Raising Landing Gear with a dead battery - a learning experience

porthole

Retired
Duane, I do believe that you are correct about the converter being 60 amps. But I do not believe that it will charge at 60 amps. I believe that it will take a 60 amp load before it goes up in smoke. I could be wrong.

This refers to the Cyclone, which has a Progressive 9200 series 80 amp converter - your mileage may vary.

From the PD site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. What is the maximum rate my Converter/Charger will re-charge my battery?
[/FONT]The 9200 Series and 9100 Series electronic Converter/Chargers can charge the battery at their maximum current output rating, provided there are no other 12-volt systems operating and if the battery is discharged enough to accept this charge rate. Progressive Dynamics presently manufacturers six different models of the 9100 series and four models of the 9200 series power converters as shown in the chart below. The last two digits of the part number indicate its maxim current charging capability in amps.

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=AutoNumber16 border=1 cellSpacing=1 borderColor=#4b7cbb cellPadding=2 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maximum Output & Charging Rate[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9200 Series Model[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9100 Series Model[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>30-amps</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>PD9130</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>40-amps</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>PD9140A</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>45-amps</TD><TD align=middle>PD9245C</TD><TD align=middle>PD9145A</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>60-amps</TD><TD align=middle>PD9260C</TD><TD align=middle>PD9160A</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>70-amps</TD><TD align=middle>PD9270</TD><TD align=middle>PD9170</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>80-amps</TD><TD align=middle>PD9280</TD><TD align=middle>PD9180</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The key here is this sentence:

The 9200 Series and 9100 Series electronic Converter/Chargers can charge the battery at their maximum current output rating, provided there are no other 12-volt systems operating and if the battery is discharged enough to accept this charge rate.

If your converter is the 9100 series I would defiantly recommend the cheap charge wizard upgrade, which is built in the 9200 series.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/about_power_converters.html

RollingHome

Duane, Do you by any chance know what the BH 3670 has in it for a converter ? Also, do know if our house batteries can take these kind of amps in charging a really low or dead battery without warping the plates ? Finally, I "assume" these are taper chargers, right ? If you don't know any of the answers, I understand. I still have not sat down and read all the paperwork that came with my unit. In the perfect world of Tom I hope to be able to do that next week while we are using the rig. In advance Thanks, Tom

porthole

Retired
Duane, Do you by any chance know what the BH 3670 has in it for a converter ? Also, do know if our house batteries can take these kind of amps in charging a really low or dead battery without warping the plates ? Finally, I "assume" these are taper chargers, right ? If you don't know any of the answers, I understand. I still have not sat down and read all the paperwork that came with my unit. In the perfect world of Tom I hope to be able to do that next week while we are using the rig. In advance Thanks, Tom

Tom - Don't know about the BH's, but you should have the manual for the converter in that big bag of stuff you got. And if it is Progressive, teh 9200 is the better model.

Most of the better converters are multi stage and will only output what the battery can take (unless there is a short in the battery).

If the battery is in decent shape it can handle the charge rate. You just need to be aware that heavily discharged batteries taking a lot of amps to charge will tend to boil off some electrolyte. So this needs to be checked periodically.