Pride Cometh Before the "Fall"

Boca_Shuffles

Put our Big Horn into winter storage last week for a few months.

I put it at the end of line as directed. Turns out that my location was next to a motorhome that was parked at an angle different than the other vehicles. Put down boards for under the tires. I parked parallel to him (or her).

After set up, I just didn't like the fact that all the other vehicles were parallel and we two were not. There was also the fact that the motorhome had all those "other Michigan school" decals all over it. (Two of our kids went to that other school). So I decided that just because he (or she) couldn't park correctly, that was no reason that I had to park poorly also.

So I decided to rehook up and park properly. I backed the trunk up into the hitch and raised the legs. I then proceeded to back up.

You guessed it. The BH hit the bed of the truck. In my haste I hadn't released the locking mechanism on my hitch and the unit never locked properly. (Haste makes Waste).

I guess I showed that other guy.

Turns our that the tailgate was not too badly damaged. A GMC tailgate has access ports under the plastic protector. I took off the tailgate and pounded out the dent using a 5 lb. hammer. I re-installed the plastic liner and the dent is hardly noticeable.

I repaired the side rails using a hydraulic jack designed for body repair. All appears to be okay.

Now I hope I didn't damage the BH. I'll find out next year.

Morale of the story: Don't deviate from your standard procedures when hooking up or unhooking.

GOTTOYS

I agree. I have a procedure that I follow and I always do it in the same order. I won't let anyone "help" or I get distracted and may forget something. Most important I ALWAYS get out and check that my kingpin and latched properly, even after hearing that distinct "clank" that my Pull-Rite latch makes when hooking up and I still give it a test tug after looking at it. I also check my hitch to make sure someone didn't pull my latch lever while I was away from my rig at a fuel stop or rest area. Even after all that...I'm sure my day is coming, it's just a matter of time....Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I painted the jaws on my hitch so I can tell visually that they've closed around the pin. And once the pin is locked in, I put a padlock on the pull handle. Won't pull without the padlock on.

jpajax

This is the cheapest insurance you could ever buy.

Attachments

• 0729101259b.jpg
    0729101259b.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 67