Railroad Tracks

Is it just me or is there other Heartland owners out there concerned about crossing steep RR track crossing's? I am afraid the bed may hit the underside of the 5er? I have actually backed up several hundred ft before because of the steep up and down grade of the RR crossing. Curious!

Urban350

How much room do you have between the box rails and the bottom of the trailer? I have 6" and no problems so far but might go to 7" because of the areas I camp.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
No problems here either. I admit I have no steep RR crossings nearby either. I've been in a few situations though while parking or maneuvering in tight or steep angle and just go slow and keep an eye on the clearances.

porthole

Retired
One of the advantages to air ride hitches or pin boxes, you can max out the air and get some extra clearance. I do that frequently now to make sure my pin box frame will clear the trucks roll up cover sides.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have never had a problem with the trailer hitting the bed. However I have gone over a RR track in Arkansas to a COE park where they warn you about the bottom of the trailer possibably dragging on the tracks.

BC

Boca_Shuffles

Two other things to think about:

Remember that if your spare tire is under the trailer, this could hit on steep inclines and declines.

If you have a trailer hitch on the back of your trailer for bicycles, this can hit on steep inclines.

I did this pulling into a fuel station that was on a steep incline. I hit going in and hit going out.