Ram 2500 & Elkridge e30

jbra

Hello there, I'm new to RV'ing and I've been considering getting a 5th wheel. I really like the Elkridge e30 5th wheel. Now here's my dilemma, hopefully some of you can help me wrap my mind around what my truck can and cannot handle with this 5'er.

I've got a 2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummin's Turbo Diesel.
GVWR is 10,000 lbs.
Towing up to 17,000 lbs.
GAWR Front is 6,000 lbs.
GAWR Rear is 6,500 lbs.
This next part is what has me worried because I don't know how 5'ers and payloads work with in relation to one another. The payload in the door jam says 1742 lbs. I got a different number from Ram 2,330 lbs. and online says my model is 1,960 lbs.

The e30 GVWR is 11,700 lbs. In my safe thinking 25% of 11,700 lbs. = 2,925 lbs. will be placed on the king pin/payload? Is this right? Or 20% of 11,700 lbs. = 2,340 lbs.

Can my truck handle this 5'er safely?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your feedback.
Jason

jimtoo

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Normally about 20-22% goes on the pin. You will probably be close to max, but people tow everything with anything it seems. You will get lots more opinions soon from our other members I'm sure.

Enjoy the forum and hope you get the Elkridge and make lots of good memories.

Jim M

danemayer

In addition to the pin weight, you have to include in payload the weight of the hitch, tools, bed liner, bed cover, passengers, and anything else you carry in the truck. You'll be over the payload spec. You might want to visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing for more information.

Rrloren

Are you sure about that payload? That sounds light for a 2014 Ram. If the towing capacity is 17000 lbs. I think the payload is well over 2000 lbs.

jbra

Are you sure about that payload? That sounds light for a 2014 Ram. If the towing capacity is 17000 lbs. I think the payload is well over 2000 lbs.

I wish I were making this up, that is a ridiculous payload for a 2500. It's laughable at best

Rrloren

I wish I were making this up, that is a ridiculous payload for a 2500. It's laughable at best

I just checked a Ram website and the 2014 2500 SLT with 3.42 rear and the 6.7 L diesel was speced at 2977 lbs. payload. Your door sticker cannot be correct! Heck I think the 1500's are around the 1900 lb range. You will be fine towing that trailer.

jbra

I just checked a Ram website and the 2014 2500 SLT with 3.42 rear and the 6.7 L diesel was speced at 2977 lbs. payload. Your door sticker cannot be correct! Heck I think the 1500's are around the 1900 lb range. You will be fine towing that trailer.

2014 ram 2500 mega cab Laramie edition w/ diesel is way less than 2977 lbs from what I've found.

I also get get different responses from everyone I ask about pulling a 5'er with this truck. I wish it were cut and dry so I can make a decision and move on.

johnpsz

Jason, I was just as worried about that before we decided on the e30, and I have a Ram 2500. I spent an afternoon putting together a spreadsheet and realized that the only time I would be near the 11700 would be if I had all tanks full and somehow also had 600 pounds of cargo beyond the normal gear. In other words my gear plus full tanks wound have a total weight of just over 11k, but then if you assume that you never really have full black and grey tanks, and even boondocking if those get filled other weights would be going down like food and beverage, fresh water tank and so on. According to my spreadsheet for how we plan on using the e30 and the weight of our gear, we will normally will be around 10,030# when starting out and lighter on the return trip. That being said, I still installed airbags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

jbra

Jason, I was just as worried about that before we decided on the e30, and I have a Ram 2500. I spent an afternoon putting together a spreadsheet and realized that the only time I would be near the 11700 would be if I had all tanks full and somehow also had 600 pounds of cargo beyond the normal gear. In other words my gear plus full tanks wound have a total weight of just over 11k, but then if you assume that you never really have full black and grey tanks, and even boondocking if those get filled other weights would be going down like food and beverage, fresh water tank and so on. According to my spreadsheet for how we plan on using the e30 and the weight of our gear, we will normally will be around 10,030# when starting out and lighter on the return trip. That being said, I still installed airbags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

What is the payload on your 2500? Have you had any issues towing the 5'er thus far?

driver311

i pull 43 foot DRVs . hook it love it. dont be a worry wart!!! i have a 14 2500 with air ride. adding air ride is the best add on u could ever get!!!!!!!!!!!! its from kelderman. ill never have another truck with out air ride it is GREAT..

johnpsz

What is the payload on your 2500? Have you had any issues towing the 5'er thus far?
Well my truck is an 07 quad cab short bed so it differs from the newer model, my door plate says 2160# payload, but here are the factory specs for mine:
2007RamTowingCapacities.jpg

With Airbags I have had more than 3K in the bed and although the brakes are also upgraded, it still came to a stop slower. I have a 10K gooseneck trailer that puts about 2500# one the hitch and the truck performs fine with that as well. As for the E30, we haven't towed it yet and take delivery of it next week, I literally just made the decision to buy it yesterday and took a few days debating on the weights like I described.

jbra

i pull 43 foot DRVs . hook it love it. dont be a worry wart!!! i have a 14 2500 with air ride. adding air ride is the best add on u could ever get!!!!!!!!!!!! its from kelderman. ill never have another truck with out air ride it is GREAT..

Did you replace both the front and rear or just the rear suspension?