Prayers for Malcolm & Valerie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippendale

Re: Prayers for Malcolm & Vallerie

When discussing buying the new truck and talking about waiting until State Farm makes a decision, Bette Dick brought up a good point. Should they decide for whatever reason to fix our old truck, do we really want to drive it around pulling our fifth wheel trailer? For that reason, we're pretty set on just going and buying the new truck tomorrow.

We can take any extra money from the old one (whether sold or totaled) and pay down loan balance with it.

That makes good sense, with that kind of damage and as much as you tow, you would always wonder, "did they miss something."

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Malcome, if the frame is bent on these newer trucks....I would not want it back. They are for the most part impossible to get right. Beside's if the van was at fault, your in drivers seat..so to say. Even at that you have no idea as the front frame structure of your BC yet. You might look around in the closet and see if any of the wall panels are pulled loose. If so, the frame might be bent also.

Anyway, just be thankful that you and Val are OK. Their was a pix of a 5er on its top and the TV was on its side on Face book last night. That could real ugly real quick. Said a prayer for you two.

HornedToad

Ok they should be able to process your claim pretty quickly if you are going to use your coverage and have them fight over any liability issue/coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fastest way to settle the claim is with your insurance carrier under collision coverage and let them collect through subrogation from the negligent parties insurance.

However, if they estimate the unit as repairable and not a total loss... and if it is close, you may consider pursuing the claim directly against the other insurance, with a third party claim they should include any diminished value for the frame damage in the settlement, which might just push it over the threshold of being "totaled". Most companies do/try not to offer/pay diminished value on first party collision losses.

Let's hope the other party was not just carrying the state minimum liability limits... if so, and based on the damage in the photo's to the truck and trailer, you could be filing a claim under your under-insured motorist coverage, even though you would be back to dealing with your insurance company the diminished value should still be handled as a third party claim outlined above.

I'm glad to hear everyone is well!!!

Bones

I'm going to think out loud. Maybe I am onto something or I'm completely off. I'm thinking a simple quick test to see if the frame is bent is to use a piece of highly visible string. Tie it to the front part of the frame and pull it back towards the rear and attach at a similar point making sure to pull tight. I'm thinking if the frame is bent you should see it show up against the string.

When you are looking on the interior you should look for compression points in the coach in the areas of the drop portion of the frame. These compression points will look a little like buckling of the wall carpet material and possibly the roof area/ceiling area. I'm trying to think of the dynamics of the crash and how it would translate to your coach

avvidclif

Longer piece of string. Right front to left rear, mark string. Now go left front to right rear, same places opposite sides. The mark better be very close (less than an inch) or the frame is bent/warped and out of square. I would be more worried about the front overhang portion with the fact it bent the hitch. That's what I consider (in my uneducated opinion) to be the weak link in 5th wheel trailers, too easy to bend back. At least no-one was hurt. the rest can be fixed/repaired. Be thankful, the rest of us are.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

The fastest way to settle the claim is with your insurance carrier under collision coverage and let them collect through subrogation from the negligent parties insurance.

However, if they estimate the unit as repairable and not a total loss... and if it is close, you may consider pursuing the claim directly against the other insurance, with a third party claim they should include any diminished value for the frame damage in the settlement, which might just push it over the threshold of being "totaled". Most companies do/try not to offer/pay diminished value on first party collision losses.

Let's hope the other party was not just carrying the state minimum liability limits... if so, and based on the damage in the photo's to the truck and trailer, you could be filing a claim under your under-insured motorist coverage, even though you would be back to dealing with your insurance company the diminished value should still be handled as a third party claim outlined above.

When my wife's car was hit a number of years ago by another car running a red light, The insurance company declared it repairable. I asked about the air bags and sensors being replaced in the front end (they did not deploy for that particular crash) They said they would be fine. However, the next question I asked, caused them to declare it not repairable and totaled out the car.

The question?

Will the insurance company cover any issues for as long as we own the vehicle and are in another accident where the airbags may or may not deploy properly and we suffer an injury because they declared the vehicle repairable?

Their answer was no they cannot guarantee the airbags will deploy properly even if repairs are made so the vehicle is a total loss and issued a settlement check to cover the totaled out vehicle.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Glad you guys are OK!

It always amazes me of some of the stupid stuff other drivers do to us when pulling a trailer.

I know that bus and semi truck drivers go through the same issues.

VKTalley

Mike, interesting note on the insurance companies involved....our company as stated is State Farm and the minivan's Owner's insurance company is also State Farm, per what was written on the police report. :) We will see what happens in this case. They can't "fight" themselves. You mentioned about letting our insurance company pay for our truck first then go after the responsible party, that's what we did several years ago when a lady hit and totaled my brand new Xterra. I was back in a new vehicle a week after the accident.

JohnD

Mike, interesting note on the insurance companies involved....our company as stated is State Farm and the minivan's Owner's insurance company is also State Farm, per what was written on the police report. :) We will see what happens in this case. They can't "fight" themselves. You mentioned about letting our insurance company pay for our truck first then go after the responsible party, that's what we did several years ago when a lady hit and totaled my brand new Xterra. I was back in a new vehicle a week after the accident.

Don't rely on the 'uninsured motorist' law, either.

Back in 2001, I was rear-ended by an uninsured driver who was a Mexican national (ie-illegal immigrant) who had absolutely no insurance.

I was not injured, so I 'refused' medical attention . . . which was my down fall!

Due to the fact that I refused 'medical attention' (remember, I was not hurt in the collision), I lost all coverage (that is what No-Fault Insurance' does to you)!

I learned my lesson . . . next time anything happens, I'm taking that ambulance ride to the hospital and accepting that morphine drip! :p :rolleyes: :cool:

Mmmmm . . . that morphine drip is awesome, by the way . . . (ask me how I know)!

Bones

Glad you guys are OK!

It always amazes me of some of the stupid stuff other drivers do to us when pulling a trailer.

I know that bus and semi truck drivers go through the same issues.
I had a close call on my last trip out. It has prompted me to seriously think about installing a dash cam in the truck because who would have my back when I said this person did this.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Interesting thought Bones. While we were in Europe this summer, I was amazed how many vehicles had dash cams including our rental. When hubby was in Russia, he said just about all vehicles had dash cams. It's crossed our mind but ....

Last edited:

olcoon

Sounds like you guys aren't having the best of luck! Kind of reminds me of Hee Haw, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"!
Glad you came out with only minor injuries!

I've talked to several people who prefer to travel the side/back roads & stay off the interstates. Personally, I prefer the interstates, because I don't have to worry so much about what happened to you guys. With a 4 lane restricted access roads you aren't going to have to worry about someone pulling out in front of you, running a red light/stop sign, etc. Plus you don't have to keep slowing down for the towns you'll go through.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

But Roy by staying on the interstate you have situations like Terry and Carol H are going through. Best thing you can do is be careful and drive defensively. And get a dash cam to help prove liability.

JohnD

Defensive driving . . .

Forget about everyone else . . . drive for yourself!

But Roy by staying on the interstate you have situations like Terry and Carol H are going through. Best thing you can do is be careful and drive defensively. And get a dash cam to help prove liability.

And stay out of the right lane . . .

When going through any city on the interstate highways, I stay in the center or left lane . . .

If anyone wants to pass . . . let them do it in the right lane!

And when driving through a city or town, I don't care about what the driver behind me thinks . . .

I drive so that I can stop if a traffic light changes when I least expect it.

Or when some dumb@$$ turns in front of me while I am going through a green light (and he/she is making a right turn in front of me on a red light).

Bones

Sounds like you guys aren't having the best of luck! Kind of reminds me of Hee Haw, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"!

I've talked to several people who prefer to travel the side/back roads & stay off the interstates. Personally, I prefer the interstates, because I don't have to worry so much about what happened to you guys. With a 4 lane restricted access roads you aren't going to have to worry about someone pulling out in front of you, running a red light/stop sign, etc. Plus you don't have to keep slowing down for the towns you'll go through.
I was on the interstate with the two campers decided they were going to miss their exit and they both slammed on there brakes at 68 MPH causing me to slam on mine and a tractor trailer almost crashing into the rear end of me. Who would have been at fault if I had crashed into the rear end of them. And I was in the far right lane and they were in the right lane also crossing two other lanes to get to the left exit.

kowAlski631

We assume some wingnut will do something totally ignorant and/or unexpected. Unfortunately, we're rarely disappointed. Always told our kids to do the same.

JohnD

I was on the interstate with the two campers decided they were going to miss their exit and they both slammed on there brakes at 68 MPH causing me to slam on mine and a tractor trailer almost crashing into the rear end of me. Who would have been at fault if I had crashed into the rear end of them. And I was in the far right lane and they were in the right lane also crossing two other lanes to get to the left exit.

Like I said above, I always stay in the center or left lane when I have the trailer in tow . . .

Plus, I always leave room for the dumb@$$ manuevers that regular drivers always seem to make when we have the trailer in tow!

RULE OF THUMB: When you have the trailer attached, it is up to YOU to avoid any stupidity that other drivers bring to the road!

End of story . . .

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

We never stay in the left lane. By law, slower traffic stays to the right and we never travel with the speed on the left lane pulling the camper. We are either in the right or center lane if possible.

JohnD

We never stay in the left lane. By law, slower traffic stays to the right and we never travel with the speed on the left lane pulling the camper. We are either in the right or center lane if possible.

That may be true . . . but fighting with the entering traffic from an entrance lane is problematic with an RV while driving though a large city!

As long as you are going the speed limit . . . staying in the left lane is not an issue!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Look at Terry Henderson's post from a week or so ago on I40. Doesn't matter the roadway...wrong place, wrong time can happen to any of us at any time.

I shun the interstates unless it's the only route but hey I'm a country hick that likes to see the country, not read billboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.