Prayers for Malcolm & Valerie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GETnBYE

Re: Prayers for Malcolm & Vallerie

So glad to hear that all are safe. Hope all goes easy with insurance dealings.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Valerie & Malcolm - How are things going?

JJnVA

Valerie & Malcolm, so sorry to learn about your accident but relieved to hear you did not get injured!
Best of luck with repairs on your Big Country and getting on the road again with that new truck!

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired

Valerie and Malcolm, so thankful you are both OK. Hope that you get proper compensation from insurance company and that you get a thorough evaluation on the BC damage. You may have found minimal movement inside the trailer because the framing absorbed the impact forces, which would not bode well. Best of luck on your new Super Duty Ford, it looks a beauty. Hope that we get to see you soon.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

They are all OK, and Lou and Bette Dick are nearby to help.

Glad to hear all are OK and glad to see that Lou and Bette were close by to assist with incident.

Just as a footnote . . .

If anyone here ever finds themselves in a bind in the state of Colorado, don't hesitate to contact me!

I'll do whatever I can, including hooking you up at my house (north Denver metro area)!

That is what Heartland friends are for . . .

VKTalley

Valerie & Malcolm - How are things going?

Evening update, we are back in Evansville with a brand new 2016 F-350 dually 4x4. Still waiting on a call from the trailer insurance adjuster. Will be calling them tomorrow.

MCTalley

We got back this evening from picking up the new truck. Fairly hassle-free experience at Glenn Ford Lincoln in Nicholasville (Lexington area), Kentucky. Only differences noted from the 2013 (other than obvious things like King Ranch, 4x4, etc.) were that they've changed the way the high-beams are activated (push the stalk instead of pulling back) and a separate exhaust brake button on the dash. Oh, and acceleration.

The only feature lost between this truck and the previous one is the integrated step in the tailgate. I think we'll survive.

Other updates:
1. Our trailer insurer has a claim going and gave me a number to call if we hadn't heard from an adjuster by mid-day today. We hadn't, so I called on the way to go pick up the truck. The number came back as not in service. I suspect I wrote it down wrong. Will call them again in the morning.

Our original destination for this weekend was a family get-together in North Carolina. We think we'll drive out there and back (just the truck, obviously, no trailer) now that we have the new truck (get those break-in miles out of the way). Once back in town, we'll schedule to have the adjuster come out and inspect. This time frame means we're definitely not going to make the KY rally with a trailer. We might swing by one day to visit or something, depending.

2. Just checked State Farm website and there are now two claims in process. One is the one we called in, the other is in response to the other party's filing. Both just show "in progress".

3. We've been trailer shopping online, so we can be prepared to buy if needed. We've got a couple good looking prospects and have already been in touch with one dealer. I won't say more at this time because this area is so preliminary and fluid. There is no doubt, however, that if we do buy it will be a Heartland product.

NewTruck.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

We got back this evening from picking up the new truck. Fairly hassle-free experience at Glenn Ford Lincoln in Nicholasville (Lexington area), Kentucky. Only differences noted from the 2013 (other than obvious things like King Ranch, 4x4, etc.) were that they've changed the way the high-beams are activated (push the stalk instead of pulling back) and a separate exhaust brake button on the dash. Oh, and acceleration.

The only feature lost between this truck and the previous one is the integrated step in the tailgate. I think we'll survive.

Other updates:
1. Our trailer insurer has a claim going and gave me a number to call if we hadn't heard from an adjuster by mid-day today. We hadn't, so I called on the way to go pick up the truck. The number came back as not in service. I suspect I wrote it down wrong. Will call them again in the morning.

Our original destination for this weekend was a family get-together in North Carolina. We think we'll drive out there and back (just the truck, obviously, no trailer) now that we have the new truck (get those break-in miles out of the way). Once back in town, we'll schedule to have the adjuster come out and inspect. This time frame means we're definitely not going to make the KY rally with a trailer. We might swing by one day to visit or something, depending.

2. Just checked State Farm website and there are now two claims in process. One is the one we called in, the other is in response to the other party's filing. Both just show "in progress".

3. We've been trailer shopping online, so we can be prepared to buy if needed. We've got a couple good looking prospects and have already been in touch with one dealer. I won't say more at this time because this area is so preliminary and fluid. There is no doubt, however, that if we do buy it will be a Heartland product.

View attachment 40529

Hope everything works out for you guys . . .

I know this can be a hassle, but I like to think that everything happens for a reason!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

So glad to hear things are beginning to work out for you all. I know how much of a hassle it can be. BUT most important is the fact that you are both OK, abeit a little shaken. Glad to see you are already planning a couple of trips even it they are w/o your 2nd home.

MCTalley

Today's update:

Talked to the claims person for the trailer. Found out they had given me to the wrong office originally (thus the disconnected number). This claims person's office is about 400 miles away up in Ohio. She doesn't have any adjusters nearby and no recommended adjusters on her list within a reasonable distance. She asked if we could check around shops in the area to see if any do bodywork on RVs and she will go with their estimator.

Bette Dick called the RV dealer a couple miles up the road and left a message to call Val back. We ended up just driving up to the dealer on the way to lunch and talked to them personally. The estimator saw the wreck on his way home Monday and knew we had a Big Country. I described the front-end damage and he said it already sounds like he might declare it unrepairable, but he will look at it officially. As a matter of fact, instead of having us get it towed to the shop, he will come out to the campground and give it an initial assessment. We called insurance back and gave them the shop's information.

After lunch, we packed up and headed out for our North Carolina trip. Lou and Bette are going to take care of our cat through Monday (the rig is still parked at the same place they are staying) when they'll head out to the KY rally. We'll be back right after that and will schedule the estimator to come out and look over the rig. We are stopping on the way back from NC to look at one potential replacement candidate. More on that if it looks good.

It's beginning to look like by the end of next week we'll be packing up all our belongings into a U-Haul trailer or truck and leaving the trailer behind.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Baby steps, baby steps but looks like ya'll are moving forward. Please keep us updated and travel safe, especially with all the 1 in a 1000 year storm moving thru SC/NC.

Bones

Today's update:

Talked to the claims person for the trailer. Found out they had given me to the wrong office originally (thus the disconnected number). This claims person's office is about 400 miles away up in Ohio. She doesn't have any adjusters nearby and no recommended adjusters on her list within a reasonable distance. She asked if we could check around shops in the area to see if any do bodywork on RVs and she will go with their estimator.

Bette Dick called the RV dealer a couple miles up the road and left a message to call Val back. We ended up just driving up to the dealer on the way to lunch and talked to them personally. The estimator saw the wreck on his way home Monday and knew we had a Big Country. I described the front-end damage and he said it already sounds like he might declare it unrepairable, but he will look at it officially. As a matter of fact, instead of having us get it towed to the shop, he will come out to the campground and give it an initial assessment. We called insurance back and gave them the shop's information.

After lunch, we packed up and headed out for our North Carolina trip. Lou and Bette are going to take care of our cat through Monday (the rig is still parked at the same place they are staying) when they'll head out to the KY rally. We'll be back right after that and will schedule the estimator to come out and look over the rig. We are stopping on the way back from NC to look at one potential replacement candidate. More on that if it looks good.

It's beginning to look like by the end of next week we'll be packing up all our belongings into a U-Haul trailer or truck and leaving the trailer behind.
Well I don't know if that is good news or bad news but just news that sucks. In the long run it may be best if they just wreck your trailer and you can start new because who knows what will creep up later down the line. Are you guys full time?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Well I don't know if that is good news or bad news but just news that sucks. In the long run it may be best if they just wreck your trailer and you can start new because who knows what will creep up later down the line. Are you guys full time?

Yes, check out their great blog:

http://travelingtalleys.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8amps

So sorry to hear this Malcolm and Val! Everything sure can change in an instant. Glad you're both ok (and kitty too).

Status
Not open for further replies.