any help would be great. we are in maryland
thanks Shane
301-884-8945

Bksvo

Contact Heartland. You get a nice discount for being a member here. I went through the same thing last fall, and I thought the prices were very reasonable.

danemayer

hi,
we had three blow outs in one weekend with the towmax tires. i have a 3950 cyclone 2010. i have replaced them with maxxis 8008. my question is how do i go about getting all the replacement metal and trim pieces to make my rig look new again? any help would be great. we are in maryland
thanks Shane
301-884-8945
Hi Shane,

Sorry to hear this. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. You should be able to order the parts directly from Heartland if you plan to do the work yourself.

If you join the Owners Club, you'll get 10% of the price of parts. Here's a link.

dbbls59

One of my Tow Max developed belt separation. Upon removing that wheel I noticed another with cord separation. I removed that one and noticed another the same way. I think the fourth tire was OK but it went into the junk pile with the others. Replaced with Sailun S637 G rated tires. I am worried that the Tow Max spare will go bad. These tires have about 3000 miles and less than a years use on them.

57chevyconvt

Call Heartland about your Tow Max tire problem. They will give you a telephone number of their supplier that will provide you with some adjustment on the Tow Max tires, providing that you have a written report from the tire dealer where you bought the new tire stating the mode of failure. It worked for me when two of the Tow Max tires failed with only 3500 miles and less that a year old. They allowed me credit for the other tires since I was not comfortable running the two other tires to failure.

ncrzrbk

One of my Tow Max developed belt separation. Upon removing that wheel I noticed another with cord separation. I removed that one and noticed another the same way. I think the fourth tire was OK but it went into the junk pile with the others. Replaced with Sailun S637 G rated tires. I am worried that the Tow Max spare will go bad. These tires have about 3000 miles and less than a years use on them.

Where do you buy the Saliun S637 in the USA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A

articcolds

After reading all the lists about the tow max tires I am concerned I better think about replacing my tires as soon as I can. I have a 2023 Bighorn 3855FL with these same tires. I have had a few trips but the tires are brand new. I am thinking this summer when I head to Texas for the winter it is quite a haul fully loaded. My last Rv I had the same tires and blew tow out on the way down to Texas. Luckily it wasn't both on the same side. Sounds like a junk tire and I better start thinking ahead. Andy

jimtoo

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Some folks have used the tires a long time with no problems and some have had problems soon after taking possession of their unit. I think the quality of the tires has been improved in the last year or so... we are not seeing as many failures.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Agfinders

I purchased a 3610RE in November 2012 with Towmax tires and have towed approx 3,000 miles and experienced 1 major blowout and 1 near tire fire in a single weekend. Very disappointed in the response so far from the dealer and Heartland.

i was told they would furnish the phone number of towmax for adjustment purposes. This really gives me a sour taste after reading all over the Internet about all the problems with this brand. And besides that I purchased a RV not a set of tires. It amazes me that you purchase a supposedly quality unit that comes with the cheapest pieces of c*** tires available.

since it was my first RV I was unaware of the issues and the lack of support from the manufacturer when told the tire manufacturer would examine the tires and more than likely rule that the failures were a result of low pressure or overheating. I check the pressures religiously before traveling and any moron could conclude excessive heat when a tire fails. Tires will heat up and the load will matter when the pressure drops to below safe levels.

the major blowout caused extensive damage to the side of the RV and I was directed to my insurance carrier. This is not their problem it is the purchasing decision to put bad tires on a quality unit. I will continue to post in all forums and reviews on this matter and I will never recommend a Heartland product to anyone unless they are willing to step up and resolve the issues.

skip Meyer

jimtoo

Hi skip Meyer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I understand your unhappiness with the tires as almost the same thing happened to me about 5 years ago with Mission tires. But,, if you make a call to Tredit Tire (800) 537-2925 , and be nice they may be willing to help. They have helped a lot of folks with tire problems in the past and we have not seen many in the last year or so. They will want the old tire or tires and an estimate from a repair shop. I'm not saying they will do anything, but they have been known to help.

You did purchase a trailer with tires on it.. but the tires, like all the appliances are warranted by the manufacture of the part, not the trailer manufacture. Even the car and truck dealers do not warrant the tires on the vehicles they sell... even on the $60 to $90K Hummers or what ever. (Speaking from 34 years as parts and service manager for a GM and Dodge dealer.)

So when you make the call,,,be nice,,not demanding. Sugar and sweets will get you a lot more help than vinegar and pepper.

Keep us informed.

Jim M

scottyb

I purchased a 3610RE in November 2012 with Towmax tires and have towed approx 3,000 miles and experienced 1 major blowout and 1 near tire fire in a single weekend. Very disappointed in the response so far from the dealer and Heartland.

i was told they would furnish the phone number of towmax for adjustment purposes. This really gives me a sour taste after reading all over the Internet about all the problems with this brand. And besides that I purchased a RV not a set of tires. It amazes me that you purchase a supposedly quality unit that comes with the cheapest pieces of c*** tires available.

since it was my first RV I was unaware of the issues and the lack of support from the manufacturer when told the tire manufacturer would examine the tires and more than likely rule that the failures were a result of low pressure or overheating. I check the pressures religiously before traveling and any moron could conclude excessive heat when a tire fails. Tires will heat up and the load will matter when the pressure drops to below safe levels.

the major blowout caused extensive damage to the side of the RV and I was directed to my insurance carrier. This is not their problem it is the purchasing decision to put bad tires on a quality unit. I will continue to post in all forums and reviews on this matter and I will never recommend a Heartland product to anyone unless they are willing to step up and resolve the issues.

skip Meyer

Agfinders, sorry to hear about the damage to your rig. It really stinks to have to replace tires on a new rig, but that's exactly what I did, to the tune of $2K. I had researched this forum prior to taking delivery on my new Cyclone and headed staright for Discount Tire before my 1st trip. HL is no different than any other manufacturer, when it comes to tires. In fact, the same applies to new cars or trucks. The warranty for tires falls immediately upon the tire's manufacturer.

Agfinders

skip Meyer

update on tire debacle, I have spoken with the towmax tire distributor and filed a claim on the tire causing the damage and the other blowout which did not cause any damage. I was polite and nice as suggested even though difficult.
the claim own the first blowout is in jeopardy due to the tire totally blew apart and only small fragments remained and I was not willing to venture into 3 lanes of commuter traffic to gather chunks. The second tire was examined by Americas Tire and no cause for the failure was evident. The tire measured 8/32 with new tread 10/32 so it was stated they were 20% worn.
The warranty provides for full replacement if over 8/32. I was offered a settlement in the $98.00 range which equates to an 80% settlement.

there was no consideration towards the 2 remaining tires and the spare and they would only replace the one. The other is still under review.

i am waiting on a call direct from the manufacturer as to the hopes of reimbursement for all the tires and the damage to the RV.

if no offer comes to replace all the tires I then will go back to Heartland for settlement and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

my opinion is the Towmax tires are junk and Heartland puts them on to save cost and I believe with the 3610RE the tires are at the top of the rating scale and can easily be overloaded causing a dangerous situation that puts the safety of customers at risk.

on rigs this heavy they should be installing 14 ply tires w/110 psi rating and hey would have a lot happier customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

kinports

This makes for a good conversation. The date on my tires that blew out was 1208, i bought the camer in october 2010. so the tires were over two years old when we purchased a 60+ thousand dollar rig. These big companies just dont care about the american people anymore, they just want there numbers to look good at any expense.

danemayer

This makes for a good conversation. The date on my tires that blew out was 1208, i bought the camer in october 2010. so the tires were over two years old when we purchased a 60+ thousand dollar rig. These big companies just dont care about the american people anymore, they just want there numbers to look good at any expense.
Hi kinports,

Your elapsed time may be overlooking time on the lot, either at Heartland or at the Dealer.

You should look at the build sticker on the frame to see when your trailer was built. Your 2010 could have been built as early as mid-2009 when the tires were perhaps 6 months out of their factory. If the build sticker is no longer legible, you can probably get the build date from Heartland Customer Service.