Question: Slide-out Awnings, Yeah or Nay?

Jeeper

Had the 22RBK out for a week :D, just got home :(. We were parked under some tall pine trees in northern Indiana, and before closing up, I always try and sweep the top of the slideout off of any accumulated "stuff". The little step ladder I carry with me barely gets me up high enough to do a good job, so I am considering slide out awning covers...but, before I make that purchase, thought I would ask the brain trust for your thoughts/experiences with them.

And yes, the week's camping was outstanding. The wife and I are more confident than ever we made the right choice in our camper.

camper front.jpg

camper rear.jpg

thanks!

Kbvols

Nice looking rig. Always seems to be a lot of debate on slide out awnings. Some love some would not have. Pro's and Con's like everything. Good luck in your decision. Where were you camping in Northern IN? Campground looks familiar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I will never be without slide toppers, just got done replacing the material on two of mine.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have had ours for 10 years and would not be without them. Just remember not to stand under them if it has rained ? I pulled in the sides and Kenny was standing by the big side oops he did get wet ! LOL!

pegmikef

Would not do without them. In three years and just under thirty thousand miles I have only had to pull my slides in once (in Oklahoma) as the wind was so strong it was actually lifting the kitchen slide an inch or two when it gusted. toppers did fine before I got the slides in.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We were in Nebraska a couple of weeks ago. We had gone out to a couple of museums. When we came back there were a couple of motor homes and some fivers including a Redwood close to us that all had ripped or completely destroyed slide awnings. The Redwood also lost their main awning. One of the owners said one heck of a storm came through. One of the motor coaches was a Griffin and they even had some hardware pull completely out of the side. We had considered getting them installed on ours until we saw all that carnage. IMO even if you need a ladder or need to climb up on top to sweep the slides off, wouldn't you need to do the same as often to keep the slides clean? We are very anal about pulling the awning in when we are not in our rig, would we need to pull the slides in as well whenever we leave? To many potential issues vs benefits for us to deal with them.

Tundra2084

To me its also a little added insurance in the way of keeping water out of our unit. Anything that helps keep your unit dryer and keeps potential water or twigs out of the unit is a good thing not to mention making life easier is well worth the price. We know of someone who has a 2014 cyclone and it had a big problem with water getting into it via the bedroom slide. No matter what the dealer did to stop it didn't work. They ended up getting slide toppers installed on the bedroom and livingroom slides and no more problems with water. They were so unhappy with the cyclone and the leaks that they were going to take a loss and trade it, but now love it.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Would not be without them either. Get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would not be without my slide toppers. We love them !!! I have had to do some tweaking on them and add center support because they are so long. Once I've got them dialed in they are wonderful. I had one that was making a lot of noise in the wind and was flapping in the middle so two weeks ago before our trip I finally got up there and pinned it, dismounted it, then pulled the slide in half way, rolled the awning up a few more turns, and remounted it. It definitely made a big difference.
I wish I had the Dometic factory install toppers. They are a better cleaner fit to the Landmark then the Care-free toppers are.

plus I LOVE THE LOOK OF A RV WITH TOPPERS.

jnbhobe

I sweep all of the awnings off as the slides come in and I don't have to get on the ladder

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gaffer

No on toppers if you often camp where it is windy. We get wind pretty often at Lake Havasu over the winter. Many people pull their slides in and others wish they had. I had them on my last BH but ordered the beach house without.

Last edited:

Jeeper

Thank You All! Pretty much makes my mind up, get the slide out awning...which is how I was leaning.

We were at the Gander, Indiana KOA for the week...nice place. Sites a little "close", couldn't put the awning out fully, but aside from that, no complaints. Looking forward to camping this fall...now that the last kiddo is off to college, our weekends will no longer be tied up with friday night football games, drama, band concerts....looking forward to the empty nest!