Question - Fresh water tank drains.

dbbls59

I have a 2012 Big Country 4350 TS. Water is getting into the underbelly. The carpet in the storage bay near the UDC is also getting wet. When filling the fresh water tank, water will flow out the drain behind the wheels on the drivers side. There is an identical drain on the passenger side but water never comes out of it. The dealer told me that it is a secondary drain that is positioned higher than the drivers side. The water has to be from the water system because it hadn't rained here for three months, until three days ago. I need help diagnosing this because my dealer is not finding anything. This is the same dealer that told me that the bedroom slide function was not available on the remote. This was after I had been using for three weeks and it had stopped working.

danemayer

If this happens while hooked up to city water, the check valve in the water pump may not be working properly. It's supposed to allow water to flow through the pump in 1 direction only. If it gets stuck partially open, the city water will flow backwards through the pump into the fresh tank causing it to fill and overflow.

You can test for this by draining your fresh tank partially (or completely) and seeing if it refills by itself.

I've attached a simple diagram that illustrates that illustrates what can happen.

One of these will solve the problem until you can get the pump replaced.

Attachments

• checkvalvefailure.pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 24

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am assuming that you have a 3450 not a 4350. Is this correct?
If there is water leaking in the area of the UDC I would remove the basement wall and have a look around.
There may just be a loose fitting.
With the city water hooked up and turned on look closely at all the fittings. If some of them can be tightened by hand check if they are indeed tight. Only hand tight, they are plastic.
You might also use some tissue paper around the fittings. This is an easy way to find slow leaks.
When removing the basement wall there are three or four screws in the UDC compartment. The rest you will find in the wall.
Come back and let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

dbbls59

Yes Dave, it is a 3450TS. Trying to go with my memory and it is not too good anymore. The water in the underbelly happens when I fill the fresh water tank. It is not backflow through the water pump. The wet floor in the storage bay is when I am hooked to city water. It may very well get wet when using the pump too, just haven't used the pump that much.

usnthedog

I don't know what your layout is but like Cookie said check your connection. Not just the ones in the belly but those under the sinks and out side shower. Most of mine were 'not tight' and when they leak the run down the hole for the drain line and end up in the basement. The tissue around the fitting is a good idea, too.

Jeff