Questions on Towmax Tires and price 4200

cdensomnia

Hello all,

This is my first post as I have been lurking and reading for a while. My wife and I are going to be purchasing a toy hauler very soon and after extensive research I think we narrowed the field down to the Cyclone 4200. Just love the layout and side patio. I do have a couple questions. I have read all about the tire issues...BTW, The dealer is a few hours from me so most of my correspondence has been via email. Anyways, I asked about the tires. The response I got is below.

"The tires that people seem to be having trouble with were from an identifiable batch that has a recall on them. The ones we have on the trailer here are not part of that luckily. The tires that are on the unit will be warrantied for defects for a year from the date of purchase as well. To upgrade the tires to G rated ones would run right at about $2100 through our tire guy here. The triple axles seem to be doing alright with these so far."

Can anyone confirm this story? From all the reading I am not sure this is correct that there was a batch of bad tires. I have since sent another email confirming if they are towmax tires or not.
Is there anything else I should be asking in terms of negotiating besides the price? This dealer has advertised ***** for the 2015 Cyclone 4200 with the following items listed as "options". I haven't negotiated yet but this seems like a fair starting price. What does everyone think?

Exterior Graphics -Red
4 Door Refer
Ramp Door Patio
Correct Track Align system
Second 13.5 A/C
3 season Garage Wall
6pt Auto Level
Garage 13.5 BTU A/C
Patio

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi cdensomnia,

Welcome to the posting side of forum life.

The dealer's mention of a recall is partially correct. It applies to a batch of 15" Towmax tires, NOT to the 16" Towmax tires that you might find on many heavier 5th wheels.

For peace of mind, you should consider upgrading from Load Range E tires to Load Range G. The $2100 mentioned by the dealer, may be a factory upgrade to Goodyear G614 tires. Heartland is also shipping Sailun S637 tires on some larger rigs (also LR G). Sailun seems to have a good rep and cost about 1/2 as much as Goodyear. The factory may be able to upgrade to Sailun, or you could do that locally at the dealer for a lot less than $2100.

If done locally, you need to verify that the wheels are rated at 110 psi / 3750 lbs.

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for the Cyclone sales team so you can find out first hand what is available.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I edited your post, as retail pricing is not allowed on the forum.
Personally if it were me I would not allow Towmax tires on my rig.
You have a nice list of options there, but I would add dual pane windows if they are available for the Cyclone.
Why not order one built the way you want it including upgraded tires.

Peace
Dave

RoadJunkie

Simply ask the dealer to offer evidence supporting his data regarding the tires and the recall. The condemnation of the Towmax brand on this forum has achieved quite a bit of momentum. As always, do your research and roll in anecdotal experience from the forum, but ultimately, of course, the decision is yours. Be cautious of doomsday predictions that may let fear drive your decision, I mean even Goodyear G614s have been known to fail. Whatever tire you choose, be sure the date code on the tire is very current. Good luck.

GOTTOYS

I would never have Tow Max tires on anything I plan to travel with. A good question for the dealer...If they give you a one year warranty on the tires does that mean they will also cover any consequential damages from when they blow out?...Don

cdensomnia

I will not be purchasing this unit if it has towmax tires thats for sure! How about the options. I wont be full timing so i am not concerned with the residential frig or canadian acrtic package. Anything big you all think i am missing?

gpshemi

Sorry, but I think it's all a bunch of malarki. I bought mine in 2010 (mid year) and it came with TowMax. When we did the PDI, I not only pointed out the tires looked odd, but I took pictures of each of them and the defects I found on them (serious beyond reasonable indents to name one). Long story short, 600 miles on her maiden voyage and one went out and tore up the fender flare. I called Heartland for support and got a basic "tough luck" response even though I showed concern at the PDI, and supplied pictures. I was told the imperfections were typical of the brand, and Heartland had no support for it - even at 600 miles. I was less than thrilled with the support I got. However, I took it on the chin.

Most of the rest of that year was parked, and the following spring the tires were cracking on the side walls that I called TowMax. They wanted me to drive it to a dealer and I refused to put it on the road that way. I instead put the rig on blocks (no small feat btw), removed all 6 tires, loaded them in my truck and took them to a dealer who was stunned. TowMax covered the tires, but refused to cover the 7th one I lost at 600 miles (since long gone of course). A small fortune later I have Bridgestone Duravis R250' and love them. They are twice the tire and I've had really good luck with them.

Don't take the Towmax...you're literally buying yourself troubles. Been there done that.

brianlajoie

I agree with the comments about the tires, but I wouldn't walk from a deal just because the undesireable tires are on the trailer.

Since you want the 4200, I looked at RVtrader and there are 74 of that exact model on the market being advertised (brand new). As I see it the offer you are starting at is about 25 percent less than MSRP. I have seen advice saying to start at 30 percent of MSRP. Consider it January and the new models are coming out at the end of three months and not many are being sold right now. I would ask when the trailer was delivered to the dealer - if it has sat for 4 or 5 months already then time is on your side. If you are open to trading off a model close to you for one further away from you for less money, then I would look around and start out at 40 percent off of MSRP. At that price, you can replace the tires if needed. Make sure you have a comprehensive PDI list and walk through before you get the trailer. Happy hunting.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
As others have said, Towmax tires have a poor track record.

I would take the $2100 upgrade offer on the G614's. That seems to be a decent price for six tires, as the best price I have ever found on them is about $329 per tire. $340 is about average, if you buy them outright.

I would also insist that the tires are balanced and mounted for that price. You won't be sorry. Trace

Last edited:

jeffdee

I had a Towmax tire fail within the last week and a half (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/49982-ATF-Cyclone-Question-for-Heartland). I suggest that you tell the dealer to install 12 or 14 ply tires before you close the deal. Let him absorb the cost. Just do not accept the Towmax tires or replace them immediately when you receive the rv. I was lucky and caught my bad tire before it could damage my Cyclone. Heartland nor Towmax will cover the damage caused by a tire failure. These tires are not from a bad batch...just inadequate construction. They just cannot perform for the loads they carry.

cdensomnia

Thank you all for the thoughts. I ended up at a different dealer and having a trailer custom ordered to my exact specs which will definitely include the upgraded tires\wheels.

One question I had for the forum is when you negotiated your terms did any of you get told that a major bank (BOA) will offer a lower percent if we purchase the extended warranty they offer? It would mean we would be financing more at the beginning but over the life of the loan because the interest rate is lower we actually save even more money. I had never heard of this tactic which I am sure it is but they pretty much are backing us in to a corner to purchase the extended plan but we also save on the interest so I think thats ok.

Thanks!

jnbhobe

I don't think I have ever seen a good extended warranty check on the financing yourself and see what kind of rates you can get

branson4020

Icantre Member
Like John said, shop around for financing yourself. Like everything else the dealer provides, he's making money on the financing. Pretty easy to find 3.5%-4.0% rv loans right now. And, IMHO the extended warranties are a bad deal at any price.

kjm1970

cdensomnia, what the dealer is telling you is illegal. Purchasing a warranty to secure a lower rate is illegal. Make him aware of that and you will see him change his tone immediately. I did finance for dealerships for 15+ years and that is an old school tactic.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Do not buy an extended warranty from any dealer. Most of them do not cover much unless "you are riding a camel and eating a peanut butter sandwich" when the failure happens. Tires are NOT warrentied by HL, but by GY. Most appliances have 3 year warranty. After your 1st year...look a Good Sam for a warranty. Read what it covers before laying down any money.

cdensomnia

Yea i think you all had the same opinions as i did on the warranty. The trick here was the 1 percent rate drop because they wanted me to purchase the warranty. I did some research and it appears its not necassary illegal...sleazy yes! I ended up getting a discount on the warranty. This way i get the lower rate and am not paying a ton of money for the warranty. Atleast the warranty can be cancelled or transferred. I am saving a lot of money so if i have to jump through a couple hoops then so be it. They should be submitting the order today! Now the wait begins!!

BLHFUN

I edited your post, as retail pricing is not allowed on the forum.
Personally if it were me I would not allow Towmax tires on my rig.
You have a nice list of options there, but I would add dual pane windows if they are available for the Cyclone.
Why not order one built the way you want it including upgraded tires.

Peace
Dave

Dual pane windows and upgraded tires and wheels. Get it directly from factory and start at 30% off MSRP on the extras. If you do it after the fact, you're stuck with extra rims and tires and not going to get 30% anyway. I didn't do either and regret every second of it! Love everything else about my 4200

OEFVET

Before the order goes in look at the order sheet line by line and ensure you have everything you want included. Get a copy as well.