Prayers for Malcolm & Valerie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCTalley

Re: Prayers for Malcolm & Vallerie

WOW - that's fantastic news. Is the insurance co. waiting for the Ford dealership to declare the truck a loss or .....

I'm waiting on insurance to send me a list of places to have the truck towed to for the adjuster to come look at it.

Bones

We found a replacement truck at a great price. There are $2,000 worth of rebates on it valid until the end of tomorrow (9/30) as well as another $8k off sticker. We're hoping we at least get word on whether or not our current truck is totaled so we can move ahead with that purchase at that price (2016 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW 4x4).
Get it with the pucks this time.........:)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm waiting on insurance to send me a list of places to have the truck towed to for the adjuster to come look at it.
I don't get that. We had an adjuster come to our house when the wife had a fender bender.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The hitch rails are Reese branded items installed by a third party installer of good reputation. There are frame stiffeners under the bed (see picture) that the rails were bolted to through the bed floor. The boltheads sheared off in the impact. One of the tow truck drivers found one of the bolt heads between the plates of the MorRyde pinbox. I've sent an email to Reese Products customer service regarding the issue. I'll let folks know of any follow-up. I'm sure this would be concerning to anyone with a similar setup.

Photo%20Sep%2028%2C%205%2051%2029%20PM-M.jpg

I have a very similar Reese setup, but at least four of the bolts in each rail go thru the bed and are attached thru the rail supports that are bolted to the frame. Looks like the installer didn't use all the bolts that came with the kit. Glad y'all are both OK!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Very glad you guys weren't seriously injured!

As a few others have said, the fact that the bed rail bolts completely sheared, really has me thinking. Many of us have that same hitch configuration.

Good luck with a speedy resolution to all repairs. Trace

ncc1701e

Valerie....are you guys still stuck in Evansville? You know we are just down the road in sebree and i have a second vehicle if you need to use it. Call: 270 635 3693

Tom

MCTalley

Get it with the pucks this time.........:)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get that. We had an adjuster come to our house when the wife had a fender bender.

Looking for the best deal we can get. If it doesn't come with pucks, we'll just have it retrofitted again.

Actually, insurance is having the truck towed to their own facility to do the claims inspection. We don't have a house to tow it to and it definitely is not driveable.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a very similar Reese setup, but at least four of the bolts in each rail go thru the bed and are attached thru the rail supports that are bolted to the frame. Looks like the installer didn't use all the bolts that came with the kit. Glad y'all are both OK!

Ours had five in each rail - four through the frame stiffener and one through the center front of each rail. Note that the center fifth one just goes through the pickup bed and nothing else. Our front rail stayed in place. The back one pulled out, shearing the four end bolts and pulling the center one through the bed floor.

VKTalley

If I may ask, how did you know Lou and Bette were close by to assist in your time of need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyly and Nancy,
I knew that Bette and Lou are originally from the Evansville area, they still have family here and I knew they were planning on visiting here but I was not sure they were still here when I called Bette. Bette and I are friends on FaceBook so I see where they are heading sometimes over there, especially when their grand"babies" are involved. :)

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Prayers for Malcolm & Vallerie

Lyly and Nancy,
I knew that Bette and Lou are originally from the Evansville area, they still have family here and I knew they were planning on visiting here but I was not sure they were still here when I called Bette. Bette and I are friends on FaceBook so I see where they are heading sometimes over there, especially when their grand"babies" are involved. :)

Yes...we (Nancy has FB) follow their adventures as well! Our short friendship has determined they are great people as are the rest of the Heartland family.

Lyle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Ours had five in each rail - four through the frame stiffener and one through the center front of each rail. Note that the center fifth one just goes through the pickup bed and nothing else. Our front rail stayed in place. The back one pulled out, shearing the four end bolts and pulling the center one through the bed floor.

I'd be looking for the bolt heads to ensure they were grade 8's and not ones less. Regardless I'd be having a conversation with Reese and the third party installer you mentioned.
Scary the hitch broke loose. The situation could have been much much worse had everything left the truck box!!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

We found a replacement truck at a great price. There are $2,000 worth of rebates on it valid until the end of tomorrow (9/30) as well as another $8k off sticker. We're hoping we at least get word on whether or not our current truck is totaled so we can move ahead with that purchase at that price (2016 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW 4x4).

Wow sounds like a great upgrade. What color? Good luck on getting a fast turnaround on your truck. Who are you insured with?

'Lil Guy'

So glad to hear that everyone involved is OK. This looks like every RV owners nightmare. Also hope that getting everything replaced and repaired is as stress free as possible. That accident looks like it could have been a lot worse.
Again, glad and relieved that everyone is alright.

MTPockets

Really glad you guys are OK... This got me thinking about the "what if's" , being full time, doing without the rig for repairs, hidden damage, etc... Insurance yes, but what pops to mind is did the shock dislodge or weaken any of the mountings for water heater, furnace, holding tanks, A/C's, etc etc etc.... I know you're on it and hope it all goes well for you.

danemayer

Terry raises a good point. The forces involved when you hit what is essentially a stationary object are pretty strong. If your truck is totaled, it's not surprising to me that the hitch mounting bolts sheared. That same impact force was transmitted to every part of the RV. You'll want to inspect for cracks in the sidewalls that might indicate movement of the sidewall framing.

VKTalley

Yes...we (Nancy has FB) follow their adventures as well! Our short friendship has determined they are great people as are the rest of the Heartland family.

Lyle

Lyle, they are great people as with all the rest of the Heartland family. We are so thankful all our wonderful friends!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow sounds like a great upgrade. What color? Good luck on getting a fast turnaround on your truck. Who are you insured with?

Andy, the truck is insured with State Farm.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Lyle, they are great people as with all the rest of the Heartland family. We are so thankful all our wonderful friends!

- - - Updated - - -

Andy, the truck is insured with State Farm.

Ok they should be able to process your claim pretty quickly if you are going to use your coverage and have them fight over any liability issue/coverage.

MCTalley

When discussing buying the new truck and talking about waiting until State Farm makes a decision, Bette Dick brought up a good point. Should they decide for whatever reason to fix our old truck, do we really want to drive it around pulling our fifth wheel trailer? For that reason, we're pretty set on just going and buying the new truck tomorrow.

We can take any extra money from the old one (whether sold or totaled) and pay down loan balance with it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Man that color is nice, look really good with a Landmark (red accent) behind it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.