Real height = published height?

Natesi

From an earlier post I asked about the real length and found out that the published numbers measured the INSIDE length... which makes no sense. But anyhoo, now I'm curious about the REAL height. The space I'm planning to rent has some trees that will have to be cut in order to get the BH in there and I want to make sure I tell them the right height (they are going to make a canopy for the BH to pass through).

Heartland says the 3670RL is 12ft 11 inches. Is that accurate? Does that include the very top most height, including the air conditioner? What if there's a second A/C installed?

Much thanks!

-Nathan

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the 3600RL with a second A/C (low profile) and we stand at 13' 2"...I'd make sure you have at least 14' of clearance...

2010augusta

With our Augusta loaded on the F-450 I have driven under a 13'3" overpass. We ride at just over 13' so 12'11" is a tad low. the Highest point is the Main A/C unit. the front A/C is just lower than the main A/C

Paul_in_MN

There will be variation in the height measurement due to the bed height and then hitch height within the truck. With a dedicated TV and trailer combination, like most of us have, we try to adjust everything so that the trailer sits level while being towed, and I suspect that is the published height.

Among the newer trucks the Dodge and Ford have the heighest bed heights, and as I see it have the most problem with getting the trailer to tow level. The GM trucks have a more moderate bed height. The dually trucks have different bed heights than the SRW trucks. Some other brand trailers have adjustments that can be made in the trailer axle suspension to allow raising them up to accomodate being towed by the way too tall new trucks.

So, as to your question, make clearance for 14 ft and you will have no problem no matter what TV is being used. Actually 13'-6" should be high enough as that is the legal max height in most states for any vehicle that does not have special permits for being oversize. But the extra 6" is mighty cheap insurance, especially if the ground is not level.

Enjoy your new 5er!!

Paul_in_MN

biggziff

So the published length numbers are actually inside dimensions? I was told that length dimensions are from the pin to the bumper. Is Heartland the only one measuring the inside? Confusing if it's true, no?

truknutt

Committed Member
So the published length numbers are actually inside dimensions? I was told that length dimensions are from the pin to the bumper. Is Heartland the only one measuring the inside? Confusing if it's true, no?

I can only speak of the Cyclone line. At one time the published lengths were inside "liveable" space measurements. My Cyclone 3210 was published at 33 feet; hence the 3210. When I parked it in my 39 foot garage bay was I surprised!! It turned out to be actually 36 and change. the 3210 represented the interior length.

There was discussion of this on the forum back when and then I believe in 2009 (actual calendar year, not model year) the factory started printing actual exterior lengths.

Rough guess: Two to three feet seems to be the usual difference between model number and exterior length.

If length is your final determining factor in choosing a certain model, have the dealer verify with the factory; or do it yourself with Customer Service to be sure.

Hope this helps..

truknutt

Committed Member
The space I'm planning to rent has some trees that will have to be cut in order to get the BH in there and I want to make sure I tell them the right height (they are going to make a canopy for the BH to pass through).

-Nathan

Don't forget the width up there. If any of those cut branches snag your rubber roof, you'll be upset!!:mad:

Northern Virginia
Like others have mentioned, the height varies with the truck and bed height. I have an 08 GMC that has a higher bed height than the previous years. If you look at Alan's rig (2010augusta)
moz-screenshot-2.png
//heartlandowners.org/image.php?u=5099&type=sigpic&dateline=1250768865 you'll see his Landmark rides nice and level. With my truck, it is impossible for my landmark to get that level or my 5th wheel would hit the bed of my truck. I have my Reese hitch at the highest setting to maintain 6 inch clearance over the bed rails. As such, the front of my Landmark rides higher than Alan's and my front AC unit is the highest point on my rig at 13'2".

John

Natesi

Don't forget the width up there. If any of those cut branches snag your rubber roof, you'll be upset!!:mad:

Thanks guys. Speaking of "width", I suppose those published measurements are not accurate either? What should I figure for exterior width, with the sliders in?

Thanks again!

-Nathan

2010augusta

I would figure 99-100" to be safe I measured 93" inside plus 2-2.5" walls gives 98" plus all the extra stuff outside the walls like awnings and vents.

RoadJunkie

Regarding the method by which Hearland measures the length of a 5th wheel, I contacted the factory a few days ago. Here is the unedited response:

We measure from the king pin to the rear bumper. We then subtract 9” for the extended pin box. If there is a rear ladder on the unit, this will not be included in the advertised length either.

Heartland Customer Service

Natesi

I would figure 99-100" to be safe I measured 93" inside plus 2-2.5" walls gives 98" plus all the extra stuff outside the walls like awnings and vents.

Thanks again man! I think they published 8 ft as the width and 100" is 8.3 ft, so that's fairly close to what they listed.

Natesi

Regarding the method by which Hearland measures the length of a 5th wheel, I contacted the factory a few days ago. Here is the unedited response:

We measure from the king pin to the rear bumper. We then subtract 9” for the extended pin box. If there is a rear ladder on the unit, this will not be included in the advertised length either.

Interesting... thanks for sharing.

porthole

Retired
the 3210 represented the interior length.

I was told at one of the RV shows that the most of the first 2-3 numbers represent living space.

3210 would break down as: 320 square feet of living space and a 10' garage

With my 3010 being the almost the same dimensions as your 3210 this makes sense. I don't have the loft that the 3210 does, hence 200 square feet less

And if this is correct that explains why most trailer models don't go over "4??". Until recently (if it passed) RV's were limited to 400 square feet.

BTW, our Cyclone measures just under 37'. So if the above quote is correct (-9" for the pin) that would put our trailer at close to the advertised length.

IIRC the height before the Mor/Ryde was added was higher then published. With the Mor/Ryde and hitched to th eGMC it is 13' 2"

BTW Cyclones are 5" wider then the non toy hauler models, 101" wide.

Ladders on the side (Cyclones), awnings and other extras also are not measured, nor do they count for maximum width on the highways.

Natesi

I'm not sure I understand. How would a 3670 break down then?

BTW, nice McCaw in your avatar. I love parrots.

2010augusta

I have never found any rhyme or reason to the 3670/Augusta number. It is 390 sq-ft and is 37.2 ft long for the inside of the rear wall to the base of the front cap in the closet. So maybe the actual frame is 36.7 feet in total lenght. just a thought

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
BTW, nice McCaw in your avatar. I love parrots.

Yeah he's a character, one of 4 reasons we got a toy hauler instead of........

Want him :eek:

He was our Christmas card a couple years ago. This year the dogs get the spotlight.

Attachments

• Cagney_&_Tree_05cc.jpg
    Cagney_&_Tree_05cc.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 14

CrazyScotsman

The stated length according to HL's website for my 3580RL is 38'8". The actual measured length including ladder is 40'7". The height has to be close to 13'6". My front a/c is not a low profile. Stated height according to HL is 12'11" .
I stear clear of any low underpass less than 13'6".