QC Discussion - General Dis-satisfaction

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I know what is very helpful for the issues and problems we all face is to try to only post replys if you have a solution or experience the same issue and have had different outcomes. I know I have address a number of issue and concerns with my coach. When items come up that I have experience, I try to provide a fix or solution. If we all provided this type of information, this forum will be a great library everyone to use.

Jim, I would suggest that you add another area in the forum were solutions can be posted. Maybe one just for the factory to post correction or fixes they have installed on the newer coaches. We can all reference these for our older coaches. Also, I am sure it would help the dealers solve problems and issues.

svd

Ditto Jim!
There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forum, to help us correct these problems and make improvements! Thanks

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
A major reason that we decided on our BigHorn was this forum. We were impressed with the information (good and bad) shared here. Additionally, we were pleased that the factory read the postings and provided feedback to owners. This is a great asset to Heartland owners. Thanks and keep up your good work.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
trouble shooting guide

Maybe someone can develop a trouble shooting guide with all the info we all have learned and collected over the past year or so. What I am talking about is say the wet carpet issue: Under the problem heading - "wet carpet around the slides" Under the cause heading - " rain entering during traveling" Under the solution heading - " see factory service bulletin #__ , "D" shape rubber seal replacement kit. Okay people, what do you think about this idea?

ct0218

Ditto on what Ken and Jane just posted. Gail and I feel the same way--this forum swayed us to Heartland. I have gained a lot from it and hope to pass on to others any help that I can. Even the problems people have have been helpful to me, giving me a chance to head off a couple of potential problems and look out for other possibilities. That is a great advantage, thanks to everyone and you, Jim, for your help and input. Whenever I come across something that needs attention, or shouldn't have gotten out of the door, I think of Ford, GM and Chrysler. They have been doing their thing for a long, long time and they still make a lot of good vehicles and a few problem ones. And some stupid things are done the same year after year!

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Qc

I really like DE'S idea about putting all of the fixes in folders so they are easy to find:D

Midastouch

troubleshooting guide

I think it's a great idea ... I feel fortunate to be involved in this forum and will be checking things during my PDI that I would have never thought about! It's a good feeling to know I've got fellow Heartland owners to turn to .... Jim .... you're doing a heck of a job! Thanks to everyone here!;)

jbeletti

Diesel Engineer,

I like your idea. I'll think about how we can do this. Email me when you get a chance so we can discuss further. Especially if you ar willing to put some time in on it. Perhaps a couple more users can step forward to help with this project. Thanks.

Thanks,

Jim

davebennington

Jim,

Maybe you can borrow a term from the auto industery IE... TSB.(Technical Service Bulletin) that way under that heading different items can be addressed as/when they occur.

The factory can post any changes that they have improved and an owner can also post a suggestion they he/she has found to work in solving a problem.

Dave:)

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Here's the fix

Bighorn3600,
The fix for the sticking Fantastic Fan is replacing the seal that the vent cover closes onto and possibly the vent cover itself. The problem explained to us at the 2006 Rally was that the vendor who supplied the seal accidently used a petroleum based mold release in production of the seal. In-turn, that petroleum based release agent reacted with the vent cover and causes them to stick together. The Fantastic Fan representative suggested that we call them for a seal replacement and possibly a cover replacement. At the time of the Rally, these replacement parts were free of charge. I would bet this is still true but you should make sure to ask when you call them.

p.s. Welcome to the Heartland Forum

Mark

Thanks Mark I did call fantastic vent rep and they were great to talk to. They are sending me a repair kit for both my fans at no cost. Great to find a company that responds to problems like fantastic vent.

Thank yo again:D

Forrest Fetherolf

Problems- Problems- Problems

I recently pulled my 3600RL from LA, CA to Elkhart, IN hoping go get professional repairs by the factory. I was sent to Recreational Specialties for warranty repair work, as the factory does not do repair work. I spent 2 days for slide adjustments, and other repairs. Upon returning to CA, I encountered a heavy rain storm in Oklahoma, the carpet was soaked. One would think that during my repairs the D-seal fix would have been mentioned by the factory (Chris DeLaPaz) or the repair facility. I only found out about the D-seal in Amarillo from another 3600RL owner.
I also toured the Bighorn facility and now I can understand why owners have problems. They build 7 units per day. Wham-bam! I have spent many hours with tools in hand fixing things that should have been done at the factory. Things do break, but things not done right at the factory or dealership (PDI -predelivery inspection) is not an acceptable excuse. I now have another appointment in CA for slide adjustment and the D-seal.

tdharley

Thats funny about the sticking Fantastic fan solution.

I spoke to my area rep (Jim Fenner) at Heartland 2 weeks ago about the D seal & fan. He promplty sent me out the new seal and told me that the fix for the Fantastic seal was to trim off about a 1/4" of the bottom of the cover. He said that they inadvertenly put too much sealent on the flange were the roof meets the cover ????????

Its been too cold so I have not been out there to look but I will soon. I did in fact tell him about the wrong spray being used by the manufactuer and he did not know anything about that

Things that make you go ..........Hmmmmm?????

svd

D-Seals

You know, this D-seal thing is really starting to tick me off!! When I talked to my regional rep from Heartland he told me no seals would be sent until I had a problem, like the wet carpet thing, even though I can see light out the corners and can stick my finger out the opening. I haven't pulled in rain, but I bet water will come in. I already measured the slides, the adjustment looks fine.

I think many of us are more than capable of installing these seals, I have already done most of the other fixes, including fabricating and installing fresh water tank supports. I am not going to wait for wet carpets like others have had and then take the unit back 3 hours to the dealer. The diesel fuel to tow will probably cost more than the seals.

Trap

After lurking around here for 10 months and private contact with numerous members all that I can say, is that were going to get a Hitch Hiker II LS. I can't bring myself to spend close to 50k and buy all of the Problems that the Bighorn's have and what appears to me as a lack of proper dealer and factory support.

Trap

Mels Musty Music

Trap - Sorry to hear about your decision on the Hitchiker II. Don't think you'll find that the typical BH problems will go away by purchasing a HH but to each his own.
We had a Montana prior to our Bighorn and guess what? the slides leaked (until the seals were replaced) the axles were defective and had to be replaced along with all 4 tires. Oh yeah, the fantasic fan stuck closed all the time too among most of the other problems that are mentioned here.
Had the Hitchiker on the top of our list for replacing the Montana but couldn't see paying their price for what I felt was similiar to or less quality than the Bighorn and have to say I've been very happy with my decision.
Not sure what Bighorn you have been lookig at but I suggest you get a price from Lakeshore RV in Micigan. They saved me over $12,000 on the BH I bought versus the best price I could get on a comparable HH.
Just wanted to let you know that there are alot of very satisfied Heartland owners out here. Sometimes we don't speak up enough.
Good luck on your next 5th wheel.
Hank

billd

Trap,

You will always hear more complaints that complements on any product. I own a 2007 Bighorn and I am glad I did. I looked at RV's it seems like forever before I bought one.

I have not heard of one manufacture not to have a problem. This forum has allowed owners a place to ask questions and vent frustrations. I have seen this same frustration at a lot of the owners websites (Keystone, Cedar Creek, etc).

Good luck on your choice of 5th wheel.

Bill