R.O. water systems

fljlcw

Hi all I posted this in mods but got no responce feel free to move it wherever its best suited we have had reverse osmosis systems in our last 2 trailers and our home before we started our full time life we really enjoy boondocking but if we dont turn off the R.O. we can only make 3 or 4 days before we suck the fresh water tank dry we can get 7 to 10 days with it shut off I found on the Rv water store web site that they have A kit that will return the excess water used from the system back to the fresh tank. Some time back I designed A system where the excess water would go into A second fresh water tank and than we would use it for showers toilet washing etc. but it was going to be expensive to do what are you alls thoughts on returning the excess water back into the fresh tank. thanks Fred

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think the reason you aren't seeing much response to your thread is that very few RVer's, at least towables, are using this type of filtration system. Most of us use either single or double in line filters. I use a sediment and a charcoal whole house in line set up. We also purchase distilled water for the pooch. She has a sensitive tummy being in her golden years.

hoefler

We use a 5 micron charcoal filter on the water inlet. Carry bottled drinking water for the critters and us. Thought about installing an R/O system, still may do it. Returning the run off to a holding tank for other uses is an interesting idea. I have been looking at some units that will shut water flow off when the storage tank is full.

lwmcguir

You can purchase RO's that shut off after they fill the permeate tank. You are still going to have about 35% reject water which is now concentrated with the ions that are in the feed water. There really is no big issue with plumbing the concentrate back into the fresh water tank. This will increase the overall TDS of the tank but you are going to have to refill it anyway

We like RO water for the coffee and ice maker. Nice clear ice and the coffee taste the same no matter where we are. The old RO's never shut off so they just keep running and if you don't put the concentrate back in the fresh water tank you will go through a lot of water if you aren't hooked up to shore water.