Question - Does this switch cut power from battery during storage?

richiek

Hello all:

This is probably a stupid question but I can't find the purpose of this switch in any of my owners materials so I thought that I'd ask the experts. We own a 2014 Road Warrior 425 and I have a switch in the garage area that has an image of a battery on it and is red in color. Does this switch disengage the battery while it's being stored in order to keep it from running down? I'm assuming that I should turn this while it's being stored this winter. I've attached a picture of it below. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rich
jpg.gif

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 153

Power-Stroke

Rich-
I have the same battery disconnect switch located in my basement and yes, it does disconnect the battery. I also have one of these switches (in the battery compartment) that disconnects the inverter. I've not seen one located in the garage. Easy enough to figure out... Switch it off (while disconnected from shore power) and see if any 12 volt stuff works.
Jay

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It looks like a battery disconnect. Even with it turned off, your battery still will dis-charge some. I would take the battery home and keep it on a trickle charger. Batteries do not like cold weather.

GregP

I agree with Bob, if you are storing the unit over-winter...take the battery out and store it in a cool (not cold) place. I have always stored deep cycle batteries in the winter in my basement and charge them periodically to keep them up. Also, do not store the batteries sitting directly on concrete. I place mine on sheets of plywood to insulate them from direct contact with the basement floor.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hello all:

This is probably a stupid question but I can't find the purpose of this switch in any of my owners materials so I thought that I'd ask the experts. We own a 2014 Road Warrior 425 and I have a switch in the garage area that has an image of a battery on it and is red in color. Does this switch disengage the battery while it's being stored in order to keep it from running down? I'm assuming that I should turn this while it's being stored this winter. I've attached a picture of it below. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rich
jpg.gif

It appears someone added that switch. The holes are too rough for a factory install.

It appears someone added that switch. The holes are too rough for a factory install.
I have the same battery disconnect switch in my 2015 4100 Cyclone, and I am the original owner. I use it every time I store my camper but I also keep a battery tender on my batteries.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have the same battery disconnect switch in my 2015 4100 Cyclone, and I am the original owner. I use it every time I store my camper but I also keep a battery tender on my batteries.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, but he said it was in the garage. All the original switches I've ever seen were in the Battery Compartment.

danemayer

More to the point, what's the distance from the battery to that switch in the garage. The battery cutoff wiring uses heavy gauge wire. There's typically a short run from the battery terminal to the switch, and another short run to the 12V circuit breaker buss bar. Why in the world would any manufacturer want to add 30 or 40 feet of heavy gauge wire to put the cutoff switch in the garage? What would be the advantage that would justify the considerable extra cost.

Much more likely that it was added for some other purpose.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
More to the point, what's the distance from the battery to that switch in the garage. The battery cutoff wiring uses heavy gauge wire. There's typically a short run from the battery terminal to the switch, and another short run to the 12V circuit breaker buss bar. Why in the world would any manufacturer want to add 30 or 40 feet of heavy gauge wire to put the cutoff switch in the garage? What would be the advantage that would justify the considerable extra cost.

Much more likely that it was added for some other purpose.

I wonder if maybe there are some rear batteries in his trailer for some other use :confused:

Kmondak

Ken Martin
I
I agree with Bob, if you are storing the unit over-winter...take the battery out and store it in a cool (not cold) place. I have always stored deep cycle batteries in the winter in my basement and charge them periodically to keep them up. Also, do not store the batteries sitting directly on concrete. I place mine on sheets of plywood to insulate them from direct contact with the basement floor.

Looks like an old thread, but I agree with Bob and Greg; If you are storing in cold climate. Remove the batteries they will last much longer. Having said that tho, Rocky Mountain RV in Butte, MT did tell us to never disconnect the batteries and put 110V power to our Wilderness trailer as the 12V convert/inverter ?? needs a load on it or you could burn it out. I considered a battery trickle charger, but it can get mighty cold up here in Northern Montana and I don't know if just a charge would protect them. Anyone else heard that?

Miltp920

I have the same switch in my basement, right on the other side of the battery compartment. I also have the same black basement wall cover. I think he said garage, but he meant basement.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hello all:

Rich
jpg.gif

That is the battery cut-off switch. Cuts on/off battery power to the coach.