Proud new Heartland owners!

1_oldgoat

Hey Dave,
Thanks, i downloaded the electric slide manual b4 however there are no stickers anywhere i can find showing access, and the manual leaves a little to be desired in descriptions for finding it.
We sold our last rv and bought the Gateway after we had a slide motor quit working, i had to open the under belly to get to the motor in it, there was not an access panel cutout under so i had to cut one myself, looking at the belly on the Gateway it appears to be the same and i do not want to cut this as we are taking off in a few days.
I am keeping my fingers crossed the dealership has an idea how to adjust it when we return home, they are quite a ways from us so i hate having to drive so far to get repairs if i can do them myself, but i may have to for this one unfortunatly.

1_oldgoat

The slide i am having trouble with appears to be rack and pinion so don't think there are any sprockets chains or cables to adjust.....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure that is not a hydraulic slide?
If it is rack and pinion, there are adjustments.

Peace
Dave

1_oldgoat

Dave,
Yes its rack and pinion, no hydraulics, each slide has thier own switchs to open and no fluid tanks anywhere. The salesman thought it was hydraulic as well but after looking with me decided he was wrong. I have seen some other posts saying that certain Gafeway moxels had hydraulic slides buy my 3500 RE isn't one of them. The tech from the dealership mentioned adjusting a bell?? but then said that the slide wouldn't leak so i shouldn't worry about it.
Its not correct, i know that, just waiting on dealership to get advise from the rep from Gateway on a few other things that the tech and salesman had no answers for me on.so i am going to add slide adjustment as well, i can't find any information on it elsewhede either.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Welcome to the Heartland Family. As Ziggy said, please check out the forum and the Rally posts. We hope to see you this summer at one or at both our Rallies!

Rod Ditrich
Washington Chapter Leader

greg7140

Oldgoat...if no one else has answered it yet..that "unmarked" switch is your Tank Heaters. And from what I have read and understand, unlike one of my other SOB I have had with tank heaters they do not have an ambient air temp switch...so if you turn them on they "heat" whether the temp outside is 20 degrees or 100 degrees. (My last RV with tank heaters would not energize unless ambient air was less than 40 degrees). Anyway, there have been reports of tank damage if tanks are empty and the switch is turned on...

I am not sure why Heartland does not label this switch...even the blanking plate in the switch console says "ceiling fan". Just so my DW knows what the switch is for I just made a label with a label maker and stuck it above the switch.

I just looked at the new 2014 Gateway 3650 at our local dealer and they still haven't label the tank heater switch? Sort of strange, but I guess as long as the dealer tells the customer what that switch is for it really isn't a big deal...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Oldgoat...if no one else has answered it yet..that "unmarked" switch is your Tank Heaters.

Our old 1978 Coachman Cadet 24 TT had an unmarked light switch over the kitchen sink that didn't do anything and I never could figure out what it was for.

I even tried an online search to no avail . . .

Of course, when we bought it the owners manual was long gone.

I always just left the switch off . . . :confused:

When visitors asked what it was for . . . I always told them it was for the invisible garbage disposal!

Campout-campsite-Dscf0069.jpg

1_oldgoat

Greg,
Thanks for the reply, the salesman and tech didn't know what it was for either, i sent a pic to the salesman and he was going to ask his rep. Did you get an owners manual with your Gateway?? We didn't, so not sure Heartland has one published as yet.
I see you are retired Navy, i was an airdale, stationed on Whidby Island with VA 52, made a couple west pacs on the Kittyhawk. Long time ago...anyway thanks again
Marcus

greg7140

i got the blue pouch with all the product manuals and warranty cards, my dealer also gave me spiral bound Heartland Owners manual...but it was the same one I found on the Heartland Website earlier and had looked over online. It also is not "Gateway" specific...but more for the entire line of Heartland Products.

I hope this link works for you: http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=21

Yeah...retired Navy Submariner, know exactly where NAS Whidbey Island is...was stationed for a few years back in the 80s at the NSB Bangor in Bangor, WA and use to go to Whidbey Island to visit a friend that was a crew chief on a P3 at the time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
i got the blue pouch with all the product manuals and warranty cards, my dealer also gave me spiral bound Heartland Owners manual...

I hope this link works for you: http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=21

HL does not produce model-specific manuals. Things change too often for them to be specific. The manual mentioned above is important to read, though, because there are maintenance and safety items you need to be aware of to keep the warranty.

Visit the tools section here on the forum for more specific, owner-produced manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg7140

Marcus...just so we are talking Apples to Apples...this is the switch you are talking about right? (Circled in Red)

Tank Heater.jpg

1_oldgoat

Greg,
That is correct, my slide switchs are across the top of the control panel but thats the one switch that wasn't marked. The llight comes on when switched on so i knew it was for something, just couldn't figure out what!!
Thank you again for the help

1_oldgoat

Hey Greg,
Thanks so much for the help, i hope i am not being to much of a problem!! We are headed to Umatilla Oregon for turkey day and had plannex on driving up and staying on the base there at Whidby, the rv park looks amazing and we can get a spot this time of year tbere.
I was stationed there from 80-83 when we weren't on cruise.
Thanks again
I did get the Heartland warrenty book with lug nut torque info and a few other safty items so i guess thats all there is for a manual

1_oldgoat

Erica,
Thank you for the information, i did get the warrenty book with safty info, i just thought there would be an owners manual as well, thank you for clarifying that mystery up!!
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Rod,
Thank you for thr welcome, my wife and i spend most summers in the Spokane area taking care of my mother in law so wd will be there in july for the rally. I'll look at the info and book a space now if possible.
Thanks again
Marcus & Shelli Morgan

greg7140

My gosh...what is in Umatilla? My twilight tour I worked at Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and headed up a team that monitored destruction of the US Chemical Weapons and one of the places I stayed quite often was the Umatilla Army Depot. Not much there as I remember...Although I do remember going to a bar one night with some of my soldiers and there was a lady shooting pool that had "Copenhagen Angel" tattooed on her chest and was using the biggest "spittoon" I had even seen! :) Great Memories! :angel:

1_oldgoat

Greg,
They are tearing down in incinerators on the base now, my brother worked as an instriment tech for all the chemical burns on the depot as well. Small world!! There is a nice marina/rv park on the columbia river we stay at quite often, there are only 26-30 spots, a dozen of them.are pull thrus, so not packed in by any means, nice hosts, clean and quiet. There isn't alot there for sure but when salmon are running it gets a bit more activity.
I saw where you had problems with your slide and floor, and chair backs?? I noticed some marks on the livinvg room floor so will keep an eye on it, what caused the chair issues??
We are leaving tomorrow morning so will have a list of repairs when we return in a few weeks.
Thanks again
Marcus

greg7140

Yeah...small world for sure! I am sure not many people outside northern Oregon have every heard of Umatilla!

I am not sure I like this "rubber" feeling floor yet. Where ever you have anything heavy sitting (like the island casters or slide rollers) there is an indentation that does after a while go away...

The recliner backs of mine and at least 1 other owner have punctures/ tears from being pushed up against the anchor points for the Blind Strings. At least in my case this had to be from the transit from factory to dealer. I only live 8 miles from my dealer and we found the issue the same day we picked up the camper as my DW immediately started "spring cleaning" when we got it home even before we put all our stuff in it. She came and found me in the barn with a look on her face that I could tell she was upset about something!

1_oldgoat

Thanks Greg,
I appreciate the help and will look at furniture backs and make sure they are all good. I noticed some marks on the floor from the slide rollers when i did my walk thru but they are gone now?? Must be the flooring returning to shape.
We are heading out in the morning, wrong direction, north instead of south but it will be nice to get away for a few weeks. We dix a night in the new rv to see if the memory foam matress would be good and have decided to change it out for a more suitable matress. We kepth one we had bought from our 2010 cougar and i am glad we did as neither my wife or myself slept well at all on the factorys.
As far as comfort everything else was great, temps were well below freezing but we were nice and cozy inside, thank goodness. I believe this is going to be a great trailer for our needs.
Thanks again for the help and humor!! Might meet you on the road some day.
Marcus