Prayers for Malcolm & Valerie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Prayers for Malcolm & Vallerie

Brings up a question. Is the H.O.T.E.L. listing still maintained? It was a good place to look for member assistance when out on the roads. In a situation like the Talleys' someone nearby might be able to tow the rig to a safe location. I know in my neck of the woods, I'd toss the hitch in the bed and respond.

Good to hear they're OK and do have someone nearby.

VKTalley

I'll let Malcolm fill in the details but we are camped about 1/4 mile away. Both are Ok, took 2 from van to hospital but didn't appear to be major injuries. The BC's front impacted the rear of the truck after the hitch ripped out. Not sure how bad damage is but I was able to hook it up after towing company pulled his truck away and towed them to our campground. As Terry H mentioned, now comes fun of dealing with insurance.

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers. As Lou mentioned, he was able to tow us to the campground they are in and we are set up here for the night. Malcolm has been on the phone already filing insurance claims. We were on our way to NC for a 40th wedding anniversary party of Malcolm's aunt and uncle and our kids are coming...Elizabeth (daughter) and her family flying from WA state and David (son) driving up from his AF base in north FL. They will be there but it remains to be seen whither or not Malcolm and I get to go. The truck is totaled, we could tell that but not sure on the trailer until the insurance company sends their assessor out. We will keep everyone posted on our progress.

MCTalley

Thanks everyone for the prayers and support. And a special thanks to Lou and Bette Dick who were staying at a campground a mere 1/4 mile away and came to our rescue. Our truck had to be towed in (we're pretty sure it is totaled). The trailer didn't fare as badly, but because the rear hitch rail ripped loose from the bed of the truck and the hitch itself ripped out of the front hitch rail (all Reese components), the front compartment of the trailer crashed into the back of the truck. We do know the front compartment floor is bent down and the front wall is obviously in bad shape. We also suspect potential frame damage as the front jacks don't look like they cock out like they did originally. Our MorRyde hitch didn't fare too well, either, but held up well enough to get it to the campground.

We were driving in the passing lane on a divided four-lane road. We were approaching an intersection when a vehicle crossed into my path. We ended up plowing into them and pushing them about 100 feet to the right and off the side of the road into the grass.

Lou Dick hooked up our trailer after we got the truck out from under it and pulled us to the campground right up the street. We have it set up and are in it now. We've only found a couple items damaged inside from the impact, but nothing major.

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%204%2010%2021%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%204%2017%2035%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%204%2017%2040%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%204%2032%2018%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%204%2042%2056%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%204%2043%2030%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%204%2044%2050%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%205%2022%2032%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%205%2026%2036%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%205%2039%2023%20PM-M.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%205%2039%2027%20PM-M.jpg

Lou and Bette to the rescue!

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%205%2049%2029%20PM-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bones

Glad to hear you guys are ok and WOW what an impact.

VKTalley

Glad to hear you guys are ok and WOW what an impact.

It was...and as was already mentioned, we walked away with some sore spots and muscles.
Interesting little side note...as I walked around check things inside the rig after getting it set up at the campground, I have yet to find anything broken. Still need to check every shelf and cabinet, but my quick visual check only showed things shifted towards the nose of the rig.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

If I may ask, how did you know Lou and Bette were close by to assist in your time of need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

It was...and as was already mentioned, we walked away with some sore spots and muscles.
Interesting little side note...as I walked around check things inside the rig after getting it set up at the campground, I have yet to find anything broken. Still need to check every shelf and cabinet, but my quick visual check only showed things shifted towards the nose of the rig.
Make sure you inspect the pin box area and definitely replace the whole Mor/Ryde pin box.

travelin2

Make sure you inspect the pin box area and definitely replace the whole Mor/Ryde pin box.

I'm curious to know why the bed rail(s) failed. I don't have that setup as my rails are under the bed bolted, 6 various size bolts on each side, to the side of the frame.
Undersized bolts per product specs? Not hardened grade 8 bolts?
Just asking...

Capt7383

Who installed the hitch rails? Were they bolted to the frame or just the bed?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

jayc

Legendary Member

Wow, glad y'all are okay! We hope that the only damage is to the fiberglass, it's easy to replace. The much more serious issue will be to the frame in the area of the pin box but we will see... It will be interesting to see why the hitch detached-bad/undersized bolts? Time will tell.

You're probably sore this morning, but the main thing is that you're okay. Good luck friends!

Chippendale

Just saw this a few minutes ago, am glad your only damage was to the trailer and truck and not either of you. Hope you have everything back to normal soon.

George

MCTalley

The hitch rails are Reese branded items installed by a third party installer of good reputation. There are frame stiffeners under the bed (see picture) that the rails were bolted to through the bed floor. The boltheads sheared off in the impact. One of the tow truck drivers found one of the bolt heads between the plates of the MorRyde pinbox. I've sent an email to Reese Products customer service regarding the issue. I'll let folks know of any follow-up. I'm sure this would be concerning to anyone with a similar setup.

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%205%2051%2029%20PM-M.jpg

JanAndBill

Sheet metal and things can always be repaired or replaced, that's why we carry insurance. The biggest blessing in this is that you guys weren't injured. Thinking of you as you start the recover process.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Praise the Lord that everyone including the driver and hopefully the passengers of the mini van is ok. Let us know as things develop on repairs or replacement.

MCTalley

We found a replacement truck at a great price. There are $2,000 worth of rebates on it valid until the end of tomorrow (9/30) as well as another $8k off sticker. We're hoping we at least get word on whether or not our current truck is totaled so we can move ahead with that purchase at that price (2016 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW 4x4).

travelin2

We found a replacement truck at a great price. There are $2,000 worth of rebates on it valid until the end of tomorrow (9/30) as well as another $8k off sticker. We're hoping we at least get word on whether or not our current truck is totaled so we can move ahead with that purchase at that price (2016 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW 4x4).

🏻🏻🏻

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

WOW - that's fantastic news. Is the insurance co. waiting for the Ford dealership to declare the truck a loss or .....

DougS

Doug S

Wow, can't believe the mounting for the hitch gave way like that. We understand that everyone is OK thank, God. Best of luck dealing with the insurance companies. Hope all goes well for you.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Wow!! Never a dull moment for you guys. Glad everyone is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.